Advice on 95 vs 96

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I am close to purchasing a rt/10 from either '95 or '96. I am tossing between the yellow '95 and white '96. I am looking for advice from anyone here.
I almost pulled the trigger on a white one, but then realized it was a different hood and paint job. I've been on every used car website I could find to check the available inventories. My window of opportunity (read that as "while I have spouse approval") is now.

Thoughts?

BTW, I happened to be at a hotel when a few Vipers rolled in.
http://forums.viperclub.org/pennsylvania-west-virginia/637376-george-carols-steamtown-cruise.html

The guys I talked to were great and really got me hooked.

Thanks.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with the 95 for the sidepipes ... 96 has rear exhaust

Here is a quick rundown of differences

From the Viper Buyers Guide

Viper Buyers Guide

# 1995 RT/10
# Exterior colors: Red, black, emerald green, yellow
# Interior colors: Gray or optional tan
# New inside passenger door grab handled added
# New mesh pockets added to front of seat
# Factory double-bubble hardtop available
# Underhood insulation pad added
# Last 300 side pipe cars marked with pin-stamping on toe-box (heater cover) under the hood.

1996 RT/10
# Exterior colors: White w/blue stripes, black w/silver stripes, red w/yellow wheels
# Interior colors: Black (with body-colored steering wheel, shifter knob, and e-brake handle)
# New Wheels: 5-spoke, painted cast aluminum
# Rear-exit exhaust
# New GTS suspension (cast aluminum A-arms)
# Smaller 19 gallon gas tank
# Trunk with spare tire cutout
# Upgraded cooling system
# Tires: Michelin Pilot MXX3 SX: 275/40ZR17 and 335/35/ZR17
# Sliding side curtains
# New SMC hood replaces RTM hood
# Retains older V-10 but with 415 HP, 488 lb-ft torque

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
different cars. gen1 or gen2 sorta...its up to you.

i like both personally but id go for the 95 with the side pipes, assuming its clean and well taken care of

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few interesting facts about the 95 and the 96. The 95 is the last of the True Gen I's, last year for side pipes until the Gen III (03 and up).

The 95 was rated at 400 HP while the 96 was rated at 415. I have heard people refer to the 96 RT as a Gen 1.5 since it got the upgraded all aluminum suspension of its Gen II sister the GTS and the rear exhaust. The 96 RT did keep the Gen I engine.
Supposedly the extra 15 HP was gained from the transition to rear exhaust.

I guess over all it is dependant on what you want as far as color and what you find out there. Lots of Gen I's at cheap prices. Maybe the least desireable viper to the masses. Me myself I love it and prefer driving it over the GTS.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree, side pipes. Just curious, why a 95, or 96 you seem very year specific.

I guess it is partially based on price. I really like the white with blue stripe (WwBS). The solid red isn't my cup of tea. I was pretty settled on the WwBS, but the yellow '95 looks very sharp, especially with the contrast of a black top. I also liked the idea of the side exhaust from a historical significance aspect.

The WwBS that I liked is on luckymotors.com, but after a little research I figured out the hood isn't original and the paint job is new, but it looked sharp. The knocking noise was the reason I didn't buy it, but that got me on the white '96.

I really love the newer Vipers, but they are beyond the spouse-approved price. :nono:

Mark

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Having both, I'd say go for which ever you like...trying to pick the best car you can find that fits your budget.

With identical tires, the 95 is a bit of a rougher ride compared to the 96...but I would add that both are equally fun!!!

Put some money aside for a head gasket job and tires for both years!!!

Good hunting!!!

viperbuck93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah new hood and new paint, wrecked?
Which ever color or year is a personal thing, I am sure you will love your choice. After all it's a Viper!
Great wife to give you the go, is there a catch or did you just get a good one? Mine gave me the thumbs up three years ago. Good luck with the decision! :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers can be side exhaust. Very simple conversion for those that didn't come that way. And a killer opportunity to do a full exhaust upgrade while tinkering with the 10 sheetmetal screws that hold on a sill.

I would hardly consider where the pipes come out to be a make or break factor unless you are planning on going the purity of as built routine.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 96 RT. I wouldn't buy a pre 96 Viper because of the sidepipes. (they look great but don't sound good IMHO). The 96RT can be the best sounding Viper because it was the only ones created without side resonators which make is sound really nice if mixed with hi-flow cats. Anyhow, most people including myself do not find the sound of the split V10 exhaust appealing. Other notables is the suspension. Much improved over the original RT's.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at the dealership site with the '96. Yeah...there's something funny with the NACA duct and striping, as well as some goofy steering wheel, aftermarket stereo, etc.

I have a real issue with detailers "thinking" they are doing the right thing by soaking the dash with dressing. Just makes me wonder what else is being covered up with an agressive detail. I'd pass on that '96.

I had a 1994 years ago and recently got a 1996 RT for a companion to my 2000 GTS. I wanted a sidepipe car but for many of the reasons above got a 1996. In my opinion, the 96 drives lots better thanks to the GTS suspension. It also has the most rigid frame.

At least for me....I wanted the early car interior and liked the one year only black w/ silver stripes and wheels..as well as the black interior. It also sounds unique with the one year only exhaust for the RT. Again, I was looking for a sidepipe car, but am not at all dissappointed on what I have in the 96.

Best advice for you? Take your time. Alot of this comes down to personal preference. Some prefer yellow, some prefer sidepipes....whatever....get what you want. There have been lots of white 96s for sale recently if that's what you are after.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you found a Yellow '95 you are considering? If so let us know where it is, etc. and someone can check it out and/or give you an opinion based on pics, etc.

I always liked the White '96s...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really love the newer Vipers, but they are beyond the spouse-approved price. :nono:

Mark

If you have the money for a new one vs a 95 or 96 but you don't have spouse approval... then the next question would be... How attached are you to the Spouse...? Shoot us some pics of the Gen4 you like and the Spouse and we can probably help you out if you haven't made your decision by the time you've uploaded the pics...:dunno::lmao:

I like the pipes on a Gen1 and the 96 pointy stripes not so much...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 versus Gen 2 with sidepipes

You must be registered for see images

Gen 3 versus Gen 2 with sidepipes

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you found a Yellow '95 you are considering? If so let us know where it is, etc. and someone can check it out and/or give you an opinion based on pics, etc.

I am going to look at this yellow '95 tomorrow (Thursday).
Used 1995 Dodge Viper For Sale | Manasquan NJ

And then I'm swinging over to PA to check out this '96.
Selden Motors - 1996 Dodge Viper RT/10 Roadster - Stock# 100766

I am subscribing to this thread so if there are any comments, I will get the email on my phone.

Mark

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very sweet 95!! Looks very nice and clean! Hard to believe a 95 could still fetch $35K.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ed

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very sweet 95!! Looks very nice and clean! Hard to believe a 95 could still fetch $35K.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ed

I cannot see $35k for it, even with the top. If it were for sale by owner it would be better so one could get more information such as owner history, service records, etc. but maybe they know the story.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 96 RT. I wouldn't buy a pre 96 Viper because of the sidepipes. (they look great but don't sound good IMHO). The 96RT can be the best sounding Viper because it was the only ones created without side resonators which make is sound really nice if mixed with hi-flow cats. Anyhow, most people including myself do not find the sound of the split V10 exhaust appealing. Other notables is the suspension. Much improved over the original RT's.

I disagree about the sound. My gts sounds good but the 94 rt/10 sounds absolutely animalistic! lol...but everyone has their own likes and dislikes . Love those sidepipes too!:drive:

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree about the sound. My gts sounds good but the 94 rt/10 sounds absolutely animalistic! lol...but everyone has their own likes and dislikes . Love those sidepipes too!:drive:

I hate to say it but a stock Gen I does resemble a UPS truck's sound...changing out or deleting the cats and/or mufflers is a must do!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like that 95 from the pics, price is high IMO but if its clean enough and checks out...go for it.

id run the vin thru chuck tator before going to look at it

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, they only made 324 White/Blue RT/10 in 96.

They 96 is best of both if you ask me, and is often called the Gen 1.5. It has the engine of the Gen I, but the suspension of the Gen II.

I love mine, and still drive even though I now have a Gen III.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked before buying mine...and I think I may have some info on these two. My memory may not be perfect...but I think I know a bit.

The '95 was sold awhile ago by Bernie at BJ Motors and seemed to be beautiful. It was later listed on the Manheim Auction site...and is now obviously at the dealer listed. In fact, when at the Manheim site I think it was in either North Jersey or NY.

The white '96 was in Lafayette Hill, PA for sale on eBay. I remember because I had just bought mine and a friend lives in Lafayette Hill. I don't think it sold on eBay so perhaps the dealer bought it from this owner.

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey markk - as everyone stated so far, I agree about it coming down to personal choice. Both Gens have their differences. I just recently bought a Yellow '95 Viper RT/10 that had 14,400 miles on it and LOVE IT!!!!!!! I picked mine up for $32,500.00 US - inlcuded in the price was a set of almost new PS2s with about a 1000 miles on them (I did get the original Michelins, too); 4 new brake pads; an RT/10 Car Bag with Car cover; and enclosed shipping worth about a $1000 from Fresno, CA to Blaine, WA (I live in BC, Canada).

Yes, it would be great having actual windows as found in the Gen 2 car - but, you can always get aftermarket side windows. That is my only small and VERY minor issue on my Gen 1. But I also don't plan to drive it during bad weather - only when it's clear and free from rain. Hell, even if it's December and a clear day, I'll just throw on a winter jacket, gloves and toque and go for a boot! The car is just that much fun to drive (and you get a LOT of attention, too, especially with my yellow Gen 1 I noticed where I live).

I did see that Yellow Viper RT/10 Gen 1 for sale you are lookng at tomorrow when I was looking for mine (which was about 3 months ago). As said on the forum, do physically check it out. And as per JonB from Parts Rack - make sure to start the car (and it should within 3 seconds or less). When I finally received my car, I had an issue with the Fuel Pump (check valve problem). I knew this as JonB and others on the forum advised me as my car would crank over about 12-15 seconds before finally starting. But that is another story.

Good luck in your quest for a Viper and keep us in the loop!