ACR Warranty

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a new ACR and have a question. I read somewhere about breaking a "seal" on the suspension and voiding the warranty. Is this on the whole car? What is that about? What is the warranty on these cars?What if you do HPDE days with it...will it void the warranty? I race a Comp Coupe but my wife would like to do some track days and its much cheaper to run a street car than a Comp Coupe. Should I be buying one of the really cheap Z06's that are on the used market that do honor HPDE days under warranty...a friend blew a motor on his Z06 at a club open track and Chevy replaced the motor without any grief. What is Dodges position? Anyone????

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From page 13 of the ACR owners manual:

"Racing Not Covered:
The warranty does not cover the cost of
repairing damage or conditions caused
by racing, nor does it cover the repair for
any defects that are found as the result
of participating in a racing event. The
term racing includes but is not exclusive
to: wheel to wheel competition, timed
competitive events, autocross or other
off-road track events."

There was an article in a recent Viper magazine regarding setup of the ACR where I believe that the SRT engineers suggested that any track usage would avoid the warranty. If my recollection is accurate, this would seem to conflict somewhat with the language in the manual above.

/Rich

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been patiently waiting for Dodge to do warranty coverage on a cracked rocker arm panel for over 8 weeks now :mad: I can only imagine what type of investigation Dodge will do on an engine/suspension component on an ACR. This Viper and it's warranty coverage process/issues has given me a entirely different look at all Dodge products. My hopes of being an ACR owner is fading quickly with the simple panel problem I am having with my VOI9.

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have my manual close by, but I was under the impression that only a rear wing adjustment would void the warranty. Indeed, there are "stickers" on the shocks for adjusting compression and rebound. However, these stickers almost have to be removed because (a) it seems as if the settings were set randomly (settings are different for different owners from the factory) and (b) the left and right-hand side of my car were set differently. I also suspect that warranty coverage will vary based on dealer (i.e., how understanding is the dealer). I've heard that some dealers refuse warranty coverage on any SRT vehicle if they believe tracking the car was involved.

With the above said, what about buying a 3rd Gen Coupe, which can be done for $50s. For $3 to $5K you can add adjustable shocks. Also, you can add a roll bar or even a cage for safety. You won't have an ACR, but you'll still have a reliable car that will provide some adjustability for different tracks.

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"or other off road track events"...maybe that is their out? My insurance company covers HPDE events...so you would think a warranty would too. The shop forman at my dealership who is a Viper tech and crews on our race car says as long as the car doesn't look abused they should cover any problems...but he says these cars are tough and they have few problems. Maybe some people who cannot drive abuse their cars..that is not the case with me or my wife...we just like to drive FAST!

tiger6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I have not had any personal experience[yet] with this, I believe it depends on the dealer. I have talked with several dealers on a "hypothetical" basis and have been told yes by one and no by another. I would check around with some Dodge Dealers in your area and see what the response is on this.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I peeled the shock adjustment stikers off and was surprised that one of the shocks was wildly misadjusted. It was set to zero compression. If correcting the factory's errors void the waranty... jeez.

Greg

Reaction score
I was under the impression from talking with the SRT Experience trainers that the only thing that can be voided was the "shock" warranty if the stickers were broken or tampered with and there was a problem. Probably because that increased stiffness the higher settings provide will more rapidly affect the life cycle of the high performance valving.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression from talking with the SRT Experience trainers that the only thing that can be voided was the "shock" warranty if the stickers were broken or tampered with and there was a problem. Probably because that increased stiffness the higher settings provide will more rapidly affect the life cycle of the high performance valving.

Mark,
There's lot's of dealerships in Calgary that you guys should buy.... Please move here! We NEED a Woodhouse!

Greg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

That is almost EXACTLY what I was told as well, in Detroit....

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two warranty booklets supplied with the ACR. First is the "generic" 2008 Viper Warranty. On page 13, Section 3.4 - Racing Not Covered. In the ACR manual, Section 8.0 states Racing Not Covered. Also, the Splitter is not covered if adjustments are made. The warranty does not cover any adjustments or modifications to the Wing. Tires are covered for 12,000 miles, but not for excessive tire wear from track events. The same is true for Brake Pads/Rotors. Finally, for Adjustable Coil-over Shocks - The factory warranty is 12 months / 12,000 miles. KW Suspensions has an extended supplier warranty up to 36 months or 36,000 miles. The warranty is not valid if modifications or improper adjustments are made to the factory settings.

Personally, I interpret "improper" loosely. As I stated in a previous post, my settings were clearly haphazard (i.e., different at all four corners). The car would behave erratic over highways dips/bumps at 65-70 MPH until I adjusted the settings to the recommended Street Set-Up (Section 5.5).

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok! It seems like a lot of people would buy an ACR for track purpose and then worry about voiding the warranty, I have seen comp coupes be had for the same price as a new ACR (or a little more) and I'm talking almost new comp coupes 2006 with less that two races! I know there are some hauling expenses since it not street legal but I think the reward behind the wheel would be much better than an ACR. I am probably going this route,I already own an 06 coupe(keeping)and when the economy gets a little better it's comp coupe for me instead of an ACR. My motto is if I can't race it and get warranty then screw the warranty and mod the hell out of it! what do you guys think! One more thing! I don't plan to circuit the car just local track rental and viper days. Recreational only!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok! It seems like a lot of people would buy an ACR for track purpose and then worry about voiding the warranty, I have seen comp coupes be had for the same price as a new ACR (or a little more) and I'm talking almost new comp coupes 2006 with less that two races! I know there are some hauling expenses since it not street legal but I think the reward behind the wheel would be much better than an ACR. I am probably going this route,I already own an 06 coupe(keeping)and when the economy gets a little better it's comp coupe for me instead of an ACR. My motto is if I can't race it and get warranty then screw the warranty and mod the hell out of it! what do you guys think! One more thing! I don't plan to circuit the car just local track rental and viper days. Recreational only!

I teach or organize dozens of track days a year. When someone shows up with a race car I know they'll get hardly any track time. Fix, adjust, fix adjust. Set this, set that. It's all good and for some people a lot of fun but if you want track time and the driving is what's important to you the ACR is a better choice. If you like racing or like the setting up and mechanical aspect of things then get a race car. In my opinion race cars are great for racing.

BTW, 'race car' spelled backwards is 'race car'.:headbang:

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I teach or organize dozens of track days a year. When someone shows up with a race car I know they'll get hardly any track time. Fix, adjust, fix adjust. Set this, set that. It's all good and for some people a lot of fun but if you want track time and the driving is what's important to you the ACR is a better choice. If you like racing or like the setting up and mechanical aspect of things then get a race car. In my opinion race cars are great for racing.

BTW, 'race car' spelled backwards is 'race car'.:headbang:

Fireball I get it! but can't you just set a comp coupe on lets say mild set up and get track time. Pardon the road course newbe I would be, but I have raced for 20 years in NHRA and have had 6 second pro mod cars I can set up mild and make passes all day!
I know there's probably a bunch of adjustments on a road course car, but you be supprised on how much chassis adjusments are in a pro stock/mod car not to mention engine and trany (lenco/liberty)set up!

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you like racing or like the setting up and mechanical aspect of things then get a race car. In my opinion race cars are great for racing.
Well, there are race cars that don't require or even allow many mechanical adjustments, such as SRFs and FEs.

I might get some flak for this, but IMO if you only want to drive it at a track and aren't looking to get into any specific racing class, don't get any Viper. There are dedicated race cars that are cheaper to buy and race (generally because they are very light), and sometimes faster too (such as, again, the SCCA Formula Enterprise cars). Dedicated race cars also come with better safety equipment than street cars.

That said, I love my ACR, and wasn't looking for a dedicated race car.

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically, yes. They adjusted the rear wing, and the locking style fasteners make it easy to see that the wing has been adjusted. I'll bet the stickers on the shocks will fall off after one day of driving on rain soaked roads. Therefore, it might be difficult to prove the shocks were modified. Finally, I would say that setting one of the most coveted records classifies as racing. With this said, the Dodge dealerships will either make life easy or frustrating regardless of whether one tracks an ACR or other Dodge product.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got news for you guys...you cannot rely on any verbal interpretations of a warranty, which cannot alter the written exclusionary language in the manual. Its a matter of contract. Verbal statements are simply hearsay in a legal situation. Also, dealers have factory warranty reps to deal with. If you want to know how Dodge handles warranties, look at the various forums concerning Cummins deisel trucks..those guys (me included) have been chipping their trucks for years, making all kinds of mods. Many a blown motor warranty claim has been denied due to simple aftermarket items like intakes. Its a slippery slope fraught with red tape and human factors...good luck if you are counting on Dodge to put a new motor in your ACR after you miss a shift and overrev it and bend a valve or something..."pay to play" is the rule of thumb here...just my 2c.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there are race cars that don't require or even allow many mechanical adjustments, such as SRFs and FEs.

I might get some flak for this, but IMO if you only want to drive it at a track and aren't looking to get into any specific racing class, don't get any Viper. There are dedicated race cars that are cheaper to buy and race (generally because they are very light), and sometimes faster too (such as, again, the SCCA Formula Enterprise cars). Dedicated race cars also come with better safety equipment than street cars.

Don't get any viper!:buttkick: I think your missing the point Grant! If i wanted to compete in a certain class then I agree with you. But if I'm going out once in a while on the track. Then I want someting I feel good about! isn't this why you bought a viper to begin with! The thread was about warranty! and if I buy an ACR and make some fine tuning then hurt something drive it to the dealer and then they tell me it's not covered and BTW your warranty is void from now on the I rather buy a race car that will give me more of a rush and keep me safer while i"m doing it!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First of all there isn't a club around that would let you "race" in an ACR. I TTed a '00 Viper and had fun with upgrades but sold it for a full blown "race" car. I competed in "races" and had no fun, I sold it. An ACR is for fun track days and it the biggest kick in the ass I ever had. The ACR is incredible on a road course and a stock ACR put my highly road race modded Gen 2 to shame. I haven't met a car that drove up to the track that could pass me in the ACR ;)

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, my question was if my wife took an ACR to an open track (she has done several race schools and has an SCCA license) would it void the warranty...she is not going to miss a shift guys...and she would probably drive 95% you into the ground on a track. I already own and race a Comp Coupe (cc64)...and if you show up with a good setup you can be VERY competative in SCCA club racing (BP or GT1). The point of us buying an ACR is to just drive to the track for fun without the hassle of a race car/transporter/crew etc. Race cars have no warranty but a street legal car does or should. I have seen guys on the street abuse the snot out of a street car far worse than what we would do going around a track in an ACR.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian....Chances are if you track the ACR you will void the warranty...This goes back to Old School. When they built the ACR Dodge knew they would end up at the track. With the ACR's Dodge wants to sell Razor Blades for any repairs, just like the Comp Coupe. Can you blame them ? Things have changed since the first Viper ACR was introduced.

Get her the ACR, let her track it, void the warranty, have fun, then put her in the Comp Coupe.

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank...your the first to "get it"! Bought one today and will have in a few weeks. Soon, I will get her back into a race car and we can go racing together. Since she had the twins two years ago I have not gotten her on the track...once she gets back out there the bug will bite her once again. There are a few other ladies racing (Connnie Bogan here on west coast in VRL and SCCA )Comp Coupes so maybe I can get her out there with them too.

Reaction score
CCBrian, I hope she has riot with the new ACR, and what a great way to share some fun together.
With you knowledge and mechanical skills with these cars, adding fun with the wife beats having an ACR with a warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960