ALUMINUM EXHAUST PLATE UPDATE...

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I just got off the phone with the machine shop. I took the exhaust plate
off of my car and took it to him yesterday. He said he can take my design
and clean it up a little since I cut mine by hand and there are some flaws.
Their cutting machine broke last week and they have been playing catch up so
he said the parts will be ready either tuesday or wednesday(10th or 11th).
It will take me a couple of days to put the brushed finish on them and get
them ready to ship so I would guess they may go out friday the 13th.
Someone asked me about a mirror finish for the plate. The guy at the
machine shop said they would charge $70 to polish it. That's too much so
I will do it myself. I think I could do it in about 2 hours so it
will probably be around $40 more for the polished plate.

If anyone else would like to order an exhaust plate please let me know
because I will have to give him a quantity by this monday. They are
$150.00 and should install in about an hour. The standard kit will have
you drill pilot holes and use the supplied stainless hardware to attach
it . That's how mine has been for 2+ years with no problems. An
alternative would be for me to not predrill the holes in the plate and
double sided tape them to the car. As long as the surface is preped properly
I think it would hold just fine since the plate isn't very heavy.

I will contact everyone who has placed an order to confirm everything. I
think the best method of payment will be credit card. If you would like to
be added to the list please email me [email protected] or call
912-961-0202. Thanks.
Gary Javo

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump. Wanted to give everone a chance to see. Thanks everyone for your orders.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's looks really nice!....How about anodized colored rivits to match the color of the viper. Red / Blue / Yellow..etc? BTW, your wheels look great.. :laugh:

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
Thanks. I just watched your video the other day. That thing sounds mean.

Devildog,
What can I say. I'm green with envy. Seriously. Two years ago I saw the exhaust heat shields on some of the race cars as well as h.m.s. cars. h.m.s. wanted something like 400 bucks for it. Thats fine. I'm sure they are much higher quality than the one dumb ole me made by hand. Hey I sell bedding for a living. But I will tell you this, the one I made for a quarter the price gets all kinds of compliments. So keep your original. My "knock-off" has got the job done for the last two years.
Gary J.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

Devildog,
What can I say. I'm green with envy. Seriously. Two years ago I saw the exhaust heat shields on some of the race cars as well as h.m.s. cars. h.m.s. wanted something like 400 bucks for it. Thats fine. I'm sure they are much higher quality than the one dumb ole me made by hand. Hey I sell bedding for a living. But I will tell you this, the one I made for a quarter the price gets all kinds of compliments. So keep your original. My "knock-off" has got the job done for the last two years.
Gary J.

LOL Nice comeback!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Gerald,

Devildog,
Gary J.

At least you admit it...I can't fault that. :D Sleep well!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be really sweet would be if you could countersink the bolt heads and make them flush with the plate, but I guess the facia material is too thin for that--could a similar look be achieved with another kind of fastener?

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks good! Really goes well with the car. One question though... Are those rims and tires real or is that a Photoshopped pic? It looks like there is almost NO tire there. Plus, those are HRE 547's and in your signature you state that you have 20 inch HRE 847 R's. Seems like if you were to turn the front tires that they would clip the hood and wheel well. If they are real 20's, how did you lower it so low and not have any problems?

Austin

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bigcarrot,
thanks, i thought i was quite clever.

austin,
didnt mean to mislead. That photo is a photoshopped version of an old pic that i had of my 19" 547 set up. I currently have 20" 847's coming next week. If those wheels were real they would probably be 24"s. It was just a handy pic I had on my server of the exhaust plate.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thats some GOOD Photoshopping you did. lol... I was just curious, it looks good though. How long does it take to get rims from HRE? Will you lower the car when you get the new rims?

Austin

HEMIPOWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job. It is nice to see someone able to offer a good product for a more resonable price than others. Gotta love competition.

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin,
The average turn around time is 5 weeks. I plan on lowering the car another 3/4 of an inch. I currently have the eibach springs and want to add the lowering shock caps but some folks want 200-300 bucks for these little aluminum caps so I think that will be my next project. I feel I can have it done for half that price. I'll let you know.

Hemipower,
Thanks. No doubt the h m s product is much more difficult plate to make. It is contoured into the opening and mine is flat, but from 5 feet or more you really cant tell the difference.

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
I'm here. I am between servers right now and it has me all screwed up. You can contact me at [email protected] or just give me a call. 912-713-5286.

I shipped out the first 10 plates and waited a week to make sure everyone got them on and there were no problems. I have several packaged and ready to ship. I will be contacting the folks that preordered them to verify that they still want the plate.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, i got the wrong plate, my exhaust tips are not removable (corsa) and i cannot mount my plate. gimme a email or call so we can get me the correct one.

BTW, i got and idea to do a similar plate but to go around the slots cut for racing harnesses in the rearbulkhead panel so as to give it a nice finished look and match the brushed sating MGW interior pieces, you interested in workin on this project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtoce1