Barret Jackson not such a good deal anymore..

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of you who got in early, congratulations, because their new rate quotes are quite a bit higher. I called because my quote was 1013.00 for one year of coverage for my '97 GTS, 45K agreed value, no accidents, tickets,garaged, etc etc..

I get this deal now with Hagerty. So the BJ woman (very nice) tells me they had a change in their underwriting with the newer vehicles, she couldn't really explain what happened, but a big change was made. I don't know what happens in a year when all your policies are up, but I hope you guys still get good deals..

As of now, they are off my list. The good news is that a large insurance company has agreed to cover me for $41.00/month, with 500 deductible, 42K agreed value, 100/300/100 coverage , etc...
It pays to shop around I guess, I was surprised for sure..

Grundy was cheaper than BJ or Hagerty too, at around 613.00 for a year..
:usa:

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got farther then me with Barret Jackson. They told me they can't even offer insurance on a 97 GTS. So I went with my regular insurance company for now. What insurance company are you going with. Im also shopping around.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huhuhuhuhuh... you said the BJ woman was nice. lol

Did whoever you ended up going with have mileage restrictions?
I'm only paying around $750/year with Geico right now for a regular policy, but I would love to get an agreed value policy. The mileage restrictions are what kill me. I drive the car a lot as long the weather is nice and I don't want to have to ration my miles.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm Insurance, $500 Deductible, no restrictions of any kind, no rental car, no glass, no towing, 250/500/250 coverage and I pay $79/month with an agreed upon value of $65K for my 06' Coupe.

I have all my daily cars and collectible cars with State Farm. No issues, decent prices and all collector cars have agreed upon value. I don't mind paying a little more, knowing if something does happen, they will truly pay to fix it right. Sometimes too cheap insurance is not worth it.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm Insurance, $500 Deductible, no restrictions of any kind, no rental car, no glass, no towing, 250/500/250 coverage and I pay $79/month with an agreed upon value of $65K for my 06' Coupe.

I have all my daily cars and collectible cars with State Farm. No issues, decent prices and all collector cars have agreed upon value. I don't mind paying a little more, knowing if something does happen, they will truly pay to fix it right. Sometimes too cheap insurance is not worth it.

Does state farm only base the car's value? Or do they consider mods into the value? I'm trying to find a place that will alow me to appraise my car including mods.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might depend on the state you live in as well. I had state farm and they would not do agreed value for me on my cars. I had them since I got my first viper (still have them on my home and DD's) but with the chances to get out this year being few and far between I figured the switch could not hurt and it would save me some $$.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh-oh.....so this is going to be a one year good deal....:(
Guess they were lowballing the market to get customers and get swamped.
I am paying $875.00 a year for BOTH cars with 110K and 60K agreed value.

Got a feeling that's not going to last.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh-oh.....so this is going to be a one year good deal....:(
Guess they were lowballing the market to get customers and get swamped.
I am paying $875.00 a year for BOTH cars with 110K and 60K agreed value.

Got a feeling that's not going to last.

Jon, who did you use?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got into BJ with those rates, but it looks like that will change dramatically at renewal.
I changed over a month or two back when there was a big thread about BJ and their rates.
At the time, I had Grundy and the same coverage was $2300.00.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got into BJ with those rates, but it looks like that will change dramatically at renewal.
I changed over a month or two back when there was a big thread about BJ and their rates.
At the time, I had Grundy and the same coverage was $2300.00.

How is Grundy? I was looking into them, but haven't filled out the paper work they mailed me yet, since I also have to attach photos and invoices to prove all the mods I got so I can get valued for them as well.

The only thing holding me back at the moment, are some of the scam stories I've read and heard about regarding them. How was your experience with them?

I was asking for 80k-90k value for my car and ALL mods and the coverage price they gave me from that was definitely lower than $2300. Which makes it hard for me to believe it's true...

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well since I never made a claim with Grundy (except for a replacement windshield) I can't tell you how they handle one, but at the time their rates were the best of all the collector car insurers that I checked into.
I never heard any scam stories, what have you heard?
They were considerably less than Hagerty for the same coverage.
Then BJ came along and they were a third of Grundy so I switched.
But apparently BJ is revising who they cover and their rate structure.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried Hagerty first, but because I live in MA, had 1 or 2 tickets on my record and the fact I drive my car 6k miles a year they denied me.

My father was actually browsing the web after I told him I was considering Grundy and found some things and was telling me about it. From what I can remember, something about a guy filling out the paperwork giving his credit card# and them agreeing on a value and then later Grundy coming back saying that after talking with their management they were unable to go by what they originally agreed on, but already took money from his account, which resulted in an ongoing process for the guy to get his money back and him getting some, but not all of it.. I don't fully remember, since there were some other stories too. But I would like to use them if others recommend them, since they do seem to be a good company. Just some of that stuff worried me, so I figured I'd ask how other's experiences were with them.

Well since I never made a claim with Grundy (except for a replacement windshield) I can't tell you how they handle one, but at the time their rates were the best of all the collector car insurers that I checked into.
I never heard any scam stories, what have you heard?
They were considerably less than Hagerty for the same coverage.
Then BJ came along and they were a third of Grundy so I switched.
But apparently BJ is revising who they cover and their rate structure.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with Grundy....no complaints, but I didn't have a cleaim with them either.

I switched to the BJ policy because (As ViperJon said) the rate was something like a third as much.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with Grundy....no complaints, but I didn't have a cleaim with them either.

I switched to the BJ policy because (As ViperJon said) the rate was something like a third as much.

Alright, good to know. I'll prob try calling them than. Do they only allow you to go through them if you put on low mileage every year? I don't drive my car a ton, but at most I normally put around 6,200 miles a year. So I guess 6,500-7,000 tops.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have grundy and pay $702 a year with an agreed value of 48k on my 04 viper no complaints and no claims so far. They where the cheapest i found from a few collector car insurers i looked into.

How is Grundy? I was looking into them, but haven't filled out the paper work they mailed me yet, since I also have to attach photos and invoices to prove all the mods I got so I can get valued for them as well.

The only thing holding me back at the moment, are some of the scam stories I've read and heard about regarding them. How was your experience with them?

I was asking for 80k-90k value for my car and ALL mods and the coverage price they gave me from that was definitely lower than $2300. Which makes it hard for me to believe it's true...

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grundy here as well. They don't have mileage restrictions, but do not allow commuting with the car...you must prove that you have a daily driver. Very friendly person helped me get set up. No hassles.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grundy here as well. They don't have mileage restrictions, but do not allow commuting with the car...you must prove that you have a daily driver. Very friendly person helped me get set up. No hassles.

Yup, I believe I did speak with them about that. Which I do have a daily driver, so I should be all set.. thanks for the info everyone, I'll prob follow up with them sometime next week :2tu:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I should fill in some blanks. We have been with the same State Farm Agent for 15+ years. Home, Autos, Umbrella, etc., etc. are all with State Farm. No tickets, etc.

Stated "agreed upon" value of cars was what I felt they would take to replace them. No appraisals! Cost as agreed upon is pro-rated into the stated premiums we pay, but is not a linear formula for payment determination based upon agreement cost.

In 2005, someone keyed the hell out of my Saleen XP8 Explorer (I use to have) during an Avalanche game and State Farm paid to repaint the entire vehicle, new graphics, etc. using original parts at the body shop of my choice. My premiums did not even go up.

Like I said, having insurance is one thing. Getting them to pay for it in the event of an accident is another. I have full confidence in them paying if there is an accident. In 2009 our home basement flooded and did $42,000 damage. Again State Farm stepped up and paid it all without question and our premiums did not even go up. Then again we are in Colorado if that makes a difference.

To have that confidence, you may pay a premium, but they have earned me as a customer for life with their service and response. I don't even bother shopping around, though I know they are being fair with the costs we are paying on everything.

It's like those people that drive around to look for the cheapest gas price at the pump. You spend more money driving around looking that if you went down to the corner and bought your gas from the closest most expensive gas station. In the end, it is insurance and you need it.

viperracer77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping to go with Bj insurance because of the rates I saw in these forums and my dad got a great rate on his cars. Then I wated for 3 weeks after I turned in my information for them to tell me they couldn't insure me because of my age. So then I tried Hagerty and the quote I got from them was for $3200, with a agreed value of 50000 and I could only drive 1500 miles a year. So needless to say I insured it through AAA with the rest of my stuff and got it for 500 a year, 500 deductible and no driving limit.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another Grundyite here. $504 per year with AGV of $40K for my '01 RT, with no mileage restrictions. But, can't drive it to work and can't track it. Which I'm not (just in case they're lookin').:nono:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the agreed upon value work? For example, if I have an 08 Viper and have an agreed upon value of $90K, what happens if I have a very bad wreck and the market value is $75k? Will they spend the money to repair a wrecked vehicle up to its agreed upon value and only pay the $90k if it costs more than that to repair it?

I'm just curious how far will the insurance company go to repair a wrecked car before just paying you off. Do you really want a car with $85k worth of repair work? Does anybody know exactly how this works and does it matter what State you're in?

Thanks,
George

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did end up with State Farm. There are mileage restrictions, however they won't be a problem for me. There also is not glass coverage. So the price is gonna be $42.42 a month, which sounds a lot better than the up front cost of Hagerty ($1013.00).

There was an issue initially with getting the rate in with the agreed value, I guess they felt my 42K was too low, and wanted to charge me more for the actual replacement value. The policy did go through, but if something changes I'll probably go somewhere else like Grundy, who quoted my like $613 which isn't too bad..

I think it's being classified as a classic or antique, which is strange....:dunno:

I didn't add into it the mods or anything, the price would just keep going up..

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett-Jackson isnt actually the Underwriter for their Collector Car Insurance. The Underwriter is Chartis, part of AIG. I've had 2 Prowlers insured with them with stated values and 0 deductibles for 3 years. There are mileage limits of 2500 per year, no one under 25 allowed to drive them and neither one could be a 'Daily Driver'.
I sold one of the Prowlers recently and bought the '06 SRT 10 and they insured that for me at my Stated Value and same coverages. My total cost for both Prowlers the first 2 years and one Prowler and the Viper the 3rd year are LESS than $500.00 per year for BOTH cars. Plus I had a claim on one of my Prowlers and they were excellent in handling the claim. And, I know what to watch for with Insurance Claims as I was a Bodyshop Manager for 30 years.
I've also heard from my Prowler buddies that if you go to an Event out of State and will accumulate more than your alotted 2500 miles, as long as you call them before the trip they will OK the extra mileage. Haven't tried this specifically myself but know some who have. I'm going to try this on a Prowler trip in Sept that will probably take 3000 miles to complete.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a long time State Farm client as others have stated. I have a 97 B&W GTS and pay $382 per year. 250/500/250 coverage with a $500 deductable, stated value as well. I beleive the only restriction is 5000 miles per year which isn't a problem for me since I spread my "playtime" driving over all my cars.

Just my $.02 for the discussion.