Anyone else think this smells like Gen V?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front end seems OK (not great but liveable) but the back.... not much on it.

Maybe that door notch needs to be made a bit bigger too....

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's kinda funny. While I agree with most people that I want to see something more aggressive and 'scary' (instead of ****) than a basic 599 GTO makeover in the Gen V, it's a little bit compelling to see how close we can get to a next generation car with something 'off the shelf' and already built by the 'parent company'. The overall dimensions really aren't that far off, and I'd wager that some professional designers and SRT engineers can come up with a car that we really like.

From what I've read, the suspension of the 599 GTO really rocks, and the chassis has some serious engineering investment in it. Starting with that foundation, I for one think we could see an incredible car evolve from it. With only 599 cars supposedly slated for build, Ferrari is basically breaking even on this model. If they could monetize that chassis for another car that sells 1500 copies a year for a few years, I can see them seeing this as a good way to keep Viper alive and see dividends on their 599 investment.

Of course, the Ferrari world would freak out at that thought because the Viper is considered a brutish uncivilized American muscle car that can't handle worth beans in their circle - and they wouldn't want their marque to get diluted with the thought of their chassis getting used in that platform. Perish the thought that the next Viper is a 'rebadged' 599 GTO...

But, then again, the Chrysler 300 series (and Challenger) were based on a chassis developed by Mercedes, and hardly anyone knows about that, so who knows...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari would NEVER share platforms with the Viper. Would be the end of that exclusivity and not good for either model, due to increased costs for Viper to incorporate Ferrari parts and infidel inbreeding for Ferrari. Never going to happen.

In the end, I see Ferrari helping (engineering and design services only) with styling and **** aerodynamics that flow (not just bolted on parts for stability), interior design and exotic materials deployment, as well as overcoming (federaly mandated "nanny" electronics and Sequential Manual issues). Basically services to help Dodge overcome areas they have not had extensive experience with. Ferrari gains in working with Dodge to understand how to build cars for cheaper on a poor man's budget. The overcoming the effects of real torque experience, is priceless to them as it is somewhat foreign to the foreigners. :)

I feel the cross pollenated ideals will be limited to the engineering and design rooms, exactly as it should be.

BTW I do like the GTO shown, but feel the Viper needs to be a bit more rounded in the corners and at the rear. The side shot needs to scream Viper with big **** features, NOT small gimicky scoops. If it goes this way, big smooth, swoopy panel features are the way to go. Exagerated features are Viper. I am pretty excited about a GEN V model and have started to save my money, but I guess time will tell if it is real.

Last edited:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added a few key Viper elements to ViperCollector's photochop... but I STILL think that this does not approach the true "make children run in fear" philosophy that should be maintained for the design of the next gen Viper!

I agree - not mean enough and not American enough; I do see a little ZR1 in it though. I am impressed with the 3.3 acceleration number for a 6 liter naturally aspirated!

Last edited:

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job with the Photo Shop!! The Gen V WILL be a more civilized beast, but will of course be the most powerful yet. I think this is a wise decision by Dodge to keep balance with the times.

The only thing with the pic is that Vipers must have a phat a$$!! The back of that Ferrari has that slim jeans look:nono:. I would expect that from the Italians, but not from Viper :usa:MUSCLE.

Can someone remind me of the history/ties between Ferrari and Vipers. I know Shelby had his hands in the GenII. I also remember hearing that Ferrari was consulted with the newer Gens...but forget the details.

ticketmered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken it was lamborghini who had some input with the engine part of the first Viper. My research shows Chrysler bought Lambrghini n 1987 then sold it in 1994.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken it was lamborghini who had some input with the engine part of the first Viper. My research shows Chrysler bought Lambrghini n 1987 then sold it in 1994.

They consulted with Lamborghini on the conversion of the cast iron V10 block to aluminum.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But now that we've seen the Gen 5 Viper I think that 99% of the world will agree that the new Gen5 Viper concept is even prettier than the GTS. I never expected to see any car look better than a GTS - but now I have.

The Ferrari really looks terrible compared to the new Viper. If the two were parked side by side, everyone would be staring at the new Viper.

Give it 5 years and you'll see the new Viper styling change the vettes and Ferraris look.

Ralph G. said that there will be a more race oriented version of the new Viper as well. Not another ACR, "but more aggressive and beyond an ACR".

Can't wait.

Ted

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN V mock-up we saw was very nice. Front end was awesome, but side and rear were too GEN II-ish. That look has been done already (and still as recent as 2002) and if I wanted that particular look, I would buy a good used one for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new GEN V.

I am confident the design is still evolving and will for the next year, but hope they move on from that GEN II look for the sides and back. The front was perfect in every way. Understand that this is taking nothing away from the GEN II as I think the design was perfect for those cars, but to just rehash it so quickly, is the wrong move for Viper. The new car needs to build on it, but not copy it.

From what I saw, I am confident they will get it right. The front end, they are obvioulsy looking at cars like the 77-One from Aston which is a good thing as that car has Viper like looks with large bulbous features, etc. on the sides and back. If they keep on that path, something very new and very Viper-like and worthy will fall out.

There is no denying that GTO is hot. If it does nothing for you, you better check your pulse. If they do share anything between viper and Ferarri, I hope it is the five spoke split rims on the high-end option of the 458 Italia and the Carbon Brake package. Those are sweet on ANY car.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I added a few key Viper elements to ViperCollector's photochop... but I STILL think that this does not approach the true "make children run in fear" philosophy that should be maintained for the design of the next gen Viper!

Good enough to fool some amateur weblog - they took your version and claimed ownership of it! (they added the *note later)
Next gen Viper to have 700hp and still be emissions legal? - AutoSpies Auto News

Time to release the VCA legal team on them for photo theft!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari would NEVER share platforms with the Viper. Would be the end of that exclusivity and not good for either model, due to increased costs for Viper to incorporate Ferrari parts and infidel inbreeding for Ferrari. Never going to happen.

What exclusivity? In 2013 the Viper with it's government mandated nannies will be just like every other sports car.