Awesome use for WD-40

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have some stubborn baked on brake dust that won't come off with any of the wheel cleaners, tar removers, etc...

Give WD-40 a shot. It worked better than ANYTHING I tried, and the list is large. A few bucks at Walmart for a big can.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent 30+ minutes today on my wife's ML with a cleaner and brush and still didn't get all the baked on brake dust off. I'll try the WD40 tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

PS- Why didn't you post this last night? :D

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knowing this job would be a back-breaker, I removed the rims from the Viper. Only the front rims needed done, so it only took another 20 mintues or so (to remove the rims), and saved me time in the long-run.

Good point though, I would not spray WD-40 with the wheels on the car, unless you apply to a rag first and are very careful.

Here was my process:

1.) Remove rims from car.

2.) Spray WD-40 liberally and let soak in for a minute.

3.) Spray a little more and use your finger nails or another object that will not scratch the clearcoat. Magically it start to come off....

4.) Once clean, spray the wheels with a wheel cleaner to remove any WD-40 residue.

5.) Give them a coat of your favorite polish.

** Mine looked like new when I was done. On the other hand, my finger nails were not so fortunate.....

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know some guys who swear that a little spray of WD-40 on bait squid will make the fish bite.
Really.
I mean they really say it. I don't know if it really works.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another well kept secret is the cleaner that comes with K&N
air filters. I bought a gallon refill of the stuff. It's a great cleaner for wheels, engine grease and other detailing. Good thing is it's not dangerous to paint and doesn't etch aluminum like engine cleaners do.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used it recently to get the cone markings off my side sills after autocrossing. Takes a bit of work but eventually it gets it off. Anyone know of anything better?

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD-40 is also great for bug guts on the front end and tar on the wheel wells

Dave :usa:

To remove bugs from your car or windshield use a couple of Bounce dryer sheets. Wet them, rub on bugs and hose off. It works great, you won't believe how easy the bugs come off.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran out of hair gel. WD-40 to the rescue.
And it came with a party straw to reach the hard to get spots!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4