Alum open trailer

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at an aluminum open 17' trailer today. Built by Forest River, $5495. Nice looking. I was in my Viper and told the sales guy I did not think it would go up on the ramps he had. He said let's try. He hooked it up to a truck and the angle was too steep with the included 6' ramps to clear the splitter. He came out with some folding 9' ramps and it almost worked and if I wanted to push it, it would have probably made it. What are the longest available ramps? Another foot would have probably made it. I thought if I could get a front shield for the trailer, it might not be a bad deal.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you look at the one in the classfieds???? its almost new- iv seen it- nice nice nice

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Iwould think you could make a couple quite easily. I had to do that for the midrise lift in my garage. Spend 400 bucks on a couple of ramps. I dont think so. Very easy project

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Also, you might be able to raise the front of the trailer using the trailer jack.

I have ramp extenstions on my enclosed trailer but due to the lowered height of my ACR, I still have to raise the front of the trailer to successfully load the car. It doesn't take much.

Good luck,

Dan

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also put boards under the rear tires of the tow vehicle, this forces the rear of the trailer down further....also put a set of boards under the ramps that touch the ground so that the viper being loaded front tire is up before it crosses the beginning of the ramps...my $.02 ( sometimes lucky enough to see a small dip in the parking lot, )

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave the boards/ramps at home! Several of the guys in the Houston club are using a Sloan Rollback Trailer for their ACR's, looks like the way to go :2tu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolw2smrbN4
I just saw a used one of those for sale and close with no bids on eBay at $3500 last week. (Location was Nashville.) That would have been a pretty good deal, I think.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How is this one better, it looks like a huge approach angle?

The ramps on a trailex 8045 allow the loading of extremely low cars.
the trailer also weighs only 900 pounds and one can open their car door on the trailer without removing the trailer fender.
The trailer also has no outer edge line which is great for when trying to avoid scratching wheel lips.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weight and size of that Trailex certainly is attractive, especially for lower tow capacity trucks/SUVs.

The 18 foot Sloan's KwikLoad is 1800 pounds (7,000 GVWR) with the steel deck. I did read someone's post that said their's weighed 1300 pounds with optional aluminum deck and fenders. I very much like the ease of getting my car on and off with no stress or need for spotters. Others with non-tilt trailers seem to like them pretty well; but, I still see them with concern about where they are on the ramps (left-right) and I have actually seen a ramp pop off the rail while driving a car up .

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a trailer dealer today and they showed me a pic of an enclosed trailer with an aluminum ramp that was the same size as the inside of the door. It was hinged and folded out from the ramp/door which had rubber bumpers on it when it touched the ground. It was a trick way to have a built in ramp that made the approach twice as long and less of an angle. Overall length of the door and ramp was about 10'. Looks like it would work.

HPATTERN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a roll back trailer like the one in the video except no wind deflector. Perfect condition. $2900

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm selling my 2009 17'6" featherlite open, with winch, tool boxes and tire carrier. $5,000.

You must be registered for see images

That picture doesn't show the tool boxes/tire carrier. If interested, PM me.

I wouldn't get a trailer that had ramp extensions hinged on the door. I prefer a more adjustable solution. I use these: RR-TR-5 http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-5.aspx
And I just put a thin piece of wood between the trailer gate and the ramp platform it sits on to make the heights level. Works VERY well.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use these: RR-TR-5 http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-5.aspx
And I just put a thin piece of wood between the trailer gate and the ramp platform it sits on to make the heights level. Works VERY well.

Like Magnus I've got a featherlite open and have the same ramp set up as he does. (lowered ACR, no clearance issues with full splitter) Find a good used one like his, later you'll see re-sale will be very close to what you paid. Good luck, Mike

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's a nice open trailer.

If you were closer to So Cal, I'm sure one of our guys would snap it up.

Dan

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the featherlite trailer is a great aluminum trailer.

it is heavier than a trailex but still decent at approx 1400 pounds when comapred to other trailers.

the one thing i dislike about the featherlite is the dam outter egde which has been known to scratch the outter rims of the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang