Advice on 95 vs 96

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 95 Green/Tan. I LOVED that car. the ONLY reason i got rid of it was the windows. I had the Autoform top, and the soft top with 96 slide windows, and either way it became annoying. For the exhaust i had roe racing exhaust with Hi-flow cats.

I now own a GEN 2 2001, and the cars are night and day. If you are considering spending low to mid $30's you can find a VERY nice GEN 2 which i would be willing to bet you would be much happier with. Trust someone who owned a GEN 1 and did EVERYTHING You could possibly do to it. GOod luck.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames brings up a point that many brought to me when I was looking. The GenII cars do have roll up windows, the newer interior, more powerful engine, etc. At least for me, I have a Gen II GTS and I wanted the earlier car. To each their own I suppose...but for me...a Gen I was a must.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '96 isn't quite a Gen 2 ... the '96 GTS has windows, the '96 RT/10 still has the side curtains, it isn't until '97 that the RT/10 gets power windows.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I checked out both cars yesterday, but Brian's wouldn't let me drive due to insurance policy. I don't remember the guy's name who actually drove (not the sales guy), but he cranked it up to 100 MPH three times. He was showing me the power. After I left, I got to thinking that I didn't get to really experience a more typical drive. Also got to thinking about how he drives that when no customers are with him.

The white 96 I drove rides hard. Perhaps that is expected, I'm not sure. It had a lot of scrapes on the bottom of the bumper (like the driveway was elevated) and the cigarette lighter appeared well-used, although there was no smell of smoke.

One reason I never liked buying a used car is because I'm not mechanically inclined enough to deal with problems. I am completely impressed with the amount of help I've received on this forum. That said, I'm changing my approach a bit. I am going to look for someone here who is selling their ride. I'm also open to a dealer who is on this board as long as they are either a viper owner or a forum supporter. I will post a new "wanted" thread and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help. It has only reaffirmed my desire to be part of the Viper family.

Mark

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Mark. Why a dealer would not let you test drive it beyond me. Of course, I did look at one '94 and the owner would not let me drive. He was a really nice guy...and I'm glad we met...but I've had now 4 Vipers and driven countless high performance cars...but he insisted we just go for a ride.

Anyhow...I have only seen one Viper without the front fascia scraped up and that's on my 2000 GTS I bought new. When buying a Viper secondhand you should expect to have to do some minor paintwork under the fascia.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk about OBD caused a reminder. When I first got my '96, it obviously needed PA inspection. According to my Tech, 1996 is the first year for plug-in emissions inspection. 1995 and down needs to go on the rollers.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Is there a quantifiable premium for a "last 300 side exhaust" car? Can I safely assume that VINs within 300 of the last VIN fall into this category? The only one I've seen with this designation in the listing is a green, but I have seen some reds with high VIN numbers.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a quantifiable premium for a "last 300 side exhaust" car? Can I safely assume that VINs within 300 of the last VIN fall into this category? The only one I've seen with this designation in the listing is a green, but I have seen some reds with high VIN numbers.

I doubt it. Unless like Dave said, you find that one guy who for whatever reason is gungho about getting a last 300 side exhaust car. In short, don't plan on any premium. I believe they were all green. Viper VINs are not numerical (except for GT2's and 92's(?)), so a high VIN # could've been 1 of the 1st produced for that given year.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it. Unless like Dave said, you find that one guy who for whatever reason is gungho about getting a last 300 side exhaust car. In short, don't plan on any premium. I believe they were all green. Viper VINs are not numerical (except for GT2's and 92's(?)), so a high VIN # could've been 1 of the 1st produced for that given year.

i agree. this is how the final editions are. the numbers are all out of order.

HardCore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...but that got me on the white '96.

Mark

BEFORE you committ to 1, I have a very nice 1 of a kind white '96w/19K with custom color keyed interior and few other subtle mods & goodies (have all original parts). Search this forum for "Somerville NJ car show" & you'll see the car & interior. Chuck Tator did the recalls, maintained & knows the car & vouched for it, which is why I got it. V10enomous & some other guys know the car. I'm in NNJ, em me for more info [email protected]

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEFORE you committ to 1, I have a very nice 1 of a kind white '96w/19K with custom color keyed interior and few other subtle mods & goodies (have all original parts). Search this forum for "Somerville NJ car show" & you'll see the car & interior. Chuck Tator did the recalls, maintained & knows the car & vouched for it, which is why I got it. V10enomous & some other guys know the car. I'm in NNJ, em me for more info [email protected]

I can vouch for ********'s car. We were out Saturday together. Others here have seen it too. The interior is incredible and it has some nice touches all over with high end windows and everything. Very straight and clean. Runs and sounds strong...:2tu:

Here's the thread he mentioned... I think he's crazy for letting it go...

http://forums.viperclub.org/general...s-bridgewater-somerville-nj-cruise-night.html