Are the Gen II's value a little too high??

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If anything they are all lower because of the economy. Check completed listing on ebay to see the cars that actually sell. People are still buying and selling all generations. The fact that you are analyzing Gen2 values is probably an indication of what you really want so you should consider if something else will make you happy just because it's newer and has more power.

exactly.:2tu:

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny you list this car. I tried calling the seller earlier today to find out the "story". The phone number is no longer in service. As someone mentioned about Carfax, I ran an Autocheck and it didn't find anything on that VIN.

That definitely looks like a scam :omg:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys just compared a gen 3 Viper with a mid 80's Vette. The most disappointing part of Viper ownership so far has been the attitudes of some gen 2 owners towards any other gen Viper. Sorry but the least desirable Viper is still one of the most dramatic and exciting cars on the planet.

When I purchased my gen 3 I was actually looking for a gen 2 but after really spending time around both gens the gen 3 was more desirable to me. Another long time friend went through the same process and did the same thing.

I love all gens but based on what you hear around here I should just go ahead push my gen 3 off a cliff.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys just compared a gen 3 Viper with a mid 80's Vette. The most disappointing part of Viper ownership so far has been the attitudes of some gen 2 owners towards any other gen Viper. Sorry but the least desirable Viper is still one of the most dramatic and exciting cars on the planet.

When I purchased my gen 3 I was actually looking for a gen 2 but after really spending time around both gens the gen 3 was more desirable to me. Another long time friend went through the same process and did the same thing.

I love all gens but based on what you hear around here I should just go ahead push my gen 3 off a cliff.

No way I would compare a Gen3 Viper to any of the less desirable Vettes. My observation is that car enthusiasts didn't receive the styling change from the Gen2 Vipers to Gen3 very well. You could argue that the Corvette transition from the C3s to the C4s was similar but Vipers in general are just way more desirable than any C3 or C4 corvette and the performance is world's apart.

The GTS is a tough act to follow in terms of styling but the Gen2 cars needed some refinement to keep the brand marketable. Had Dodge rolled out the coupe that came in 06 back in 03 along with the Vert the Viper brand would have maintained it's market presence better because the styling changes on the coupe carry over more of the Gen2 styling.

At any rate the Gen3 Verts are fabulous cars. They are still 500hp limited production exotic roadsters with world class performance with a massive powerplant and tires that set it apart from any other car on the road. They are beautifuly styled cars but they do lack the classic and vintage styling cues of the ealier cars and for that reason they are way underappreciated and underpriced.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is no coincidence that the descending resale values coincide with the candyass features added over the years. And in 2012 with mandatory TC there is very little that separates the Viper from any other sports car. That big hulking V10 is about all that is left and now there is even talk of reducing that.

I will never sell either of my GenIIs. They have an attitude the new nannie cars will never have.

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comparison of the Gen 2s with the 63 Vette is a great example of where the value and desirability of the Gen 2s are, and are trending. We can see that trend happening with the real selling prices of well maintained Gen IIs.

It is not the norm for the Gen IVs to sell in the high 40's/ mid 50's, but I have seen a couple in the last month on ebay. I also still see a lot of Gen IVs selling in the mid 60's, low 70's. I agree that all car prices are "soft", and amazing deals can be had due to various circumstances. I say all this b/c there may be a slim possibility that a Gen IV can be had around 50k....and well maintained Gen IIs also sell at that price. I guess on the same note, Gen 2s can be found at a great price. I think the Gen 2 prices will only get higher, and people that currently own them know what they have.

Dave6666, pull your wedgie out and calm down. I simply started this thread to discuss the trend in Viper prices. As I stated on my first post, I have love for the Gen 2 and wanted to weigh the options based on current pricing and selling points.

I have found a few Gen IIIs currently being sold at great prices:

Dodge : Viper: eBay Motors (item 300477246435 end time Oct-15-10 18:03:36 PDT)

Dodge : Viper: eBay Motors (item 350401286197 end time Oct-15-10 18:03:38 PDT)

One other comment I will throw out there.....I am curious to see the Gen V and how it compares in looks to the Gen II. Based on rumors, it seems that Dodge has acknowledged the undying popularity of the Gen IIs, and applied those curves and looks to the new Gen V. I would be curious to see if there would be a few more Gen IIs on the market once the Gen Vs come out. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one was comparing the desirability of the Gen III convertible to a C3. The comparison was simply relative to the model year diferences. In other words a non-chrome bumper C3 is the least desirable corvette and my opinion is the SRT convertible is the least desirable Viper. Not comparing desirabiliy between the C3 and the SRT ragtop, just the Vipers within the Viper family.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think, as said earlier, that a low mileage well maintained (possibly all stock) GenII still goes for low to mid $40s, maybe high $30's. The lower priced Gen IIs tend to have higher mileage and are generally not in as pristine condition.

Gen III's that have been less expensive seem to be high mileage cars for the most part. As with Gen II's, a good low mileage Gen III will still go for good money.

You get what you pay for and rarely is a bargin truly a bargain!:nono:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3 prices have stabilized over the last 6 months as well both of the cars listed above have a few miles on them , the 03 listed at 40k has 33k miles and the o6 listed there at 43k has 22k miles. Both of those cars would have been in the 37-38 range a year ago. I don't ever see the gen 3's going up in value like some specific gen 2's. I just want to see the values bottom out at a reasonable amount. Which they seem to for the time being. I am interested to see what gen 4 acr prices will do when the gen v hits the market.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cratica I understood the analogy just didn't think it was a very good one. With so many vettes produced over the years there values just completely tank, a couple years ago pristine low mile z06's were selling for 19's. Vipers just don't bottom out like this.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. I own a GTS and a gen 1 and love both.Not to say newer models don't have their good points.Just buy what blows your bloomers! :dunno: Everyone has their favorite model but all Vipers are great in my book. Dude should get what he likes and stop worrying about which costs more.Just buy the one you think is best for you.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the key factors in collector car desirability is racing prominence. I'll go with a Sports analogy here being a NY Jets fan it's like comparing an authentic Joe Namath Autographed NFL Jersey to say that of Brett Favre or Mark Sanchez. When people ask me about my 98 GTS this always makes for great conversation especially when you're talking to people that have the perception that a Dodge Viper is nothing more than a straight line performance car.

Dodge contracted French racing team Oreca to build a racing version of the Viper known as the GTS-R in the FIA GT Championship's GT2 category, where they won the series in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002 (the last two with Larbre Competition). The car also won its class in the Le Mans 24 Hours from 1998 to 2000.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cratica I understood the analogy just didn't think it was a very good one. With so many vettes produced over the years there values just completely tank, a couple years ago pristine low mile z06's were selling for 19's. Vipers just don't bottom out like this.

I agree. SRT convertibles are still very, very nice cars... didn't want to make it sound like they weren't.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose one way to look at this is that the Viper hasn't appreciated since the intial GenI was launched...so why would the Viper (any Generation) suddenly appreciate or hold a high resale value...especially with the GenV coming out?

16 years ago some GenI owners were probably thinking their new GenI would fetch awesome prices in 15 years. How did that work out?

I don't think the Viper is going to appreciate in value during my lifetime and, frankly, I didn't buy my Viper based on this logic. I bought based on what I wanted. I'm enjoying the snot out of it and, just like my property values, I don't care about resale value. I don't live my life based on what my net worth is especially with cars...they depreciate, they're a liability and a money pit. Buy whatever your heart desires for whatever reasons make you happy but drive it like there's no tomorrow and don't look back on Viper resale prices. Thats my 2 cents.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blue/White's are never too high.

They are nice:). It's a tough call between the B/W and a gen 4 acr for my next snake. I gotta get one of each gen before I leave this earth.

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll give you my perspective, because I believe I am part of the reason the gap has closed so much between Gen 2s and Gen 3s in regards to the value of each car.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that many guys were still in college, high school, and grade school when the Gen 1s and Gen 2s were still new. Those were the cars guys had as posters on their wall, drove in video games and daydreamed of owning (I was one of them). Prices have gone down since, like nearly every other car has from that time period, and are now affordable for some of those kids who have grown up... So much so that they are willing to pay a premium compared to the newer Gen 3s just so they can own the car they once coveted. These cars can take you back a bit. They bring back memories from when you were younger and the thrill you got when you were lucky enough to just see one drive by. Buying a car that you have always cherished makes you feel proud... Like you accomplished something. Hell, owning a car like a Viper, Ferrari, or Lambo has been a life goal of mine. I grew up wanting a car like that so freaking bad that it motivated me to work harder in school from a very young age onward.

Will the same thing happen for the younger generations growing up around Gen 3s and Gen 4s? I have my doubts. TI believe the main reason is the lack of shock value, as I will mention again below.. Another reason is the youth today aren't as in to cars as they were as recently as 10-20 years ago. There was an article I read a few weeks ago about how the youth today view a car as a utility more than a social status symbol. Kids would rather buy new clothes than put that money into their cars... That kind of stuff. Now I don't really believe this will have much of a noticeable effect, if any, on the kind of people who obsess over cars like Vipers. Guys will always like badass cars.. It's just in our DNA. But as the years go on, more and more people may be choosing to put their money into homes and vacations rather than cars.

One other factor that affects people of all ages is the shock value that came with Gen 1s. Like others have said, Dodge just nailed that design and people couldn't get over the look of those cars... The vast majority of people to this day are still in awe of the Gen 1s and 2s. If you walked up to 100 random people and showed them two pictures, one of a Gen 2 and the other a Gen 3 and asked them to point to the Dodge Viper I'd bet more than 75% of those people would point to the Gen 2, even if they already know both cars are Vipers.

Don't take this as a Gen 3 hating post.. I love ALL Vipers. It's just my opinions on why I think the Gen 2 will hold better value than the Gen 3 from now and into the future.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take emotion out of the equation and the OP has a point. But these are emotion envoking cars, there is no way around that. Look at it from whatever angle you like, you're not going to change many minds around here!
But if he prefers to sit on the fence, waiting to see what happens next and how it may or may not affect the value of this car or that, so be it. But what's the point?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers share the same DNA. Gen 1's are just as fun to drive as the newest ones.

Colors and body shapes are all personal choices, and it pains me to see someone brag that their Viper is superior to someone elses, and that their choice was the best and the others ****.

I believe it is a crappy thing to do to throw up a bunch of statistics with strong spin to make the case that their Viper is better than someone elses.

Love and enjoy your Viper, but don't crap on someone elses choice.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take emotion out of the equation and the OP has a point. But these are emotion envoking cars, there is no way around that. Look at it from whatever angle you like, you're not going to change many minds around here!
But if he prefers to sit on the fence, waiting to see what happens next and how it may or may not affect the value of this car or that, so be it. But what's the point?

I was cruising the other day and my wife asked me to pull into the grocery store to get a few things. I was driving my GTS. While i waited for her to do her shopping ,a guy came over with a brand new Ford Crew cab pickup and said he would trade. I thought he was kidding until he said he was dead serious. I know that truck costed more than what i paid for the car,but i declined anyway. It was a very sharp truck with all the goodies but i would feel lost without my GTS.:crazy2: When he offered to give me his wife and dog ,i said well now i may just have to consider that! She was a good looking blonde and she said she wanted to do the trade too .(yeah,right!)...anyway i saw my wife coming out of the store and quickly said ' no,i already have a **** wife and like my car too. Thanks anyway' ...MORAL OF THE STORY...UH,Hell i guess their isn't one. :dunno:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's funny you mentioned the college kid thing. That was me to a "T" I graduated high school in 96' Great year for the Viper I might add :) I had to have one, period! Several times in my early and mid 20's I test drove and almost bought gen 1 cars, but every time I felt like I couldn't afford the "right" car. I would have had to settle for a car with high miles that wasn't taken care of to fit my budget. I decided to wait until I could really afford a nice example of the car that I had always wanted.

Funny thing happened though. When I had the money to finally pay cash for a really nice GTS I didn't. I was very surprised to be honest with you, but there were several things that kept me from it. No reason to go into details but I just decided that I would wait on it until later and get a newer car.

Honestly when it comes to Gen II's I really only think that there will be a select few that do actually appreciate in the short-mid term outlook.

GTSR'S
B/W ( Although not nearly as much as the GTSR's )

The rest of the really clean GTS's I think will probably go up a tad and hover around 40-45 for awhile. Which to me is really remarkable for any automobile.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a couple of posts in this thread and read the others and I just realized that the Subject doesn't make sense.

"Are the Gen II's value a little too high??"

Prices can be high or low but the Value is what it is... and typically determined by what people will pay but the value is assumed to be the right price... Correct ?

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect application of demographics, and what applies in my case (18 when the 96 came out), and my buddy (who was 19 when his 94 came out). While I did not know him as a child, I'm sure we were both freakin' out in the same way when the Viper concept debuted.

He has a newborn now, and I have one on the way. Neither of our cars are going anywhere. I like the Gen III and IVs, and would like to own one some day (IV over III), but I can tell you it will not have the job security that my Gen II enjoys.

I'll give you my perspective, because I believe I am part of the reason the gap has closed so much between Gen 2s and Gen 3s in regards to the value of each car.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that many guys were still in college, high school, and grade school when the Gen 1s and Gen 2s were still new. Those were the cars guys had as posters on their wall, drove in video games and daydreamed of owning (I was one of them). Prices have gone down since, like nearly every other car has from that time period, and are now affordable for some of those kids who have grown up... So much so that they are willing to pay a premium compared to the newer Gen 3s just so they can own the car they once coveted. These cars can take you back a bit. They bring back memories from when you were younger and the thrill you got when you were lucky enough to just see one drive by. Buying a car that you have always cherished makes you feel proud... Like you accomplished something. Hell, owning a car like a Viper, Ferrari, or Lambo has been a life goal of mine. I grew up wanting a car like that so freaking bad that it motivated me to work harder in school from a very young age onward.

Will the same thing happen for the younger generations growing up around Gen 3s and Gen 4s? I have my doubts. TI believe the main reason is the lack of shock value, as I will mention again below.. Another reason is the youth today aren't as in to cars as they were as recently as 10-20 years ago. There was an article I read a few weeks ago about how the youth today view a car as a utility more than a social status symbol. Kids would rather buy new clothes than put that money into their cars... That kind of stuff. Now I don't really believe this will have much of a noticeable effect, if any, on the kind of people who obsess over cars like Vipers. Guys will always like badass cars.. It's just in our DNA. But as the years go on, more and more people may be choosing to put their money into homes and vacations rather than cars.

One other factor that affects people of all ages is the shock value that came with Gen 1s. Like others have said, Dodge just nailed that design and people couldn't get over the look of those cars... The vast majority of people to this day are still in awe of the Gen 1s and 2s. If you walked up to 100 random people and showed them two pictures, one of a Gen 2 and the other a Gen 3 and asked them to point to the Dodge Viper I'd bet more than 75% of those people would point to the Gen 2, even if they already know both cars are Vipers.

Don't take this as a Gen 3 hating post.. I love ALL Vipers. It's just my opinions on why I think the Gen 2 will hold better value than the Gen 3 from now and into the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala