Another stupid dealership story

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I go to a Dodge dealership today to check out a 2005 red SRT that someone on here. They have had the car there for nearly 3 years, so I figured they'd be ready to give it away by now. Here's how that convo went:

Me: Hi, what are you asking for the Viper?
Carsalesman: $95,000
Me: What? $95,000???
Carsalesman: Yes, thats what its worth
Me: Are you smoking crack?
Carsalesman: No sir, I stopped smoking a long time ago. (he gets mad and starts to walk off)
Me: What year is it? 2010?
Carsalesman: Its a 2005. (he totally walks off at this point)

Car salesman #2 walks up

Carsalesman #2: Can I help you?
Me: Is the Viper really $95k?
Carsalesman #2: Yes
Me: The market is in the 50k's for this car!
Carsalesman #2: No its not. Your crazy
Me: Go on the Viper Club site and you'll see
Car Salesman #2: We do go on the Viper site
Me: You can get a brand new coupe for $95k
Carsalesman #2: No you can't
Me: Yes you can. Sticker is like $92k on them
Carsalesman #2: Well this car is new, no miles
Me: Its still a 05' SRT and not worth $95k
Carsalesman #2: We've been offered $65k by a couple of Atlanta dealers
Me: You should've taken it
Car Salesman #2: We'll retail it
Me: You havent been able to retail it in 3 years, you may as well just wholesale it
Carsalesman #2: We'll retail it
Me: Good luck

The whole time the salesman was very arrogant and acted like I was just some young idiot off the street who would believe whatever he said
:bonker: :bonker: :bonker: :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering interest cost on that thing being in iventory for 3 years... maybe 95K is their break even point! :eek:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar experience about a year ago. Dealer was asking for $20k over the realistic sales price. He acted insulted when I laughed at him, but it's pretty unlikely that he was that out of touch with the real value. It's all a game.

This is a guess, but the only logical reason I can come up with is this: The car is an eye catcher and draws people into the showroom. Even if they have no intention (or financial ability) to buy the Viper, at least the sales team gets a shot at selling them something else. Basically, they use it the same way a fisherman uses chum. Meanwhile, if some sucker walks in with more money than brains and buys the Viper on impulse at the inflated price, they make a killing. Either way, it's a win for the dealership.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chad:

I am assuming its a no go...LOL... Don't worry I get the same thing when I go buy cars, they think that I can't afford it so they don't even talk to me.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'd ask that at my dealer ship. Their waiting for an uninformed buyer off the street, that has money and wants it now. Their out there.

My concern is all the miles on it were probable 3 miles runs, redlining the car before it's ever warmed up.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chad:

I am assuming its a no go...LOL... Don't worry I get the same thing when I go buy cars, they think that I can't afford it so they don't even talk to me.

Thanks for the help.

hahah I was just about to PM you the link to this thread :) I'm half way thinking about going back this weekend in the Viper and asking "have you sold the SRT yet?" :D I should've let him know I was a VCA President, then maybe he wouldnt have treated me like your typical young guy who just wanted to test drive and beat on a Viper :curse:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, the dealer is on ******. however "fifties" for an untitled 05 makes me think you may have been on ****. :D

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similiar situation last year with a dealership in NJ. They had an '02 sapphire r/t 10 with 3600 miles on it. It had a Roe supercharger on it and they had the car on Ebay several times. The highest bid on ebay was never more than $55k. I called them up to see if we could make a deal and the guy said they wanted $80k for it. I was speechless. I said, 'what re you really asking for it'. He said to make an offer and we could go from there. I offered $58k hoping that after the ebay auctions that would make it quick and simple but he called the owner and returned to me saying we were just too far apart. They seemed completely unmotivated to sell it despite fact that the guy told me he had the car for over 8 months.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the dealer is on ******. however "fifties" for an untitled 05 makes me think you may have been on ****. :D

Nah, I get high by enhaling Viper exhaust fumes, not **** :D But honestly, just for kicks, I called Palmer Dodge in Atlanta (big Viper dealer) and asked them what an untitled 05' would go for. The GM told me low 50's would be wholesale and offered to sell me a untitled 06' for under 65k :)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nah, I get high by enhaling Viper exhaust fumes, not **** :D But honestly, just for kicks, I called Palmer Dodge in Atlanta (big Viper dealer) and asked them what an untitled 05' would go for. The GM told me low 50's would be wholesale and offered to sell me a untitled 06' for under 65k :)
Thats about right. I know where I can get a new 06 for a little over 70. If it wasn't for the 08's coming out with 600hp I would consider it.

I had a dealer in my neighborhood with a similar situation and this car even had acid rain marks all over it. Not sure if some fool gave them what they were asking or they wholesaled it. It sat there for years.

N

Nobody

So is the dealership driving prices up? or the vca forum driving them down?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a guess, but the only logical reason I can come up with is this: The car is an eye catcher and draws people into the showroom. Even if they have no intention (or financial ability) to buy the Viper, at least the sales team gets a shot at selling them something else. Basically, they use it the same way a fisherman uses chum. Meanwhile, if some sucker walks in with more money than brains and buys the Viper on impulse at the inflated price, they make a killing. Either way, it's a win for the dealership.

Yes, this may be true. However, people like me see something like this and swear off buying ANYTHING from this stealership, ever.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when the original ZR-1 Corvettes first came out in the early 90's. A local Chevy dealership we had Corvette Club meetings at had a $50,000 market adjustment on the two that they had presold. Both owners put them in storage in hopes that they would make a fortune. Obviously not the case. The shop manager later told us that the dealership regretted making that many $$ on the car. But of course they did not offer to refund the $50,000.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting..........I can't figure out why car dealershipes and car salespeople get a bad rap! I honestly think that It should be illegal for a dealership to mark up a price over full MSRP when selling as a NEW vehicle.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually happy that my local Ford dealership was so shady on trying to sell me a GT500 or a GT40. I never would have walked out and bought my Viper. I have not decided whether its good thing that my wife really likes the Viper. She thought the GT500 Shelby and GT40 looked too Nascar. In the rare event that she drives the Viper- I pace like a father waiting for his 16 year old daughter to come home from a date.
Jim

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont' think people really come in to a dealership to look at a Viper and say, "Ok! I'll settle for the Charger". I don't think it has any advertising value at a dealership. For most people, a car is a capital expense and they do not make spot decisions.

Now if you were to use that same logic between a Charger and something lesser, I would agree.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont' think people really come in to a dealership to look at a Viper and say, "Ok! I'll settle for the Charger". I don't think it has any advertising value at a dealership. For most people, a car is a capital expense and they do not make spot decisions.

Now if you were to use that same logic between a Charger and something lesser, I would agree.

You're applying your own logic to this, not the logic (or lack there of) of the average car buyer. People make "spot decisions" all the time, even on large ticket items. Trust me on this. I've been in sales for 25 years.

The whole reason Dodge created the Viper was to polish their image and bring some excitement to the brand. It's too limited in production to be a true profit center for them and can only by justified in that way. The image the Viper creates spills over to their everyday commuter cars that the masses buy. People will absolutely pull into a Dodge dealership to get a close look at a Viper even if they could never afford one. And if the sales team is well trained, some will end up buying a car.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
part of it is our age Chad. there are plenty of people in the world that just can't imagine a 20-something year old has more money and a better career than they do.

another part is a lot of car dealers are ********, and the final part is there are enough stupid people to believe what some dealers tell them and pay the crazy prices...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the VCA contact salespersons name or the GMs name down at Palmer?

That over the phone stuff is old old school. Usually not what it is when you go down there........usually the old "we just sold that one".......

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually happy that my local Ford dealership was so shady on trying to sell me a GT500 or a GT40. I never would have walked out and bought my Viper. I have not decided whether its good thing that my wife really likes the Viper. She thought the GT500 Shelby and GT40 looked too Nascar. In the rare event that she drives the Viper- I pace like a father waiting for his 16 year old daughter to come home from a date.
Jim

I know what you mean about the wife driving the Viper. I do the same thing when my wife is out with it.....

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WIFE DRIVING THE SNAKE........NOT ALLOWED IN MY CASTLE! Wife is banned from entering the driver side at all cost. She is allowed to sit in the passenger side as long as she doesn't move, or speak, or do anything for that matter! :nono: ....................I wonder if that's why she calls me a a...hole! Hmmmm.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm lucky..my wife can't drive a manual tranny....hell,even if she could, I wouldn't let her near that stearing wheel. She's especially not allowed to tell me to slow down.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Low 50s for a untitled 05? Maybe I should just have my friend call them up and see if they have one available in that price range.

:2tu:

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my wife was car shopping a few years back, we were at a local dealership known for it's jackassery, if that is a word, to kick the tires on a few cars (I wouldn't buy a light bulb from this dealership). I was checking out the SSR, as it was brand new, and one of the jackasses started braying about what a collectible it was going to be right off the bat and that they were selling theirs at 15k over MSRP, blah, blah. What a joke.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my wife was car shopping a few years back, we were at a local dealership known for it's jackassery, if that is a word, to kick the tires on a few cars (I wouldn't buy a light bulb from this dealership). I was checking out the SSR, as it was brand new, and one of the jackasses started braying about what a collectible it was going to be right off the bat and that they were selling theirs at 15k over MSRP, blah, blah. What a joke.

These pile's ended production a year ago tomorrow. It's hard to believe a single one ever got MSRP. The funny thing is, my local chevy dealer still has a brand new red one on the lot, and it has been there WELL over a year. They are asking just a tad over $47k for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456