AutoTrader

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my car in Autotrader for about a month. Have had no calls for the car from real people. The only calls have been from the scammers (my client will send you a check in the amount greater than you are asking ...blah,blah, blah,...) and from used car salesmen. Funny about the car salesmen, they all have the same starting line. "How low are you willing to go?" I am starting to think that the general public does not use AutoTrader, only car salesmen and scammers. I even had one scammer ask me to send pics even though they are in AutoTrader, I'm sure the car pics would have ended up on Ebay as a "for sale" automobile.

What sources have those that have sold a car used to move it? I listed it in the classifieds here last week. Unfortunately there are now 15 '01 RT/10 making it the least wanted RT/10 by owners. LOL. I've resisted the local paper to eliminate the "let me take a test drive" crowd.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found my car in the Autotrader, and sold one car and one bike thru this mean. A couple of "fake" call but nothing to dramatic.
Good Luck.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the reverse problem with AutoTrader. It seemed as though 75% of the Vipers I called about were fake ads. Maybe people are getting tired of the hoaxes and fake phone numbers and are usually Ebay or other means to find their exotics.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob, I'm assuming you are also advertising on cars.com, if not, I'd recommend it. And in regards to the test drive, if and when I sell my car, no one will be able to drive it till they own it. And if I lose a sale, so be it. If they were to damage it during the test drive, 9 out of 10 would simply hand back the keys and give an excuse as to why YOUR car went out of control. JMHO.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased my '95 RT/10 via AutoTrader.com about a 2 months ago. I was searching cars up to 1000 miles away and located this one 11 miles from my home. A great resource and time saver. I don't doubt here are a lot of scammers and tire kickers out there, but the system works overall. Just be firm about "Serious inquiries only, NO TIRE KICKERS OR FREE TEST DRIVES"!

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny about the car salesmen, they all have the same starting line. "How low are you willing to go?"

Haha, I must be a car salesman then. That's my starting line! :2tu: :headbang:

Good luck selling it. It'll sell eventually. When I was shopping for mine, I checked the autotrader often.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
auto trader worked for me, i sold my car in less then 12 hours. i think what
helped and the buyer told me was i put 9 pics of the car in the ad. i also put
in a very detailed description of the car. i viewed other ad's giving me a idea
as to what to say, that helped me alot. i found and bought my first 2 vipers on
autotrader.

DONT GIVE UP IT WORKS. :2tu:

now if you really need to sell, i love buying vipers, just ask the guys here :D

tom

OP
OP
B

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I'm assuming you are also advertising on cars.com, if not, I'd recommend it. And in regards to the test drive, if and when I sell my car, no one will be able to drive it till they own it. And if I lose a sale, so be it. If they were to damage it during the test drive, 9 out of 10 would simply hand back the keys and give an excuse as to why YOUR car went out of control. JMHO.

Gerald, thanks for the tip. I just put it on Cars.com.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my '94 in the AutoTrader for awhile, then took it out and sold it two months later. The buyer originally saw it in the Trader though.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add me to the "Satisfied w/Auto Trader" crowd. Sold my '99 Vette back in March for asking price of 23K with/in hours of posting. Quickly defected to Viper camp...

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've sold all my cars on autotrader, including my last viper(94 R/T10), which sold in 5 days,however, I had no takers on my current 98 GTS. I had to use ebay for this car for some reason(maybe it's the supercharger)? I had this car on autotrader for 3 weeks and never got a phone call, however, I had it on ebay and got a lot of calls after the auction was over. It kind of hurt my feelings because I always bragged at how easy it was to sell cars on autotrader. I guess e-bay is taking over when it comes to high end cars?