any high speed driving schools in the tri state area

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
have had the fe acr for 4 months now and would like to drive it a little harder . iv'e owened vette's before and they seemed easier to throw around. the viper leaves little room for driver error, so i thought a few classes wouldn't hurt. if any one can reccomend a school or course it will be appreciated. thanks

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta ask your self some very hard questions.
1. If something happens to your FE are you prepared to pay for the damages?

2. Do you know how do your own maintenance? Prep your vehicle to take to the track? Change all of your fluids? Bleed Brakes, Change Brake Pads, Rebuild Calipers, change your radiator fluid (some tracks do not want any antifreeze in the system - water only...just in case) there is more....

3. Tires, Rims are an issue. Do you want to track and street on the same set?

4. Do not ever allow an instructor to drive your car unless you bring a waiver for them to sign...Accidents do happen. I was burnt once.

The schools that i know of are as follows: Viper Days (BYOC), NASA HPDE (BYOC), Bondurant, Bertlose (spelling??), Skip Barber, Parump, Miller, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta (Panoz), Summit Point (BYOC)....

Easiest way to find out is go to the tracks website...
Main Page - Trackpedia

Some have driving schools with cars others do not. On the schedule it should show driving clubs where you can bring your own & have an instructor in your car with you...

Most important...Find something that works for you. Have fun, be safe, always drive within your limits, if you know them....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since you're a NY/CT member, the club does do a school/track day at limerock. i think its in may. talk with one of the directors or pres.

OP
OP
G

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i wasnt looking to track the car, just wanna be a better driver under higher speeds. like i said earlier, the vette drove itself. the viper has to be driven. thats what i like about it. i noticed she's stiffer on the turns and has a tendence to jump around on the turns going over small bumps. so the point of the schooling will be to recover and control( kinda got use to the traction control). want to have a better feel of following the line around turns to avoid over and under steer. the last thing i want is to damage the car.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wasnt looking to track the car, just wanna be a better driver under higher speeds. like i said earlier, the vette drove itself. the viper has to be driven. thats what i like about it. i noticed she's stiffer on the turns and has a tendence to jump around on the turns going over small bumps. so the point of the schooling will be to recover and control( kinda got use to the traction control). want to have a better feel of following the line around turns to avoid over and under steer. the last thing i want is to damage the car.

Check out Race Spring Mountain. They teach you many things about driving the car, including time specifically designed to teach you to drive the Vettes without the stability control, or even anti-lock brakes on. I was amazed at how much time I spent in the driver's seat of a corvette. There is a heavy focus on track driving and you will learn what heel-toe shifting is, but there is plenty of time spent learning to control the car. They also have a skid car they use to teach you how to deal with Under Steer and Over Steer.

It was a great program and being close to Vegas doesn't hurt, if you want to make a week long vacation out of the three day class. I wouldn't recommend trying to get to Vegas on class days, however.

OP
OP
G

GMBRASCO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im looking in to it scott, im trying to get a friend that has a zo6 to come with me. its just a little hard to get away right now.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's the annual VCA Limerock Park track day which is WELL worth it. Skip Barber Driving School sessions are also held at Limerock. A fellow VCA member took the full driving school program and loved it especially because they supplied Vipers.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect May or June. The '08 NY/CT VCA schedule should be posted soon.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're working on our schedule for '08. If at all possible, we will be having a Limerock driving school once again.

Skip Barber (Limerock) is the closest driving and racing school (to Long Island). Sadly, they are no longer sponsored by Dodge, so their driving school no longer includes any seat time in a Viper.

Regardless, you do use their cars and will learn a heck of a lot about performance driving.