A/C Delete

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remove the entire A/C before? Wanting to know how big of an ordeal it is to remove? Also how much in weight is saved?

Doing it for weight reduction reasons (track car)

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon,
I would rather go on a diet than delete the AC, especially if I lived In Indiana/Ky. It also gets quite hot here in PA. You won't notice the weight savings but you will be noticeably hotter in the summer!
PAVenomRT/10

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon,
I would rather go on a diet than delete the AC, especially if I lived In Indiana/Ky. It also gets quite hot here in PA. You won't notice the weight savings but you will be noticeably hotter in the summer!
PAVenomRT/10

I hear what your saying but the heat doesn't bother me. I never run the A/C and even this year at Mid/Ohio I spent the entire day hot lapping in 110 temps with next to no problem. However I use a cool suit that far surpases anything an A/C system can do especially with the windows down. So for me the delete is just a weight loss option to the car.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, got it as you are primarily driving on the track. I drive about 50/50 track and street so AC is a must for me. I beleive the ACR ******** is 80 lbs lighter than regular ACR due to elimination of radio, AC, and insulation. I would assume that most of the 80 lbs is due to AC delete.
PAVenomRT/10

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, got it as you are primarily driving on the track. I drive about 50/50 track and street so AC is a must for me. I beleive the ACR ******** is 80 lbs lighter than regular ACR due to elimination of radio, AC, and insulation. I would assume that most of the 80 lbs is due to AC delete.
PAVenomRT/10

********'s still have AC. I'm guessing you would lose around 100lbs by removing the entire AC system.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
********'s still have AC. I'm guessing you would lose around 100lbs by removing the entire AC system.

I highly doubt it will be anywhere over 50lbs let alone 100.

My old Turbo Cobra had the A/C system removed, only due to the space constraints, and it was only 30lbs (Yes per a scale).

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will weigh all of my parts but my guess is less than 40 lbs. could be 50 and I am curious so I will weigh them. I have deleted my entire system and you will need to remove the entire dashboard to do this. It is hard to say the difficulty level as it depends on your mechanical aptitude. It will be this weekend before I can weigh the parts though.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!! Let me know what you find. If i cage the car over the winter then the A/C is coming out. Just didnt know how big a deal it is.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT worth the hassle for the weight. You might save 30 pounds all said and done on a good day just taking out the A/C, and thats only if you pull the dash and take out the evaporator. Short of going the distance and taking the WHOLE A/C system and heater system out as well as all of the plumbing, which would get you near 60 pounds, I wouldnt go near such a hassle for the gain.

The A/C is a LOT lighter than you think, it is all aluminum.

Compressor: 12
Evap: 4
Condenser: 4
Plumbing: 5-6
Drier: 1
Charge & Oil: 1-2

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe comprimise is to just take off the Compressor, A?C radiator and hoses from the engine compartment. Will also eliminate that additional drag.

Maybe taking out the heater system will also loose some weight, along with a bunch of hoses.

Probably toss the radio and amp while you are at it.

These could also be easily reinstalled if you later desire to sell the car. (perish the thought)

Track car has a harder time loosing weight because while you are tossing out creature comforts, you are adding heavier safety/performance goodies.

I Remember when Eric Messley was lightening Ron's car, he took out so much weight the car actually began to handle poorly, and the suspension needed to be reconfigured to deal with the ligher weight.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, I can't believe the compressor is only 12lbs. Any compressor I've ever dealt with has been twice that. Good to know .

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT worth the hassle for the weight. You might save 30 pounds all said and done on a good day just taking out the A/C, and thats only if you pull the dash and take out the evaporator. Short of going the distance and taking the WHOLE A/C system and heater system out as well as all of the plumbing, which would get you near 60 pounds, I wouldnt go near such a hassle for the gain.

The A/C is a LOT lighter than you think, it is all aluminum.

Compressor: 12
Evap: 4
Condenser: 4
Plumbing: 5-6
Drier: 1
Charge & Oil: 1-2

Wow! Thats some light material for sure! I had expected near 40lbs or so but barely 30 is very suprising.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala