Another "hanging idle" fixed

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my intake and TB off to install plug wires earlier in the week. Upon reassembly, I had the dreaded "hanging idle" that others have reported.

I remember reading here that Chuck Tator recommends periodic cleaning of the IAC motor. I pulled mine off and found that it was pretty dirty and took a lot of force to slide it in and out. Cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. After cleaning, I saw how easy it's supposed to move in and out. So far, no more hanging idle after about 150 miles.

I've owned lots of new cars, yet this is the first time I've ever had to clean an IAC motor. Something's wrong there.

You must be registered for see images attach

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kidding, my Calibra has exactly the same quirk except when MY IAC goes south my engine dies and does not want to stay at idle until it's warmed up.. and even then it might have the tendency to say FU. These cars have a mind of their own I tell ya, there are Gremlins inside of them just like mr. Futterman concluded when he found them driving his plow out of his shed :dunno:

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My supercharged 98 Mustang GT had the same problem and a quick cleaning evry 10k or so keeps it to a minimum.

I'm startng to get the occasional stick on my '03 SRT-10 vert when coming to a stop. It'll hang at 1k rpms while braking with the clutch pushed in until the car comes to a stop, then drops down till about 730 rpms.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I will have to give it a try. I got some idle hang after installing a single blade throttlebody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant