Automatic Viper?

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it does one day so the market for those with disabilities or otherwise unable to drive a clutch car will be welcomed.

Having seen a few Z06 cars have automatics swapped into them for veterans who were injured at war, it'd be nice to have that option out there for our guys.
I agree with your sentiments, I have fond memories of working with my uncle who had his leg amputated following a boating accident. We put an automatic transmission in a 1965 Corvette. It was a fun project and enabled him to enjoy the corvette among his many rides.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With such a small production and a V10, I do not think that the business case is their to develop a robust auto just for the Viper. We know that there is an SRT response to the ZL1 and Mustang 500 coming. That much is public. As stated above, I believe the vehicle will have to have an auto tranny option and that the business case is there for its development. I would guess that it is well along in development. The six speed manual in the SRT8 is basically a Viper tranny. So it is not a stretch for a robust auto for the rumored monster SRT8 to come, to share its tranny with the Viper. This is all speculation but it makes sense.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the new snake sits on the lots like the 09/10s did, then you can expect the paddles much sooner than you think! It is coming none the less, just a matter of when!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With such a small production and a V10, I do not think that the business case is their to develop a robust auto just for the Viper. We know that there is an SRT response to the ZL1 and Mustang 500 coming. That much is public. As stated above, I believe the vehicle will have to have an auto tranny option and that the business case is there for its development. I would guess that it is well along in development. The six speed manual in the SRT8 is basically a Viper tranny. So it is not a stretch for a robust auto for the rumored monster SRT8 to come, to share its tranny with the Viper. This is all speculation but it makes sense.

Have to agrere with Bob. He 6.2 Supercharged Challenger for MY2014 is rumored to be coming at at Gen 4 power levers (600hp, 550+ lb ft), so there will have to be a paddle-shifted auto to handle this power. Probably wouldn't be too hard to make it for the Viper as well.

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper with an F-1 transmission would be great, the Super-Fast, double clutch transmission of a Ferrari 458 is awsome as shifting time is about 100 milliseconds. Even if they could put in the ''old'' transmission of the f430 would be super :headbang:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60 in 3 seconds is cool in a viper but today there's a two second club with the GT-R, MP4-12C, etc. & those cars arent hand & foot.

after years of e-gear transmission and paddle shifters in the lambo, I'm honestly looking forward to the change in the other direction to switch it up. Bill raises a good point about the injured; driving a Lamborghini with my broken leg a couple of years ago was cool and not something I could've done in the 80's in a countach with a stick.

Like Ralph said, the hand and foot method "is an art" and I think the ********* guys want it preserved. on the other hand he admits that paddle shifters are only a matter of time for the snake. They could always offer both options......

phavyarden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Viper pulled a 3.2 0-60 with just clutch and pedal and no TC which was impressive for a powerful RWD car. But then I saw that the RWD Mclaren MP4C that has DCT did the same deed in 2.9 secs.
Don't forget that the Mclaren has it's engine at the Middle. That helps to put down the power to the rear wheels ;)

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the 2nd quarter of 2008, Getrag had signed an agreement with Chrysler to supply its PowerShift DCTs for use in American markets.[5] However, due to the global economic downturn, this was subsequently cancelled.

Getrag dual-clutch transmissions are used in the BMW M3,[28] BMW 335is, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i,[29] Ferrari California,[30] Ferrari 458 Italia,[31] Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG,[32] Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Ford and Renault vehicles.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really wouldn't mind flappy paddles.

Plenty would cry foul over it being added.

But, I think for it to keep attracting marketshare, they need to go in this direction - it is pretty much standard on all higher end performance vehicles. You can only pull people in for the novelty of the 6 speed stick for so long.

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The manual die hards are gonna have to accept the fact that the future is gonna change for ALL cars....

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One could argue a true sports car (small, low height, cramped interior,etc) don't really lend themselves to those with physical disabilities auto or not. Equally daunting is getting in and out of them. An auto Challenger, while not a sports car, is a good substitute for the physically challenged desiring automotive fun. As for those of you thinking sticks are dying, you're forgetting the 70s and 80s.

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, what happened to the stick in the 70's and 80's? I wasn't born yet.

Last edited:

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The will never make a Viper that is not a V10.

No, but i do foresee a drop in displacement. Precedence has already been set with the gtsr, 5.2-6.4 liter range ideally. Higher revs and perhaps forced induction would be nice along with an optional dual clutch 6-7 speed trans :) I would be willing to bet a joint venture similar to audi/lambo with a detuned version of the exotic mill could be in the viper's future. It only makes sense in todays global market.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of passion about the way it shifts. Personal preference for some, something much deeper for others.

I drive and track a 5 and 6 spd manual, and also now a 6 spd auto with paddles. I was concerned about getting the auto but a GT-R track buddy assured me he suffered no ill effects when he added that auto to his collection of manuals. I can heal and toe with the best of them, but I am just in awe of this rev-matching auto. You just can't catch it in the wrong gear, and upshifts in full auto don't seem to upset the car's balance in the corners. I sometimes use the paddles on the track, but mostly don't (at least until I get more seat time with them), and almost never for street driving. I always thought that the "art of shifting" was an integral part of my enthusiastic enjoyment of high performance and spirited driving... but I was wrong. I'll hang on to at least one of the manuals so I can have that variety when I choose, and maybe one day show somebody whose never seen one before!

Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21