Any benchracers out there? (Z06 v Viper)

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gf's brother took delivery of a 405 Z06 yesterday.

He took me for a ride and seemed to acknowledge the fact that the Viper would win, but it seems he's been telling his friends that his is actually faster b/c of the power/weight.

Of course he does acknowledge that he isn't a very good driver, so he'll lose, but still contends the car is faster.

I saw a post earlier on the old Z06 pwr/wt compared to a Viper. So, I was wondering if anyone would care to do another one (taking into account the rear end gears for each gear) of a stock Viper vs a stock 405 Z06, one pwr/wt and the other tq/wt??

Any takers out there in calculator land?

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely correct DJ. But this guy will never race and/or will blame it on his driving ability and will hold strong that his is the faster car.

I just wanted to take the drivers out of the equation (or assume the same driver, same course, etc...)

A little friendly wager, if you will, where pride is the prize and not money.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett, I raced a 2002 Z06 a week or 2 ago. He had drag radials, but other than that was pretty much stock. I only have 50 more hp than stock and beat him by .5 sec, .1 sec, and lost by .04 seconds the third time.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have 2 different friends, each with a Z06 and they drive with the vipers once in a while.

I have never raced a Z06 off the line from a stop light, but I have on the open highway starting at 60 mph. This was with my 2001 Creampuff GTS and I still pulled away by an easy 1/2 car lenth by 100 mph.

also, 2 of my friends with Gen1 cars, have beat the Z06 multiple times, from a stoplight. They just raced at every stop light. The Z06 owner was saying the traction control was slowing him down, then it was oh I can get a good take off,.....

Granted for the money, if you want a fast car, the Z06 is the way to go. If I wanted an everyday driver sports car I would drive a vette, But it is still a mass produced car that you see all the time. At the local dealer here they have 14 new Corvette's for sale.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only took about 2 1/2 laps to pass 4-5 cars including two black '02 Z06s (who gridded at the front of the fastest group) at Laguna Seca over memorial day weekend
supergrin.gif
I'm sure their driving sucked too. . .

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO way that he would come close! I raced my friend with 2000 HT and he had h&c in his car puting down 413RWHP. When I raced him I had only 2K miles K&N and Corsa with 430RWHP. I took him by one car. Stock Z06 will put down ~350RWHP while Viper rated at 450 and 460 with K&N is uderrated. If you calculate then my car has about 495HP. Remember 01 Z06 claiming 12:00 1/4 stock. Not even 02 can do that but my friend with completly stock GTS run 11:98 in 1/4.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06 is a mid 12 second car and Viper low 12's. There are exceptions to the rule though. I have heard of a few doing high 11's in the Z and mid 11's in the Viper. I think the best way to sum it up is... The Z06 is a great road car and a half descent race car and the Viper is a great race car and a half descent road car.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they get the zog to 435HP, it may then be faster stock-stock in the normal metrics (0-60, quarter). Ironic that by that time, the GTS and R/T will be out of production. Talk about just-NOT-in-time.

It would be nice if Cheby ****** up and threw the 427 motor in the thing and had done with it. I'm afraid the heavier motor would upset the cars "balance" though.

The vette with a 427--now THAT would upset the world balance of power in the horsepower wars.

By my calulations, though, on paper it would still fall short of the ACR--weight wise it would suddenly be even, and horsepower/torque would be equal or less. Prolly less vs. the 488 in the viper.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe my GTS is quite a bit quicker using the SOTP meter. It just pulls and pulls. My Z06 (02) is quick but doesn't quite muster the pull of the Viper. All things considered, the Viper is quicker.

Now, a little comment about the power to weight ratio. Many people have compared the two using rated power. However, this is not accurate at all. I dyno'd my Z06 and Viper back to back. The Z pulled 352 corrected hp and the Viper pulled 413 at the rear wheels. This is a far cry from the rated power on the Viper. Using the ACTUAL power to weight ratio would be valid, not the rated numbers.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddt, I'd be surprised if the extra 20 hp in the 02 would make up for the difference in SOTP feel between my 01 Z06 and Viper. The other characteristic about the Viper is how effortless it is. I feel like I need to run the Z06 quite a bit harder then the Viper. And, at idle the Z06 is smoother, but once I'm in the revs, the Viper is smoother then the Z06.

Jim

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 weeks ago, I drove a 405 HP ZO6 at the Bragg-Smith school for over 300 track miles, in addition to lots of 0-70 and back down practicing heel / toe stuff. While I can only speak for SOTP feel, I would say the ZO6 is kinda close in the first two gears, but seems to drop off after that. I think Chevrolet wanted 2 strong gears so they could tout their 0-60 times against the Viper. I think Chevy claims 3.9---but I don't think they've ever tested that low. I will say there is a big difference between the regular C-5 and the ZO6.

Steve

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my o2 zo6 against my buddies 98 gts with k/n and smooth tubes.first and second we were even then when we hit third he put a few cars on me quick.ive had both and the zo6 is very fast but it lacks the tourqe that the mighty v10 has

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some math for ya.....

Viper>Vette Z06

The reason that the Vette stays with the viper (though a bit behind) is really due to it's 3:54 gear in the back (or whatever it is but it has a shorter final drive ratio)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ram Air Tony:

Z06es (all M6 C5s for that matter) have 3.42 rear gears....but the tranny is geared REAL agressive in 1,2,3 4 is same as Viper

I have all that ******* if yall wanna see the difference

I think the Viper has the same tranny gearing as the Fbody and standard C5 M6 tranny

R
A
T
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very true that they all use the T-56 (as does the Cobra R and current cobra's) but regardless a shorter rear end will allow it to accelerate more quickly than if it shared the same 3:07 as the Viper

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a newer Z06 the other night..... we were at a light, and he was directly in front of me....

when the light turned green he went forward enough for me to switch to the lane next to him, as soon as I moved over he hammered it, as did I...

at the end of 1st gear he was still a car legnth ahead (I was spinning a little), at the end of 2nd gear I was right next to him.....

by the end of 3rd I had him by at least 3 cars..... I went into 4th and held it down for a while, and then he gave up...

Brooks

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell your friend who admits he can't drive that he can definitely drive the Z06 faster than he could drive a Viper. The Z06 will compensate somewhat for his lack of skill, while the Viper will just magnify it. If he were to race a Viper driver with good driving skills, your friend is toast. If you put a great driver in the Z06 and a great driver in the Viper, after one race the Z06 driver would be demanding the Viper run a restrictor plate and have a weight penalty.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett--

My (any) '99 ACR destroys the 405HP Z06 (assuming 3150 lbs. with half tank) in power-weight.

Having said that, in the quarter mile and 0-60, it sure seems like ( according to actual viper driver's experience ) the cars are too close to call. &lt;yikes!&gt; I call it the ZOG MOJO.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've raced a few of them, and stock to stock I always win. The viper is just a quicker car out of the box.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our 01 Z06 is stock and is our street car so I have not run it at the track to get a back to back comparison with our Viper. The Viper has Stoptech front calipers, intake, exhaust and will soon have a kevlar clutch and aluminum flywheel so a comparison to a stock Z06 wouldn't be exactly fair.

I believe that Vipers need restrictor plates in SCCA T1 class which is a strong indication of relative performance. I have passed a couple of Z06s on road course track days, but was also passed by a Z06, so driver skill and daring plays a major roll.

SOTP pants wise, the the Viper has a stronger top end. The Z06 runs hard and is geared more agressively, but the top end of the Viper is better. I had our 99 GTS up to an indicated 162 mph in 5th gear and it was still pulling strong at around 4900 rpm.

The Z06 doesn't 'feel' as strong at 120 mph as the Viper does at 150 plus. I know that's not too scientific....

Overall, I really enjoy both cars. The Z06 is plenty fast, but drives just like a regular car, with great air conditioning, a smooth idle, a decent ride, very good brakes, and fantastic gas mileage.

Jim

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
Z06 is a mid 12 second car and Viper low 12's. There are exceptions to the rule though. I have heard of a few doing high 11's in the Z and mid 11's in the Viper. I think the best way to sum it up is... The Z06 is a great road car and a half descent race car and the Viper is a great race car and a half descent road car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>DITTO THAT AGENTF1