Anybody do a mail order tune for Gen I?

Alley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just got headers on my car and was thinking about shipping the PCM to DC Performance for a tune. Cost is $600. The guy who runs the local dyno I went to didn't think they could squeeze any more then 10hp out of it and didn't think it was worth the money. My A/F's are pretty good. 13.0 across the RPM range. Numbers were 400rwhp, 468rwtq. 1995 RT/10.

So if anybody else has done a mail order tune, can you tell me what your gains were? Or can anybody tell me if you think its worth going for the tune and if I'll still see some decent gains?

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would guess if the A/F ratios are good as it is then there isn't much that can be done...if you were pig rich it might be different.

However, I have never tuned and could be completely wrong...just a guess.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some folks have been getting the SCT Tuner. Not sure if its available for GenI but DC Performance would know. No need to send in the PCM. Just send in the dyno sheet and Dan can email you a tune. Some benefits reported by GenII owners: Increased throttle response, runs smoother through the RPM range, fan turns on sooner, better AFR. Maybe 20-30hp gain? Best bet is to talk to Dan at DC Performance if that's where you plan on getting the tunes done.

OP
OP
A

Alley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT Tuner isn't a option as far as I know since Gen I's are OBDI and SCT Tuner plugs into a OBDII port.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my PCM to Cragin after putting on stryker heads. They can do a lot more than just 10 HP. Skip shift elimination, much smoother power (for me), better temp control (with a thermostat change), etc. I didn't gain much peak power with the new program, but the car drives much better and runs much cooler.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent my PCM to Cragin after putting on stryker heads. They can do a lot more than just 10 HP. Skip shift elimination, much smoother power (for me), better temp control (with a thermostat change), etc. I didn't gain much peak power with the new program, but the car drives much better and runs much cooler.

Agree w/seasnake. You'll get more HP across the RPM band, maybe 25? Minimal peak HP. Worth the money.