Awesome Dyno Results on Factory Warranty Rebuild

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share the before and after dyno results on my 96 GTS motor. It was rebuilt under factory warranty in January of 2000.

This motor is completely stock and has never had any internal engine modifications done to it. The orignial dyno was done on the car on March 6, 1998. At the time, the car had smooth tubes, K&N filters, and a set of SVS headers/exhaust with NO CATS. The corrected figures for torque and HP were as follows:

Peak RWT = 513.8 at 4,300 RPM
Peak RWHP = 464.2 at 5,300 RPM

While these were pretty strong peak figures, I was dissatisfied with aaceleration at the lower end of the RPM range as I was consistently getting outpulled on the track by my teammates who used SVP/Belanger headers.

I switched to the Belanger headers shortly thereafter and had my motor rebuilt under factory warranty in early 2000. I never returned to the dyno until February 22, 2001. The motor has several thousand miles on it since the rebuild, and approximately 18,000-19,000 miles on it in total. I also added a Tilton flywheel and clutch, and lightweight half shafts being experimented with by Desert Venom.

The new dyno results speak for themselves. These are the highest torque and horsepower figures I have ever seen for a stock Viper motor of any kind:

Peak RWT = 551.7 at 4,300 RPM
Peak RWHP = 496.6 at 5,200 RPM

Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the results. Both dyno tests were done by PRO DYNO in Tempe, AZ using a Dynojet Model 248C Chassis dynamometer. Both tests were done in 4th gear with a stock 3.07 rear gear ratio.

Chris Hines, the proprietor at PRO DYNO, informed me that the the lightweight flyweehl, clutch and half shafts would increase the the rear wheel torque and horsepower slightly, but he didn't think it would account for more than 6-8 RWHP.

Keep in mind that this is a purely stock motor!

As a baseline, before we tested my car, we tested a completely stock 98 GTS that still had the stock filters in it. The results were peak RWT of 453.9 and peak RWHP of 407.0, which is right in line with what we would expect.

We also tested another 96 Viper GTS that was prepared identical to mine, except it didn't have the lightweight half shafts. it had a factory crate motor in it that was completely free of internal engine modifications. Its peak RWT was 527.6 at 4300 RPM and its peak RWHP was 482.3 at 5300 RPM.

These results suggest that working on driveline efficiencies such as flywheels, clutches, half shafts, etc. can really make a difference! Also, it is apparent that Arrow is capable of doing one heck of a great job doing rebuilds.