Advice on driving experience

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a narrow minded one like myself ;)

There are exceptions to the rule, but most females that I know don't like a viper for the same reasons I do. Heck, most men don't either.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the Lotus like Chuck says. It's a fun car, have a blast.

Viper is a commitment and if you are a true car guy, not a guy that wants a fancy name in a car, but a brake fluid in your viens, greese in your fingernails kind of man....The viper will grab you and never let you go. If you're debating...run, you're not that man. oh, and BTW...I don't work on my Viper because it needs it....it's foreplay.

It's the difference between owning a Golden Retriever for a pet as opposed to a Pit Bull. Both make wonderful pets.... but one of them needs a little more attention in it's handling and has the potential to be explosive while the other is near dull in its temperament but pleasant and predictable. A Pit definitely takes a bit more commitment to keep safe.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been there/done that with the vette and other 'safe' cars, and I have to tell you, I have NEVER had as much 4 yrs tracking my Z06 as I did one wknd in my Viper.:headbang:

Ok, the 'bite' factor? Sure, it's definitely there, I see waaayyy too many Vipers with '5K miles' oh and uhhh...'2K miles' and they are 10 years old:rolaugh: THAT'S where all these posted crashes come from, people who DON'T have seat time in the car, who have not put it through the paces and who have not spun it out and know how to handle it in a controlled environment.

Get a Viper if you are looking for raw power, brute force, unbelievable lines and a 'wow' factor you have never seen before!

You're makin' it hot in here Leslie.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's the difference between owning a Golden Retriever for a pet as opposed to a Pit Bull. Both make wonderful pets.... but one of them needs a little more attention in it's handling and has the potential to be explosive while the other is near dull in its temperament but pleasant and predictable. A Pit definitely takes a bit more commitment to keep safe.

And the Viper is like owning a Bull Mastiff. Pretty mellow, although it does look like it can become nasty, but quick to rumble and the biggest DOG on the block.

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the Viper is like owning a Bull Mastiff. Pretty mellow, although it does look like it can become nasty, but quick to rumble and the biggest DOG on the block.

Ted

Any large dog capable of mass destruction you need to take extra care. Done properly, they make far better pets than the standard popular breeds.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get one with run flat tires, ditch them and get some Pilot Sports, etc and a good alignment. That will cure many issues.

Geez, is THAT the truth! Smartest thing I ever did, HUGE improvement on highway driving, my Viper was 'darting' all over the place with those runcraps:lmao:

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From first hand experience I couldn't agree more with the following.........

"just make sure the tires are warm and the streets not cold"

This goes double if your tires are old.

When I bought my 96 in 08 it still had the original tires on it (could tell by the date code stamped into the sides of the tires).

I'm here to tell you it was downright dangerous. The tires were way hard with very little traction ability.

So don't get stupid with old tires and don't get stupid when it's cold.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good comments, but I'm partial to the Gen 4's which is why I got a new Gen 4 coupe. They are the best package IMO. I'd get a new gen 4. I used to like Esprits as well, but doesn't hold a candle to the Viper, esp Gen 4's.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree with everyone who has called out the run-flat tires - I had them on my '04 last fall. At the time I was that ham-****** newbie who drives the car in the cold without thinking about tire-temp. I experienced exactly what it sounds like you're afraid of - had the car about a month, put 1200 miles on it and then ran it into a telephone pole at 40+mph with my dad in the car. I'd have to agree with RTTTTed on the strength of the Viper to protect you if you do screw up - my dad and I were out of the car practically without a scratch.
I now have my 2nd Viper, and I did some agonizing over it before jumping in again. For me, the Viper is the only car that I dreamed about for the last 10 years, so I felt like I needed to do it. I didn't worry about hurting myself with another Viper, I worried about breaking another Viper! I think the thread gets at that too - you need to love it. The Viper isn't a casual sports car.
As for your life insurance - don't stress it: spend a little on new tires right away if the Viper you buy has run-flats on it! The PS2s on my new car are night-and-day different from the ZPs on my '04.

And as everyone here has said - respect the ridiculous amount of torque and it will reward you bigtime!
Have Fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc