Are cooling fans suppose to continue running?

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Viper brothers and sisters I need your help. I was driving home today at lunchtime, about 103 outside here in Sacramento. I had AC on and windows down, get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about 15 minutes and the car starts getting hotter than I am used to seeing. The temp was on the hash mark halfway between 190 and the 250 mark, have never seen it that high. Traffic started to move and the temp came back down to 190 where it normally sits. I get home pop the hood to make sure the fans are running and they are. I shut the car off and the fans shut off immediately. My question is are they suppose to continue to run after the car is off until the temperature drops down on the motor? The car is a 2002 GTS with 50000 on it. Thanks guys and girls! :)

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, they shut off when key is off (on my 96 anyways) but there is a kit you can buy (not sure if it works with a stock setup though) from Roe to adjust when (temp) the fans come on AND they will stay on for a bit (depending on temp) after the car is turned off...

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the car. I notice on my ACR they never run after I shut it off; but, on my wife's MB and my Abarth the fans run for a few seconds or minutes depending upon how hot it is.

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2000 ACR the fans continue to run when I shut down,... until the engine cools down. My car runs at approx 190 normally.

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I stand corrected. I have the Roe Racing Fan Control Kit installed. I identified it by the temp sensor.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed the Roe Kit myself. Install is a breeze and it works well. Take the time to adjust the sensor and you're golden.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused as to how the Roe kit is supposed to work. Once the engine is off, the water pump is no longer pumping, and water is no longer circulating. What good does it do to cool the water in the radiator? Just curious.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can do both while the engine is on or off. I don't see the point in it coming on after you shut the car down either, but it allows you to have them come on earlier to combat heat soak in stop and go traffic.

OP
OP
M

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I appreciate it. Didn't want to hurt my car by not knowing if the fans were suppose to continue to run or not. I just wasn't used to seeing the temp jump up that high. Glad to know it is normal. Thanks again. Jeff

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused as to how the Roe kit is supposed to work. Once the engine is off, the water pump is no longer pumping, and water is no longer circulating. What good does it do to cool the water in the radiator? Just curious.
Have to Aggree wittth you Jeff, if you have an aftermarket electronic water pump fitted (in place of the stock pump) then yes with cooling fans and pump pushing the water around will cool the engine quicker.

Just cooling the hot water in the radiator after the engine has been switched off might help a bit but the main area (the water in the engine block itself) will not be cooled?

You would not want the fans to run for too long due to the Vipers weak battery!

Have to say I had all these issues with my old cobra which was running a full race engine (on the road) ;)
Had one of these fitted.
http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_line_shop_Electric_Water_Pump_342.html

I normally lift the hood when the car gets home to let the engine cool down quicker ;)
Mines a 2000 GTS with stock fan and the fan does not continue running when you switch the engine off.

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I've seen....

Yes the water pump is not moving water but the fan moves air in the entire engine bay. By doing this it cools the block, heads and exhaust down quicker than it would normally. A benefit I've seen on this is that the cabin does not heat up immediately after shutting off the engine. Since the exhaust cools down the het does not bleed through the floor and sills. I notice that at night when I drive someplace and park the car for a few minutes. When I would get back in, the cabin would be real hot. Obviously during the day the sun does that.... But you get the point.

As for the battery. I replaced the battery with a better one. The fans run for about 10 min after shutting the car down... It's fine. I've had plenty of cars that do that from factory and with a good battery, it lasts without issue.

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
make sure the system is properly bleed.in heavy traffic you will have to take the ac off if the temperature is going up. I had this problem with my 2001 supercharged and I replaced the radiator.since then the temperature never goes up when in heavy traffic and ac on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi