Are All Vipers Created Equal

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I'm a Newbie & actually i still don't have my Viper yet, it was supposed to be here today but i guess with it being the 13th i should have expected this. First thing this morning the transporter called me & is broke down in Mizz. he said it should be here tomorrow if everything works out. By the way its a 2000 Steel Gray 7,900 miles with no mods yet. I was wondering why some people think the 2000 model is like the outcast, i know about the ABS(01') & Forged pistons i think (99') what else is different than rest of gen II's. Steel Gray is the only color i wanted so i was pretty much limited to what model i could get. I know in the Porsche world air & water don't mix to some, i was wondering if the Viper world everybody gets along or are some models more priviliged than others. Look forward to meeting everyone & will post some pics when i get it.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about which one may be more privileged than others. The best Viper in the world is the one in your garage.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers share the same DNA. The best Viper is the one you get to drive the most.

Some will have their personal favorite, and fight to the death to support it as the best of all, but even the worst Viper ever built is fantastic.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about which one may be more privileged than others. The best Viper in the world is the one in your garage.

SkyBob thats exactly the way it should be. I've only kinda met Tim Zimmerman & Kelly(kcobean) they have been really helpful in any & everything i've needed. Maybe this Really is the Best forum in the world. I need to find out what are the first mods to do (won't be doing any trackin, so i really don't need more than maybe an extra 100hp)HaHa.I've ordered floormats & i really want to get some pedal covers etc...just need to find out all the places & sponsors to get things from.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few reasons why people think this way. The 96, 97 and 98 GTS had forged internals. This is a big deal, you can slap at supercharger or turbo on with little or no internal engine work, they are super strong engines. The 96 and 97 GTS also had a more aggressive cam. This produced more power and if you look at the official 0-60 or quarter mile the 96-97 are slightly faster than lets say a 2000. The additional benefit of the aggressive cam is bolt on engine and exhaust mods produce more power then the “cream puff” GTS. This is why I bought a 97 GTS. But as posted above the best viper is the one you drive and with this comment you can get an idea of the type of group you are a part of now. At the end of the day you have a Viper. There are no divisions of viper generations we all love each other. Your car in your eyes is going to be the best viper in the world and thats how it should be!!!! :drive:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out your tires first, if they are worn or have small cracks between the treads or sidewalls they need to be your first upgrade ASAP!!!!! Next I would do smooth tubes and s&b from roe racing. I have been told not buy the k&n they are more expensive and result in 2 less hp and torque with the smooth tubes. This upgrade combination has been dyno proven for 14hp and torque and it will cost under $160 :headbang:

Reaction score
Hello Everyone I'm a Newbie & actually i still don't have my Viper yet, it was supposed to be here today but i guess with it being the 13th i should have expected this. First thing this morning the transporter called me & is broke down in Mizz. he said it should be here tomorrow if everything works out. By the way its a 2000 Steel Gray 7,900 miles with no mods yet. I was wondering why some people think the 2000 model is like the outcast, i know about the ABS(01') & Forged pistons i think (99') what else is different than rest of gen II's. Steel Gray is the only color i wanted so i was pretty much limited to what model i could get. I know in the Porsche world air & water don't mix to some, i was wondering if the Viper world everybody gets along or are some models more priviliged than others. Look forward to meeting everyone & will post some pics when i get it.

Steel Gray is a very nice color and low miles to boot! You'll like the power mirrors, door handles and accents around the gauges. The idle on the 2000 is smooth and they make very good power. Very nice car and enjoy!

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is a list that RevHeat provided in another thread. As JohnnyViper mentioned, check the tires.
---
Here are some more checks that you can put on your list to do in the future:

(1) Change all fluids if not recently done.
(2) Get the fuel filter replaced. You might still have the original one.
(3) Check plugs and wires and change if needed.
(4) Replace PCV. Very cheap fix.
(5) Get the power steering cap vent. Also cheap fix. Small chance your viper might just become a BBQ pit.
(6) Upgrade P/S Pulley and Bracket $200.00 plus labor. Without this change, you could be left on the side of the road.
(7) Get the crank bolt pinned or at lease pull the bolt and use red loctite and tighten to 250 foot pounds. Could cost you an engine. I repeat, could cost you an engine.
(8) Get new tires if over 5 years old. Old tires can put you into a pole or tree really fast.
(9) Prob has bad motor mounts $250 plus labor.
---

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride! Excellent color and low miles! Once it gets home you'll find yourself checking the garage to make sure it's really there! I know I still do.

Check out your tires first, if they are worn or have small cracks between the treads or sidewalls they need to be your first upgrade ASAP!!!!!

I'll take this one step further. The shelf life of a tire is only SIX years. Even if they have plenty of tread, DO NOT USE THEM. The worst thing you can do is try to learn how to drive a car with enough torque (what kills people) to spin the moon on old, hard, tires.

Hit up JonB for some fresh PS2s and you'll be glad you did.

Don't wrap your $40,000 investment around a tree by "saving" $1500 on new shoes.

My .02

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, thanks everyone for all the great info, my head is spinning now. I bought a couple of books (2000 service manual) maybe this will help some. Is it best just to take to dealership & let them do these things or do some of you have your favorite indys that do the work. I know alot of you probably do these things yourself, but i'm not the best mechanic on the block if you know what i mean. I will definitely be up late tonite looking on some of these sites to see what mods i want to do first other than the mandatory ones you listed that need to be done. Again thanks everyone, keep'em comin.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another quick thing what do i do about the catalytic converters, do i replace them or do away with them. And about the side mufflers do i need to buy a certain muffler for it to run cooler or get some kind of wrap. And is it better to put 20's on rear & 19's on front or 19's & 18's, sorry about all the questions but i guess you can tell i'm kind of excited about my new Viper. Is it necessary to lower the car if i get the bigger wheels. i'll stop for now. Thanks again guys

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, thanks everyone for all the great info, my head is spinning now. I bought a couple of books (2000 service manual) maybe this will help some. Is it best just to take to dealership & let them do these things or do some of you have your favorite indys that do the work. I know alot of you probably do these things yourself, but i'm not the best mechanic on the block if you know what i mean. I will definitely be up late tonite looking on some of these sites to see what mods i want to do first other than the mandatory ones you listed that need to be done. Again thanks everyone, keep'em comin.

Tread very carefully here. Although all Vipers are created equally, all Viper techs (yes, even the "certified" ones) certainly are NOT.

I know it's old but you can see this thread for more info. Tim would be your best source for up-to-date help in finding a trustworthy wrench turner in your area. Quality service is hard to find.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry but I gotta say it...newer is always better..

I had a 99...last year frged of the gen2's..but I would have traded for a last year 2002 in a second..

for most of us 450 HP is enough...You can do bolt ons for 520 crank HP..majority of us arent really gonna want a 600 rwhp viper..So a 2000 is a great choice..

Dont forget the pics

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
sorry but I gotta say it...newer is always better..

It depends on your definition of better. I would take a '63 Vette with split-back window over an '06 Vette, even though the newer one would be more comfortable, safer, etc. The '63 would be "better" to me because I want the look of the split-back and the old style muscle car.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel Gray is one of the NICEST colors Vipers were made in. Nothing wrong with a 2000.

You really do not need a forged bottom end if you are not supercharging and ABS is nice but not a necessity, especially if you are not tracking it. Steel Gray was the color that got me hooked on Vipers.

Congrats.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, thanks everyone for all the great info, my head is spinning now. I bought a couple of books (2000 service manual) maybe this will help some.

Good call on getting the service manual, it will be very helpful. It's not the end-all be-all, but it will help.

Is it best just to take to dealership & let them do these things or do some of you have your favorite indys that do the work. I know alot of you probably do these things yourself, but i'm not the best mechanic on the block if you know what i mean.

When I bought my viper, I planned on my local viper tech doing most of the work/mods that I had planned. As you read more on these forums, you will find more than enough information about doing the majority of it yourself. I wasn't much of a wrencher before I got the viper...sure I did a lot of it out of necessity when I was younger, but you will find that working on the viper is therapeutic. I've done everything to my viper that's been done (had some help from a buddy with the brakes). If you have any intelligence and the time, then you can do it yourself...all of the answers are in this forum. If you can't find the answer...ask the question and someone here will help...these guys/gals are the greatest :2tu:.

I will definitely be up late tonite looking on some of these sites to see what mods i want to do first other than the mandatory ones you listed that need to be done. Again thanks everyone, keep'em comin.

I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours in this forum and it's taught me a ton about my viper...good reading :D.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new car, really nothing else left to say after the above posts. Just another(important) friendly reminder, check your tires, power steering cap ASAP, and be safe!!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another quick thing what do i do about the catalytic converters, do i replace them or do away with them.

You will get numerous opinions about the cats. Removing them isn't an option in a lot of states...I don't know about Louisiana. Mine is rear exhaust, maybe some side exhaust guys will chime in here about whether to remove them or not.

If you replace them, there are numerous options for replacing the cats...you will find the answers by using the 'Search' function on the forums. See this thread for more info on using the features on this forum...

The Basics - Step By Step Instructions On How To Use The VCA Web Forums

And about the side mufflers do i need to buy a certain muffler for it to run cooler or get some kind of wrap.

The consensus, IMHO, has been that the wrap is not the best idea. Again, hopefully some of the side-pipe guys will chime in with upgraded exhaust choices. Most of us have an idea of what we want our viper to sound like, and that drove our decision.

And is it better to put 20's on rear & 19's on front or 19's & 18's, sorry about all the questions but i guess you can tell i'm kind of excited about my new Viper. Is it necessary to lower the car if i get the bigger wheels. i'll stop for now. Thanks again guys

Again, this is a choice for you to make. Viper purists will rip you for trying to bling up YOUR viper, but just ignore there blah blah ;). I've got the 20/19 combination on mine and I think it looks awesome. I do plan on lowering mine a bit, but not too crazy as my driveway is slanted the roads out here in Colorado get a lot of damage due to the constant freezing/thawing.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One more thing...join the VCA in order to get to all the threads in the forum...

While I agree with the above, you currently CAN'T join. The system was not setup for 2011, so when I joined last week, I ended up getting a refund and told to wait. Hopefully any day now. This message is on the website:
In preparation for the 2011 Membership Season, online membership is down

Please check back mid-October.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steel Grey Pearlcoat is one of the "favorite" colors out there. I love the way the color hues morph into purples and even sunset-pinks in the changing light. Remindsme of black-opal. CONGRATS and enjoy.

2000 was the first of the "creampuff" Vipers, and the first few hundred did have the dreaded "powdered metal" piston issues..... long ago fixed under warrantee. Enjoy the car, and be respectful of the torque available under your loud pedal. Old tires with lots of tread are a TRAP.

The G2 P/S cap issue is an urban legend, Just be certain it is TIGHT....techs and garage-monkeys check fluid levels quickly and dont tighten it. Use a shop-rag or towel, and Crank it tight. 200k miles, no lost caps. Your underhood rubber is 10 years old.

Oh.... my personal opinon on catless: Ratty, hammery, backfirey, poppy, stinky, scorchy-flames, and illegal. Other than that, some enjoy them! VOI-garage underground with several catless cars made my eyes water and nose-throat irritate, and hair and clothes stinky. Lower sill heat with HiFlow cats and exhaust...the discoloration of SGP paint from OE cat heat is not pretty, and difficult to match

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 2000 GTS steel Gray . Gorgeous color and great car . One of the contributing factors of buying my dream car . Was due to the load of confidence I got, from reading the forums . That the Viper is such a bullet proof car .
A mountain knowledge amongst the members here . All very willing to help with any info you need . When I recieved my car off the truck . It was missing the power steering cap .
I had zero issues with the car while I owned it . First mod I would make is replace the tires if they are originals . Congrats on the car take it easy until you learn how she bites :)

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my Car in today just in time to go pick up my boy (shane he's 13) from school & needless to say guess who had a grin ear to ear on his face. And as all of you probably already know everybody was going nuts over the car & shane was all of a sudden "The Man". I promise as soon as i figure out how to post the pictures i will, probably tonight after the wife gets home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960