Anybody Have The Scoop On.The 2015/2016 Viper??????

JerryTheBanker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can chime in on what SRT has planned for the 15/16 Viper????? It's been really quiet lately and all the competition is unveiling better and faster upcoming models!!!!!! SRT, what's taking soooooo long???????

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

I don't "know" this but common sense tells me that SRT just can't afford to have a 2 year model run and engineer something new and amazing with such a ****ty launch as the GV. Record low sales, new ownership (Read: much tighter budget), pulling out of huge well-known races, lackluster performance (by comparison), etc.... Things aren't looking good for the Viper.

The ONLY hope is to release a convertible with another 70-80 HP. This would turn it all around (I truly believe this) - and would be relatively easy to do (when compared to any other changes they could make to try and save the car).

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
787 new exciting colors that are only available on some kind of weird special edition or thrown-together package. I hear they're sourcing all the new aero parts through Vipair. Oh, and if you're looking for a vert, you might as well start Sawzalling your coupes top off.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, you're not missing anything, no one knows, at last that's talking. As you can see people's hopes are a little down at the moment, many were hoping for some kind of revitalizing news at NYIAS and it didn't happen, just some eye-candy paint model. So we're still stinging over that. I agree, I wouldn't expect anything remarkable at all, don't mean that in a bad way, just is what it is. I've lost hope for a vert since they didn't announce anything at NYIAS. Perfect time to do it & steal some of the Z07 thunder, but it was essentially a corvette show, I even think the charger/challenger refresh was totally over-shadowed. But we'll see, everything is speculation at the moment.

I do think we'll see MOPAR power accessories coming out, which will be great, FWIW.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think (hope) SRT is working on a reasonable refresh and are withholding information until they get enough 13 and 14s off the lot. Do I expect SRT will do what needs to be done? Nope. FIAT won't let them. But I think they will work with what resources they have and produce a solution. Unlike many, I think a vert will happen soon. The reason, the Gen V is so similar to the Gen IV it would be relatively simple to piece one together. Will it be the vert that the Viper nameplate deserves? Nope. But it will be a vert. Unfortunately it will have the coupe rear which IMHO will look terrible without wide fenders. Convertible Vipers with coupe rears are aesthetically unpleasing on the eye, but that's just my opinion.

To the guys that say "if it had 700 or 800HP that wouldn't be enough". To you I say Bull****. We all know the Viper should have launched with 700-750 crank HP. If it were Bob Lutz and under Daimler it would have happened. FIAT wouldn't let that happen and it doesn't take a lot of sense to put two and two together.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be great to see a vert come out. Just not sure if they can justify the expense to crash test certify it.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think smith is right on timing, hence the homecoming which we are all invited to. I also agree with Big, it's not a big leap to do the vert (look at the gen 3/4 similarities between them), and ABSOLUTELY agree if probably won't be what the name deserves, or even what the SRT team wants, but as you deftly point out, they have to work within the framework (limitations) of Fiat, I suspect.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and they explained to the Italians we are brash Americans, and an 800hp viper will have ZERO impact on ferrari sales, so take the handcuffs off and let's play. Fingers crossed, I'd clear some garage space for an 800hp beast tomorrow (assuming it was in a wicked cool color).

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember back in the day Vipers use to clean all the Ferrari's clock's, really beat them good. I truly believe Fiat is pissed at that and would never let it happen again, even though it would have Zero impact on sales. I do think SRT is handcuffed. The Italians would never let Viper out power there baby. I bet there pissed at the fact Viper kicks there butt on the track.:usa:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think smith is right on timing, hence the homecoming which we are all invited to. I also agree with Big, it's not a big leap to do the vert (look at the gen 3/4 similarities between them), and ABSOLUTELY agree if probably won't be what the name deserves, or even what the SRT team wants, but as you deftly point out, they have to work within the framework (limitations) of Fiat, I suspect.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and they explained to the Italians we are brash Americans, and an 800hp viper will have ZERO impact on ferrari sales, so take the handcuffs off and let's play. Fingers crossed, I'd clear some garage space for an 800hp beast tomorrow (assuming it was in a wicked cool color).

The similarity to the Gen 3/4 frame should (hopefully) indeed make it relatively easy as the needed rigidity is already there in the frame. The question is were the convertable frame brackets omitted in design and construction? Does SRT prefer not to take this route because they feel it is a better choice to postpone it for a total redesign?

As much as I hate to say this I partially disagree on your sales argument because if you divide total production number per Ferrari over their total production span some match that of Viper and a lot are lower, which I imagine is enough of a danger to them. Besides that Ferrari is bound to not want the dangerous in-house competition as steve e mentions though hopefully we can come up with arguments to convince them why the soup is not as hot as it is poured.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fe...rrari-road-car-models-production-numbers.html

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was announced long ago that the Gen V was designed from the beginning to be produced as a Convertible. Believe it will be produced if they can make a business case for it. Think they would want to clear out all the dealer cars before making any announcements. (Dealer stocks being discounted pretty aggressively right now, should clear the decks quickly)

As Nsane1 mentioned, SRT has invited the current Viper Owners to their open house in Detroit this Summer. If they have anything to announce, I would expect to hear about it there.

VCA is putting together an inexpensive package for people that wish to attend this event. Should be a fantastic time, as we will be in the SRT backyard (maybe even front yard).

Watch this forum for details to be announced as we get closer. (and no, you will not need to spend $500 to attend)

There will be no rush, and no need to spend a lot to attend.

As usual, all members of either club, or independents will be welcome to join VCA in this event.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember back in the day Vipers use to clean all the Ferrari's clock's, really beat them good. I truly believe Fiat is pissed at that and would never let it happen again, even though it would have Zero impact on sales. I do think SRT is handcuffed. The Italians would never let Viper out power there baby. I bet there pissed at the fact Viper kicks there butt on the track.:usa:

I think Sergio is smart enough to figure out that no matter how great, fast and awesome a "DODGE" Viper is, a Ferrari buyer is always going to be a Ferrari buyer. And what is the worst that can happen, a Ferrari guy buys a Viper and the money still goes into Fiats bank account. Sergio really can't lose since the world wide demand for Ferrari is pretty decent (much more than the Viper). He is just gaining world wide market share and giving the middle finger to Lambo, Porsche, Nissan, etc.

Here is our only ace in the hole....I think Sergio has a ******* for GM. If there is any way he can crap on their ZR1 or Z06 parade, he will do it. GM sets the record at the Ring with a ZR1 and a few months later it gets eaten alive by a 2010 ACR. GM's ZR1 sets fast time at Laguna Seca and magically the Gen 5 TA is born and beats that time with non R-compound rubber. If you really want to see a new model Viper that is fire breathing, pray that the new C7 Z06 destroys everything the Gen 5 TA can do now. As soon as that happens, you'll see a new, faster, better Viper model produced.

Just look at the history....the records the Gen 4 and Gen 5 Viper has set have all been in response to GM's successes.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
J

JerryTheBanker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I think from what I've been reading that we are in for a long wait for an upgraded Viper!!!!!! Oh well, it's been 7 years since I had my last vette (Z06) and I'm kind of looking forward to the new Z06, especially with the new Sunrise Orange!!!!!!! With any luck, by the time I get bored with the new Z06, SRT will hopefully introduce the new and much improved ACR!!!!!! Wishful thinking on my part, but we can dream, can't we???????? Thanks for all the info and hopefully good news is just around the corner!!!!!!!
JP,

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT is teasing us with the next ACR:

You must be registered for see images

Since there are no spy photos of a convertible viper, its safe to say one will probably not be offered for 2015MY.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a convert is in the air....the time of year to launch also helps sales, if you launch in Sept/Oct...many don't buy to put away for the winter, should be launched in Feb/March, also a fully automatic convert has to come, touch one button and it all works togather as a unit, the vette can be put up or down even as driving about 20 MPH......my $.02

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT should send a squad of their best and brightest to the RSI School of Business. SRT would then know the art of collecting for their cars up front, delaying delivery for three years due to communist foreign vendors, and claiming their product is of top notch quality and worth the wait. With all the money SRT could generate, they could then stuff into R&D and build a Viper that was so damn radical...they could lure another round of suckers in to prepay for those cars and start the whole process over. Move all funds to the Caymans and file Chapter 11.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT is teasing us with the next ACR:

You must be registered for see images

Since there are no spy photos of a convertible viper, its safe to say one will probably not be offered for 2015MY.

We saw the submitted for approval design and spy photos almost 2 years ago now t VOI12. This is one of a few reasons it's so frustrating that we've not seen an announcement yet.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT should send a squad of their best and brightest to the RSI School of Business. SRT would then know the art of collecting for their cars up front, delaying delivery for three years due to communist foreign vendors, and claiming their product is of top notch quality and worth the wait. With all the money SRT could generate, they could then stuff into R&D and build a Viper that was so damn radical...they could lure another round of suckers in to prepay for those cars and start the whole process over. Move all funds to the Caymans and file Chapter 11.

Well they pretty much did actually. Promoting special treatment for current viper owners, those guys ordered and most placed at the back of the line in production. So you backed SRT by ordering and then were forgotten about. Many cancelled orders due to waiting so long while vipers were flooding showrooms of dealers who probably still have those cars sitting. This was one of the early and damaging marketing fiascos, the 1st of many that year.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT does nothing significant with the Gen.5s and I mean really significant,once that new new Z is out and lays down the crazy fast numbers and cost much less $$$$,new vipers will be done...
Spin it as you wish,that is reality....

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT does nothing significant with the Gen.5s and I mean really significant,once that new new Z is out and lays down the crazy fast numbers and cost much less $$$$,new vipers will be done...
Spin it as you wish,that is reality....

Oh great, here comes the Porsche blow-hard again with nothing to add but pessimism...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Z07 has 625 HP.

It is interesting to me that some of the same people who insist that the Gen V Viper should have had 700 HP do not seem to have any problem with the Z07 having only 625.

Who here can honestly say that they believe that 625 supercharged HP is better than 640 NA HP for road course purposes? And I am not writing about a one lap comparison. Let's see what happens during a 20 or 25 minute road course track day segment.

An option that would be useful for 2015 for those who want to drag race their snake would be some simple combination of optional changes that would allow the Gen V to launch better so that, in good weather, a 10.8 second quarter can easily be done and repeated.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, 97 Vipers were sold in April per the stats just released from Chrysler. A large improvement over April, 2013 sales. Things are looking up. And they should. Now that it is spring, people can drive the car and see and feel what it is really about instead of reading and believing a bunch of BS criticism by posters who have never driven the car or who have not driven it at speed.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. Bob nailed it.

"Viper needs more power it is a piece of garbage!"

Yet, the Z06 has a deficit and has a blower

And everyone assumes it will be much faster.

Get your story straight.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. Bob nailed it.

"Viper needs more power it is a piece of garbage!"

Yet, the Z06 has a deficit and has a blower

And everyone assumes it will be much faster.

Get your story straight.

So true, it's so easy to read the true intentions of our resident trolls. Just because someone owned or owns a Viper does not disqualify them from troll-dom, LOL

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is kinda stupid to compare the two cars. And I read somewhere that the new Z07 is spinning a smaller blower and is less mod friendly then the old ZR1.