Anyone LIKE the '03?

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone LIKE the \'03?

I read many posts from people who have been to the LA Auto show and do not like the new SRT or the way Dodge treated them. How about anyone who went to the show and acutally LIKED what they saw?

Certificates are to be mailed out tomorrow and we all have to make a decision, many having never actually seen this $70K car first-hand.

Can we hear some favorable comments? How about people who have seen the car and have comments on the interior (leg room, head room, seat width, etc.). Will you have to have the top down just to keep from banging your head on the roof or is there ample room?

There are also a lot of comments on the poor fit/finish of the car. Is this because of the design or because these are engineering cars and not final production models? Does the design make it more difficult to align body panels?

How about what is right about the car vs. what is wrong?

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone LIKE the \'03?

You know - I cant help but think some people might see the car and be confused at first. I feel like it has taken on some of the looks of other exotics and lost some of its distinctiveness.

But I'll wait til I see one in person to make a final judgement.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

hmm..not sure if I like it or not. The a$$ end looks like it sits pretty high. Doesn't have that hunkered down look of the rt/10 does. They still look nice...just have to see one in person myself.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Darn stright I like it. I have seen it at the Dallas autoshow. I'm buying one, no doubt. I've never owned a convertible, and never cared for the rt/10 personally, so I dig this car. It's most likely super-fast, and with some stripes it will turn heads every bit as much as my current gts.

Heck, I'd get it just for the dead pedal, so I'm getting 500 hp, ABS, and a slicker interior as a bonus.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw the car in Dallas. I liked it. I didn't like the way I was treated or the lack of knowledgeable staff onsite. Especially after flying all the way from California to Dallas just to see the car!

In my opinion it does have the look of an exotic not a Camero as some have mentioned. I'll be buying at least one - maybe 2. Mine will be BLACK! Did anyone else notice that the SRT-4 and the new Ram SRT-10 pickup both were in BLACK! I think BLACK IS BACK!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love it! It's like the 93 Ram to me -- at first I thought it look horrible, then, not so bad, than, BAD!

Same thing is happening with the SRT-10. The silver is great -- gees, any color looks fine to me. Those recent pictures really helped.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its looks are growing on me...Its just not as outrageous as the gen 1&2's. The visual appeal of the gen 1-2 was like a Mike Tyson punch to the face. This incarnation is like a Richard Simmons right=cross
biggrin.gif
just kidding...But it just doesnt move me like the old ones...

Is it just me or do they look high off the ground.....I would have to put lowering springs rightaway if I were fortunate to own one......I wish they kept the throttle- body looking air vents and left the aluminum touches from the show cars interior......

But hey 500hp will make me forget everything.....

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the picture of the Red/Black one. I wish it had more of the Retro Muscle Car styling I like about mine so time will tell
if I like it in person.

2charmed

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 01GTS:
You got it Norman. Might even let you drive the "ugly" beast if you quit complaining about it.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank,

I can't stop complaining, it is a built in feature. hahaha

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At first I thought is was plain. Then I saw it next to a current RT10 and it looked much more aggressive. Now I got to sit in it, hear it and have it right next to a 2002 RT10 and take the full tour around the beast and I (and the rest of those present) all agreed that the SRT10 makes the RT10 look OLD. Now as an RT10 owner I was a little depressed. But as a Viper enthusiast I was very happy.

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve, you thought that you might find some info on the Chicago show. Did you hear if they will have an SRT there? Do you know the dates?

Many comments regarding the SRT remind me of the Porsche chat board 3 years ago - this is deja-vu. Everyone hated the early pictures of the new 911/996. Although the care was more "refined", had better features, and modern interior, those of us who loved the traditional 911 thought Porsche had completely blown it with a less radical styling. My wife and I looked at spy photos, then brochures, and we changed our buying decision 10 times. We loved the style of the then current (traditional) 911, but we wanted the new hp, and the handling of the new 911. We also believed the 1997 911 would be a "clasic" and may be worth buying just because "everyone" on the Porsche WEB site - the emotional enthusiasts - loved the looks better.
In the end we bought the new version.

Result -- Guess what -- the new 911 grew on everyone very quickly. The extemely improved handling, hp, and comfort now makes riding in the older version a joke. Over time, the new 911 is now embraced and the styling is accepted (and generally prefered). Resale of the 1997 911 has dropped as any older model.

I wonder if we will see this with the new Viper? I love my YELLOW RT/10 and hate the idea of giving up this car (can't have both), but I am drawn to the improvements of the SRT. I think the RT/10 is superor styling for fun factor, but I do not hate the SRT. Maybe in 3 years the RT/10 will still look kool (like the older 911s), but I may be happier driving this new beast with some new creature features? Yes, I do fall into one bias because I am one of the ones who likes it better than the GTS so I would only buy a rag top. This puts me closer to accepting the new design.

Final thought, I noticed in the chain of comments from the Prowler owners - on the photo chain from a few days ago - that they loved the new design. I also sampled this with non-Viper owners (but car enthusiasts) and many like the new style. Anyone else find this? I wonder if we are just on the extreme with our love of the current car? Maybe that is what Dodge found out when they went looking for a wider market?

In love with my RT/10...More in love with the fact that it is YELLOW...But I will be ordering my SRT for the exact same reason I bought the new Porsche.

Mike McGuire

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like a nice car.Not an in your face car.Not too exotic.Not a car MAD MAX would drive.Just a nice car that you might trade in your MB convertible for. Bruce

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The changes they are making did NOT make it to this show car. Let's just say that it will address some of what you have read on this site.