ALL MOTOR BUILD!!(Pics)

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The angle of the cross hatch looks like hell. Atleast it does in that pic. It may just be the pic, but I am not too sure it is.

Looks like the hone was moving upward and downward much too fast. That is unless the ring manufacturer calls for such a spec?

Or much to slow????:dunno:

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After further review, there is nothing wrong with the cross hatching:drive:

But BIG THANKS TO MIKE (99 RT/10)!!!

The rocker stands I bought were for a GEN3 and Mike came through and sent me his GEN2 stands to keep this build going!!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the way to perform a DIY build. Take your time, get some really good parts and enjoy the process. I would say the 600 mark will be achieved easily and I cant wait to see/hear the car. Very nice setup.

J

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see a easy 600rwhp in that setup. I'm glade you took my advice and went with the higher CR...you will be happy with it. My motor is REAL happy with that cr.

For the most part, you have the N/A Build I wish I could have done at the time. The only thing I would do different I would add/change would be to make it a 510cid...or use a SRT crank and make it a 522cid stroker. You could use a slightly larger cam and make about 650rwhp.

Get that thing done and well meet up and get some vid of us doing some 50-150mph roll-ons in mexico.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your going to love that N/A power! If I go through my motor again, I will go with 11:5/1 as well. Vipers love compression.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice list of parts! The stock intake will kill your combo, unless it is heavily ported.

I run a bone stock manifold with stock throttle bodies, airbox and filters and make 585 RWHP.

vp97

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also run a bone stock intake and tbs. My combo is good for 603whp and 610wtq. With such a large cam, he will need rpm and a bunch more air to make his goal of 650.

vp97

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats good news! I just completed a gen2 stroker with Good heads on it,very similar to your package. With stock tbs and port matched intake, it did 626hp/622tq. It was was starving for air past 5500rpm. I do have a set of 70mm tbs to put on it and then back to the dyno it goes. With your aftermarket manifold, I think it will be well over 650hp but at a much higher rpm. Should be a mean SOB when you get all worked out!

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All of you N/A guys with over 560rwhp....

...ALL OF YOU CAN RUN HIGH 10'S ALL DAY LONG ON PUMP GAS AND STREET TIRES...

01 GTS is going to have more power than me. I've run 11.01@128mph w/ 1.9 60ft time. I think my ACR has some 10.80's in it. I think when Steve is done...he will have atleast 650rwhp N/A. I bet with some slicks and a few more tricks...he'll be in the 9's.

GO GTS GO

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of you N/A guys with over 560rwhp....

...ALL OF YOU CAN RUN HIGH 10'S ALL DAY LONG ON PUMP GAS AND STREET TIRES...

01 GTS is going to have more power than me. I've run 11.01@128mph w/ 1.9 60ft time. I think my ACR has some 10.80's in it. I think when Steve is done...he will have atleast 650rwhp N/A. I bet with some slicks and a few more tricks...he'll be in the 9's.

GO GTS GO

I've been trying to make the 10 sec club, but I get booted after a couple of runs each time. With track days few and far between it's been tough. Hopefully I'll have another chance soon, I just need some new tires. 11.29@129mph 1.8 60 ft. with a really heavy cross wind and an 85 degree air temp.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick 2-part question maybe someone can help provide some info on....I, like several others are still using the stock intake manifold. At what point (what is an indicator) that one would benefit from having it port-match, etc? Secondly, is the power gain mainly at peak or would it provide increased performance throughout the power band?

Thanks in advance!

hardtop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have ported heads the ported intake will pick up power everywhere.

Last edited:

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you mis-understood my question or more likely, I didn't express myself clearly.

I know the impact of the ported heads, I have those already. My question is regarding porting/modifying the stock intake manifold.

Thanks.

hardtop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had cars pick up 12-15 rwhp in the midrange with a ported intake, but it need a good set of heads to do it.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That looks like a great build. I have found in the past that a few simple things can help get the peak numbers you want. First off, verify your compression ratio. These engines love compression with a big cam. I have had engines pickup 50 rwhp with a point change. You can get a cylinder and combustion chamber volume check tool on line for about $100. Cranking compression should be at least 180 psi (even with that cam). Just changing to a thinner gasket can get you 1/2 point.

Centerline the cam for peak power, you may loose torque down low but will gain power from 5000-6200.

Use a 5 into 1 merge header. 1 5/8ths to 1 3/4 step headers with 29 inch primary tubes and a Burns merge make best peak power. CDI, Archer, SVS and American Racing have made headers like this.

Do not go with too big of an injector, with low vacuum and a big nozzle the engine will be hard to tune down low and will run too rich when cold. This tends to wash the oil out of the rings and cause higher oil consumption.

There are some changes you can make for windage losses as well, this can add some hp.

Just my 2 cents. Hope to see you make those numbers with a NA build.

Reaction score
Your intake is stock? I thought it was at least port matched. :confused:

I've had solid 10-12 hp gains (peak #) reported back to me on the back2back tests done in the past.

Ever upgrade the fuel system?

Greg

Quick 2-part question maybe someone can help provide some info on....I, like several others are still using the stock intake manifold. At what point (what is an indicator) that one would benefit from having it port-match, etc? Secondly, is the power gain mainly at peak or would it provide increased performance throughout the power band?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hey Dan, how are you doing out there?

Steve is one of those guys that makes an awesome customer. Why? Main reason is he listens. The compression is about as high as he should go on pump gasoline, he let me talk him into a bigger cam, the qunch is very tight etc.

I really like N/A horsepower. I hope it does well.

Greg

That looks like a great build. I have found in the past that a few simple things can help get the peak numbers you want. First off, verify your compression ratio. These engines love compression with a big cam. I have had engines pickup 50 rwhp with a point change. You can get a cylinder and combustion chamber volume check tool on line for about $100. Cranking compression should be at least 180 psi (even with that cam). Just changing to a thinner gasket can get you 1/2 point.

Centerline the cam for peak power, you may loose torque down low but will gain power from 5000-6200.

Use a 5 into 1 merge header. 1 5/8ths to 1 3/4 step headers with 29 inch primary tubes and a Burns merge make best peak power. CDI, Archer, SVS and American Racing have made headers like this.

Do not go with too big of an injector, with low vacuum and a big nozzle the engine will be hard to tune down low and will run too rich when cold. This tends to wash the oil out of the rings and cause higher oil consumption.

There are some changes you can make for windage losses as well, this can add some hp.

Just my 2 cents. Hope to see you make those numbers with a NA build.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your intake is stock? I thought it was at least port matched. :confused:

I've had solid 10-12 hp gains (peak #) reported back to me on the back2back tests done in the past.

Ever upgrade the fuel system?

Greg

Hey Greg,

Nope, intake is still untouched. Fuel is still stock too.

Plan on taking care of both in 2009, which should push me over the 600rwhp mark:D

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan, how are you doing out there?

Steve is one of those guys that makes an awesome customer. Why? Main reason is he listens. The compression is about as high as he should go on pump gasoline, he let me talk him into a bigger cam, the qunch is very tight etc.

I really like N/A horsepower. I hope it does well.

Greg

Haha...I'm flattered Greg.

But Greg was the biggest help of anybody on what the final specs needed to be and what I needed for it all to work together to shoot for big numbers in the end.

And Dan:

The cam was advanced 2 degrees IIRC.

The 65lb injectors will be scaled down with the Vec3, hope I don't have any problems there.

Steve

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a very nice build!

GG did my heads too, I kept the stock pistons and the car dynoed @ 575rwhp. on a 93 deg. day.
My CR is 10.66, and GG did port match the intake manifold.
The stock TB are also ported by DLM, I did keep my stock injectors as per by DLM.
I agree with Dan about the tuning down low with the large injectors. I had the some problem
with my tunning due to my large cam, even with the stock injectors. I still get some idle hang when
engine is cold and when engine is coasting. Need to visit DLM again to correct the problem.

I hope you reach those numbers. Good luck to you.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice numbers! I guess my biggest concern will be the tuning, but Joseph Dell said he would help with that.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost there!

Here are some crappy pics from my blackberry:

You must be registered for see images attach

Up close of the billet valve covers that a friend is making:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics