Another X-Metal Install Problem--Used and Idle Issue

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a different situation than the other TB post in that I can't get the idle lower than 1250rpm after the install. My mechanic noticed there seemed to be too much air gap on the butterfly in the first place. He had the "Base Set" screw backed all the way off and the throttle cable tension was even loose. Still couldn't reduce the rpms below 1250.

I also believe the unit was used, but decided to install it anyway. First, there were helicore screws in the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) holes. Therefor, I couldn't use the stock screws and had to find smaller screws to fit--aggravating. After thorough examination of the unit, you could see where someone had previously tightened down screws around the holes and there were small amounts of carbon build-up in the cracks of the unit.

I bought the unit from UGR and was going to contact Kevin about the idle and used issue, but thought I'd check with you guys to see if there was another potential fix. Also, the unit was installed onto a Paxton setup and they didn't disconnect my battery. However, it didn't display a "Check Engine" light?? Car details in my signature block. Any suggestions??

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update. From reading the other related thread "XMetal TB install process, any advise?", I did try to loosen the TPS and turn it to the right. That increased the idle rpm to @ 2k. I brought the TPS all the way back as far left as possible and am still getting @1100 rpm's at idle. Any suggestions?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a 10-minute "battery break" (NEG terminal removal).
I'm not sure that will re-set the TPS zero, but it won't cause any damage to anything.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hm what you are saying is strange, I thought that you get hang from butterfly not being able to close completely. At least that is what happened to me. First time I installed TB I started to have idle hang at 1250 after the car got warm. I took TB off the car and realigned butterfly to make sure that it does not touches TB on any sides and all gaps are the same around it.

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hm what you are saying is strange, I thought that you get hang from butterfly not being able to close completely. At least that is what happened to me. First time I installed TB I started to have idle hang at 1250 after the car got warm. I took TB off the car and realigned butterfly to make sure that it does not touches TB on any sides and all gaps are the same around it.

Try the above first. I also oblonged the holes on the throttle position sensor a little to allow me to turn it a little more which dropped the idle down.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think that the TB position is important in getting the idle to settle down but, there may be other issues as well. everytine I adjusted it I had my battery disconnected.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can see it is nearly impossible to get the butterfly perfectly centered since there is a bit of play in the shaft horizontally, probably a few hundredths. I tried that with no change.

Have you tried to clean the idle airpass valve? I heard that could pose a problem as well.

The TPS sensor is send a voltage to the computer to tell it where the throttle is, if yours is not coming down you may want to try a new one. it is pretty cheap and worth a shot.

I still get a slight hang after warm. it stops for a second or two at 1,100 and then falls to 750. I was going to try to pack the throttle stop screw a bit.

At least this is a good forum to discuss it in hopes of discovering an answer to this mystery.

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you measure the voltage coming of the throttle position sensor you can tell if that is a part of your issue. I believe in the instructions that came with the X Metal piece was what the voltage range needed to be at idle. I verified that voltage with my stock throttle body too. My voltage was too high with the X Metal installed. By oblonging the throttle position sensor mounting holes it allowed me to get he proper voltage.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want to send me your TB and TPS i will set it up for you so all you have to do is bolt it on.
there is a whole set of dynamics i could start a multiple page thread on when it comes to the electronics on our Vipers.....but i digress.
this is a pretty simple issue to resolve:
please check the idle set screw (the allen on the throttle stop) and make sure its flush with the ear it is screwed into on the throttle stop---meaning that i dont want the screw to push on the throttle linkage. the screw is there so the throttle linkage doenst wear into the alumium on the TB.
i have had a few of the Dodge TPS being finicky, and we put more adjustment into the TPS mounting than the first generations of TB's we produced. please check the throttle stop screw, unplug the cars ECM and let is reset.
i am at your service so let me know and we will get you fixed up.
[email protected]

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05copper, I swaped notes w/Nader, read all of Gary's posts and still couldn't get the idle correct. I took it to Dan at DC and he magically got it to work correctly. They will work, perhaps a local tuner or viper tech?

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True.
Until it begins slipping.
As you're at a light....next to a LEO....

And the advantage of continually re-setting it.

Great excuse for having a little fun at the light. Honestly officer my throttle position sensor must be slipping...

Seriously, no slipping issues with mine. XMetal throttle body is a nice piece that does allow a lot more air to flow. :2tu:

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update the thread, I'm going to Orlando next week to have Larry Macedo put on a few more accessories:)and he and Gary know each other. I asked if they would coordinate with each other on possible fixes. Gary and Larry have been eagerly helpful... thanx guys. And thanx guys for all the feedback! Lets hope Larry can fix it.

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update the thread, I'm going to Orlando next week to have Larry Macedo put on a few more accessories:)and he and Gary know each other. I asked if they would coordinate with each other on possible fixes. Gary and Larry have been eagerly helpful... thanx guys. And thanx guys for all the feedback! Lets hope Larry can fix it.

Larry Macedo tuned my car, He will well get the throttle body issue cleared up. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang