anyone powershifting?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to power shift all my old muscle cars street racing back in the day. I tried it the second time I had my GTS out after I bought it and I put the car sideways. With the Viper quick and smooth is better. Power shifting is pretty destructive when you hit the next gear and when you miss it too.

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha yes I hav owned 12 vipers:) no biggy, I found great deals on them. When I was boxing after fight I spent my money:) I like cars. Im asking about powershifting because I just joined and this is the place to ask right? I tried powershifting wen I bought my 1st new 1994. In not saying I never did it because I did and still do successfully. But it's not a fool proof thing and I think there should be a way to do it all the time. FYI one of my ok'd cars wasxa 71 camari big block 427 bored60 over. It put over 500 hp to the ground and had a four speed rock crusher trans. Powershifting was easy as regular shifting and it had enough power to turn 11.1. So the new car more power more torque isbnt gonna fly with me. I think extruding people said on here will help. Different budging, mounts for trans, position if body. Thanx Yo all for the advice. I wasn't trying to start problems just want to powershift my car wen I race:) thanks again. I'll still take any helpful info.

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha tthis phone is too small for this. Sorry about all the spelling maybe it's from the boxing:)

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am old. When I grew up speed shifting is what is being referred to as powershifting here. Powershifting was WOT and no clutch.

Regardless, because of the shifting characteristics of the viper tranny, either is very dangerous. The shifts are just too stiff and not well gated. Missed shifts can cause mechanical damage. More than one Viper has been totalled when 2nd gear was hit instead of 4th.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you gain from powershifting? Speed! On the dragstrip you can gain 4 10ths of a second! That's alot. Almost 1/2 a second. In any race it's a big advantage.

In a Viper im skeptical about the .4 sec claim.

Because of the bolded comment of yours below,

Anyone who drag races knows powershifting is a big plus. Your never coming offf the gas! If your getting traction its the difference in a 10th each shift.

blackout, if you have owned 12 vipers how is it until now that you are asking about powershifting?
yes, its a drag racing technique, ive used it myself, but the "problem" you will run into is that even on a stock gen 2 there is enough torque to lift off throttle a bit to shift. if not, you will just spin going into second. you might even break traction going into 3rd. that defeats the purpose. powershifting was more in vogue in the past when cars didnt have the power and torque they do now. maybe some cars dropped too many rpms shifting into the next gear. dont know.
not sure if the rev limiter reacts fast enough to limit revs in a powershift situation.
let me know.

+1

----------------------------------------------------------------
and i'll add that im surprised this thread has gotten this far without anyone mentioning street tires vs drag radials vs slicks :dunno:
I assume diff shifting techniques are used to get diff types of tires to keep traction while shifting gears.
I know street tires more than a few years old dont hold with a normal full throttle shift from 1to2 and 2to3(sometimes) so i assume you could realy be breakin em loose with this "powershifting" which would result in a higher 1/4mile time.
Also i assume diff power levels come into play? Some of these TT cars cant even be at 90% throttle at the upper end of 1st and 2nd without breaking the tires loose.

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K 1st they make blow proof bellhousings and Greg good recently told me about a blanket that you can use that is also blow proof. 2nd I never said I use street tires to drag race? Drag radial, slicks etc. Yes what kind of horsepower plays a big roll in this. I could see 1st to2nd. But the rest of the gears should get traction with the right tire and pressure. U turned 12.01 in a stock 1999 with drag radials they were heated up nice:) I somehow powershifted every gear and banged everyone. I bogged a little off the line and came off at almost 4000 rpm. It turned 11.7 that run. Yes the car was stock. My car now is far from stock so I'll have to try it both ways when I get it back, maybe your tight? If so thanks. I wSnt really concerned with if I should do it or not more with if anyone knows how it can be done regularly! Who an I to tell someone not to take there car to 150 mph or how fast to take a turn. If I had advice on how to do that easier I would give it. Again thanks for all the help. I hope every question I have about my car doesnt always end up like this:) just thought I could get some info on here. That's all. And I did, but I also got alot of irrelavent info as well. It's o.k next time read the question real slow and digest it. If your answer doesn't answer the question just move on. No biggy. Thanks again:)

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to try to power shift I would think the ass end would get loose quick
Lol! I know, I KNOW BETTER! But, that's just me. When I saw all the Vipers on pass time, I don't think I ever heard any of them that power shifted. Matter of fact, when I see them on youtube I don't ever hear any of them power shifting. jmo

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10enomous, BoB is a local guy. lives in the town next to me. you guys should talk to tim and get a run going

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to power shift my 95 when it was stock, and it once sent me sideways on the 2-3 shift. (and I mean SIDEWAYS) I didn't find it a whole lot different than my other std V8 cars.

Now that my car is twin turboed, I would have to be running really sticky tires on a well prepped track and knocking on a 9 second time slip to power shift. I have no Viper data to go with, but I would say there is time to be picked up by power shifting.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks ray. My viper tech gave me tge same advice. Maybe all this alighnment stuff was different in the gen3? I houghtthe trans was different. I was told it can handle more power so somthimg must be better in it?

You had 12 Vipers and drag race all your life with your dad and your asking us little guys these questions...what kind of tranny is in a gen2 and gen 3? , can I powershift a viper?,do they align...lol...too funny dude. I would think you educate yourself on the cars first, after owing 12 of them, and then take them to the drag strip. Its a sad day when you see all those cars you put so much money into,die at the track. Bet when a Viper sees you coming its way it says, "hope its not me hes looking for next".

Just my .02 cents

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't refer to yourself as little guys. Plus they make pills for that these days:) I raced muscle cars growing up. No not every weekend. Sometimes not even every year. After I started my career I fell for vipers. I took them to the strip when I had time between fights which was t often back then. I did take just about all my vipers to the track. Some just once to see what they ran. I noticed powershifting was more difficult than the older cars. Recently a friend put a gen 3 trans in his gen2 and said it was better? He also said it can handle more power. I thought there might be a way to powershift the gen2 trans easier so recently just joined here. I thought it would be a good place to ask. I hope I didn't bother you doing that? Just looking for some experienced answers if any? I got some so it worked out well. Like I said thanks again. Didn't really want to start a big thing? Just a little help. That's o.k to do on here isn't it? Or is asking questions on here frowned upon? I'm not telling anyone to powershift I like it so I do it. I found a cool thing that might be the answer to all this on my new thread. It seems like alot of people are more into trying to prove someone wrong on here or degrade them. We all have vipers here. We should all want to help if we can! If ya don't believe I was a boxer you can look at my website. It's blackoutboxing.com no I wasn't the best but I did well. I started to late 24! But I was ranked as high as 10th in the world at one time:) with my money I bought stuff. Vipers were my weakness. Everyone on here should relate. Again sorry for the question. Hope I can still ask questions if I want some answers.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ha yes I hav owned 12 vipers:) no biggy, I found great deals on them. When I was boxing after fight I spent my money:) I like cars. Im asking about powershifting because I just joined and this is the place to ask right? I tried powershifting wen I bought my 1st new 1994. In not saying I never did it because I did and still do successfully. But it's not a fool proof thing and I think there should be a way to do it all the time. FYI one of my ok'd cars wasxa 71 camari big block 427 bored60 over. It put over 500 hp to the ground and had a four speed rock crusher trans. Powershifting was easy as regular shifting and it had enough power to turn 11.1. So the new car more power more torque isbnt gonna fly with me. I think extruding people said on here will help. Different budging, mounts for trans, position if body. Thanx Yo all for the advice. I wasn't trying to start problems just want to powershift my car wen I race:) thanks again. I'll still take any helpful info.

no problems here. its your car, your money, and your time. if you wanna powershift go ahead. as a drag racer you know the old saying, if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay. what i dont understand is why you are asking if its ok with a bunch of guys on a car board.
let me make it easy.... do you race for money? if not what is the point of the extra wear and tear for an extra tenth? can you afford to pay for breakages? if you can and dont mind payin, then do it already.

btw, im a boxing fan. is it possible ive heard of you or seen you fight? whats your name?

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I know about playing and paying trust me:) I'm trying to break into the 10s on all engine so every 10th is critical. I wasnt asking permission to do it just if anyone had some ideas or tricks to do it easier and more consistently. Scott depompe I fought on shotime, espn, tuesday night fights back in the day with Sean o grady commentating. Even got into the screenors actors guild and did some commercial:) they even used my pic on the sopranos often. Great sport great people Artturo Gatti was a good friend I sparred witH him for many of his fights. Great kid. His bro trained me for my last fight. I boxed with buddy Mgirt back in the day and he was my trainer for some fights as his trainer al certo was my main trainer. Marc Breland. Livingstone bramble, Omar shekia etc too many too mention. Kendall holt who is a champion now and fight on the Bernard Hopkins card. I go to his Dad gym still and box wen I can. Something u just can't let go of:)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I know about playing and paying trust me:) I'm trying to break into the 10s on all engine so every 10th is critical. I wasnt asking permission to do it just if anyone had some ideas or tricks to do it easier and more consistently. Scott depompe I fought on shotime, espn, tuesday night fights back in the day with Sean o grady commentating. Even got into the screenors actors guild and did some commercial:) they even used my pic on the sopranos often. Great sport great people Artturo Gatti was a good friend I sparred witH him for many of his fights. Great kid. His bro trained me for my last fight. I boxed with buddy Mgirt back in the day and he was my trainer for some fights as his trainer al certo was my main trainer. Marc Breland. Livingstone bramble, Omar shekia etc too many too mention. Kendall holt who is a champion now and fight on the Bernard Hopkins card. I go to his Dad gym still and box wen I can. Something u just can't let go of:)

Are you the guy that sold the black 99 RT to my friends in Lake Hopatcong about 2 years ago ?

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I was thinking when plum told me about a local silver gts u might the one owns it. Nice car! I bought s silver 1999 after that for a great deal. Put black wheels and black stripes on it. Then found a 2005 for a better deal which was a nice car but definitely was not the same as owning a gen 2. So I went back to a 1999. I hate cleaning it constantly but I've finally accepted that black is the only color for me:) do they still have the car. My viper tech said they did? Cool people tell them Hi for me.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I was thinking when plum told me about a local silver gts u might the one owns it. Nice car! I bought s silver 1999 after that for a great deal. Put black wheels and black stripes on it. Then found a 2005 for a better deal which was a nice car but definitely was not the same as owning a gen 2. So I went back to a 1999. I hate cleaning it constantly but I've finally accepted that black is the only color for me:) do they still have the car. My viper tech said they did? Cool people tell them Hi for me.

Yes they have the car and love it but it doesn't get out much... That car has a great exhaust note and stance. Hope to see you in Parsippany Sunday.

You must be registered for see images attach

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

wow, thats great! i miss tuesday night fights with sean ogrady! he was a good fighter and agood commentator.
again, powershifting the viper might be detrimental to your time, due to loss of traction.....
now if you tell me you are gonna be running slicks, well that might be a different story.
what i would do is start off by lifting throttle when you shift and working your way up with the throttle, meaning giving it more and more till you find that sweet spot where you have as much throttle in it and it still holds traction hitting the next gear.
itll take a bunch of trial and error but i think thats the only way to learn the car.
let us know how you do.

OP
OP
B

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K thanks. Yes I said I was running slicks or drag radials. I had bfg drag radials, I last used m&h? Not sure exact name there in storage but they hooked very well. Actually I was shocked. Buy they were big! I mean my car is lowered and at 1st wen they put them on they rubbed a liltle wen they were letting the jack down. But as the cars weight came down they clear a tiny bit:) thanks for tips. Cool u follow boxing as well! Back in the day it was watching Tuesday night fight with Dad every week. Then one day it was me fighting on it. Got to talk ta Sean o Grady for a while. Great guy. In commentating he said I would be a champion. What a compliment. I'll stay in touch and let u know wen some of my friends are fight on t.v ttys

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power shifting from 1st to 2nd...no issues. I DO NOT dare from 2nd to 3rd. Especially since I've had issues with getting into 3rd from 2nd at high RPM...not sure if I need to replace my motor/tranny mounts or maybe a bent shift fork???

Going back into 1st gear (instead of 3rd) is my first concern, losing control and then wrecking the car. I think that is where the 10's of thousands of dollars part comes in....

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to drag race back in the early 70's. In those days very few racers ran automatic transmissions. I was pretty good at running through all 4 gears without taking the gas peddle off of the floor. There is no way I would try that in a Viper.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on the transmission. I can tell you I don't powershift, but I shift fairly quickly and I have gone through 3 transmissions and they were built tranny's that cost over $6000 each. I don't break loose going into the gears.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the day, I used to powershift my muscle cars, overrevved a few times, took out a valve on one. Just don't see the risk of a motor worth a few tenths...unless racing for money or have something to prove by hitting a particular time.

I don't beat on my car and have always felt powershifting was doing just that.

If risking your motor (pretty expensive) is worth it, then do it and let us know what you gained on the track. I'm sure there are others who would be interested in the performance difference.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang