Anyone else think this smells like Gen V?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been following the Ferrari 599 GTO, and I can't help but look at it and see hints of Viper in it... If this had come out a year from now, I would have thought that there were some styling cues being built into the platform that would also be used in the Gen V - but at this point I'm pretty sure Ferrari had this design worked out well before they even thought of buying a chunk of Chrysler. It's hard not to see some similarities, though...

You must be registered for see images

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a toned down 599XX. Which has been around for about a year.

But it is **** as heck!

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - this is about the only Ferrari that I've seen (since the 308/328 series) that I felt like I just have to get. It invokes the same kinds of feelings I had when I first saw the Gen I and Gen II Vipers. Just an awesome looking car, with performance to match.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the body was done by the GM guys carrying white tipped canes. Its not ****. Its not handsome. Its just plain old FUGLY. GTS Bruce

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari = rear-engine in my mind. That's a beautiful car and all, but just doesn't ring as a Ferrari to me.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that 'new car smell' is softening your brain....:D

You must be registered for see images

Yeah, well....

Mid/rear-engine Ferraris:

* Ferrari 288 GTO
* Ferrari 308 GTB/GTS
* Ferrari 328
* Ferrari 348
* Ferrari 360
* Ferrari 458 Italia
* Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer
* Enzo Ferrari (automobile)
* Ferrari F355
* Ferrari F40
* Ferrari F430
* Ferrari F50
* Ferrari F50 GT
* Ferrari FXX
* Ferrari GT4
* Ferrari Mondial
* Ferrari P
* Ferrari Testarossa

There have been a lot of front engine Ferrari's, but almost all of the ones produced in my lifetime except cars like the 560 2+2 have been rear engine. Guess it's all about perspective.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I added a few key Viper elements to ViperCollector's photochop... but I STILL think that this does not approach the true "make children run in fear" philosophy that should be maintained for the design of the next gen Viper!

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, that's actually not too bad looking. Interesting what a little photoshop will do to a $500k Ferrari :)

I was comparing the dimensions of the 599 GTO to the Gen IV cars, and other than the height, they're surprisingly similar. I don't think it would be totally out of the question that we end up seeing something that uses some of the engineering dollars Ferrari dumped into this car. Swap the ultra-exotic stuff for down-to-earth components and materials, ditch the V-12 for a V-10, go with a standard 6-speed tranny, downgrade the ultra-plush interior for something more Viper-like, build it in the US and streamline the production process so 10,000 suppliers and offsite assemblers aren't needed, and I bet we have a car that sells in the $120k range that does the Viper justice and doesn't tarnish the Ferrari 'image'. I'd seriously consider it.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not really a fan of that design.

It looks like a rich man's cruiser, not a crazy-fast semi-insane car like the Viper I know and love.

(GTO is gorgeous, though.)

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy who is a big Ferrari owner, says he is on the short list to get a GTO. Pictures hopefully to follow. I did mention to him that the renderings I saw sure do look a lot like a Viper. He had a chuckle at that one.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think Ferrari would have to get spices from Dodge to cook their models. Italians have more than enough talent in car styling business.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agree. The Viper deserves a much more "radical" look. Low, wide, broad "shoulders", "chopped" windshield and of course, GOBS of horsepower!

oh, and make mine RED!

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not really a fan of that design.

It looks like a rich man's cruiser, not a crazy-fast semi-insane car like the Viper I know and love.

(GTO is gorgeous, though.)

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a Gen 5 looks like that I will stop buying snakes. Of course, some will remember that is exactly what I said about Gen 3. (at last count 4 Gen 3-4s :smirk:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala