Barrett-Jackson observations

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three Vipers sold at BJ this year. Gen I, II and III were represented. A thank you should go out to the BJ folks for having 3 Vipers represented. Very few 1990+ cars were at the auction. Craig Jackson sold his personal SRT-10 last year so perhaps he has a soft spot for Vipers. All brought strong money. Two of the three were heavily modified. BJ turned down approx. 4,500 cars this year.

Perhaps they should change the name to Barrett-Jackson/Corvette Club Auction for 2008. It seemed like every third car or so was a pre 1972 Vette. Approximately 12.5% of all cars sold this year were Vettes.

There seemed to be an almost endless supply of big block Vettes, Hemi Cuda's, 383 and 440 Cuda's, 69 Camaro's, Yenko cars, COPO cars, Shelby Mustangs, Boss Mustangs and Fastback Mustangs. Certainly makes you start to wonder about the true rarity factor.

There were certainly some very good deals early in the week and on Sunday. Anything bought prime time (Friday and Saturday night) was sky high.

The total of 18% paid to BJ (8% from the seller, 10% from the buyer) seems rather excessive.

The multi year proven formula for high bids from the general baby boomer public: Free flowing alcohol, beautiful cars, national TV spotlight, bidders assistants that make you feel like a schmuck if you don't bid more, alcohol, an untapped home equity loan, some sort of story to tell surrounding the car, sheer competitiveness.

Amazing how many of the restored cars and resto-mod cars were finished within the last year or so. This is the best they will ever look, until another restoration. The new owners better keep them in a bubble or value will diminish rapidly.

Best buys, IMHO, many of the hot rods sold for 1/2 or less of what it would take to build them. I'm also very attracted to the "survivor" cars. A true survivor with no repaint, original matching numbers, etc. You can actually drive these cars a few miles a year and not worry about a flaw or two. Fewer and fewer each year and as they say "they're only original once".

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did the Henn car go for?

My thoughts.........

Other than the charity cars, I think that the bidders were given a
code like x4 or x2 meaning that what they bid was 4 times the amount
that they had to pay. Lots of the same bidders as last year. Where
are these guys throughout the year, there are lots of cars for sale
in publications and on ebay that are as nice for a small fraction of
what they sold for during the hyped up heat of the moment.

On a positive note, it made me go out to the garage and kiss a few
of my cars on the hood;

70 Hemi Cuda
69 RS/SS Camaro 396/350hp
68 SS/AA Hemi Cuda fastback
87 Buick Grand National
65 Plymouth Belvedere A990
07 BMW M6 Coupe
and of course my 1 of 14 1997 Viper GTS in Red/Yellow!

Long live Television and Internet!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might overpay on a car if I can **** Amy Assiter.
She has a great smile.
Crap, did I say that out loud? :eek:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJ is all smoke and mirrors. A friend just got back from the auction today and said that the cars represented were pretty much what you would see at a local show. Alot of very average cars with a few standouts. What he meant was that most were very average restorations...only a few 100pt machines. Heck, everything looks good on TV.

I watched some of the action on Speed, and I can only speak about the older Mopars (Of which I have restored my share). In my viewing, I did not see a single restored Mopar that was 100% correct...yet they brought crazy money.

In my opinion BJ is not helping the hobby by using words like "recreation", or "tribute".....to define a clone or fake. If it started life as a 318 'cuda...that's what it is...even if you put a Hemi in it.

At least where I live, the musclecars are loosing steam amid the "regular" folks that love them because they simply cannot afford them anymore...and BJ is part of the reason.

In my thinking, BJ is a place where the wealthy play...it's not the true backbone of the old car hobby.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, my observations may be somewhat different. I was amazed at the decrease in prices of some of the cars. Some Corvettes that were going upwards of 200k last year, the identical cars were going for 140 to 160k range this year. Those are really bid hits. There was such a softening of the market, it was almost scary to watch. Did you see the Duesenburg? Yes, I know it is a "typical lawyer" answer, but did you see how low the bidding was on that one? Jackson himself was into the crowd. He understood that he potentially had liability in not bringing in the proper crowd.

And what was up with the Mustangs this year? Some of those increased really large amounts.

Overall, it was very strange. Oh, and if you had a European car, forget about BJ. They all got really low prices.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
another thread here mentions to FE ACR selling for $66k.
Great initial post. All cycles cycle and this one will soon, too. Internet stocks in the late nineties, real estate these past few years and now $285k muscle cars... I still LOVE the 5,000 - 10,000 low, low mile originals! I believe those are the true collectibles.

imsa2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rt/10 sold for $55k, GTS FE went for $66 and SRT sold for $106,700. RT/10 and SRT were heavily modded ans SRT was a white mamba also

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always want to call the ads were it's a "clone" and ask if I can pay with cloned money??

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< "In my opinion BJ is not helping the hobby by using words like "recreation", or "tribute".....to define a clone or fake. If it started life as a 318 'cuda...that's what it is...even if you put a Hemi in it." >>

look on the bright side, this will NEVER happen to a viper!

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean it will never happen to a Viper? Viper magazine delivered today has a Viper pro street drag car with Hemi. In excess of 2,000 horsepower and a pro street world record of 6.450 seconds and 222.69 MPH.

I might just swap my V-10 for a Hemi so I can say "Sure, its got a Hemi" get more horsepower and make room for a couple of pieces of luggage under the hood.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean it will never happen to a Viper? Viper magazine delivered today has a Viper pro street drag car with Hemi. In excess of 2,000 horsepower and a pro street world record of 6.450 seconds and 222.69 MPH.

I might just swap my V-10 for a Hemi so I can say "Sure, its got a Hemi" get more horsepower and make room for a couple of pieces of luggage under the hood.

my point is that there was only one engine option ever offered in a viper. i really doubt your hemi swap is ever going to improve the value of "stock" viper. they estimate that there is a 2 to 3 year waiting list for hemi blocks right now, so if you have one, drop it in a cuda or a challenger before the value of doing so drops any further.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The multi year proven formula for high bids from the general baby boomer public: Free flowing alcohol . . . alcohol . . .
Point of information: the VIP/bider passes came with a separate laminate pass that was good for 10 free drinks each day. That means that a bidder and his wife were entitled to 20 free drinks a day.

But all in all some of you haters are taking the auction WAY to seriously. In this day of $10k bizjet flights, and $20k skybox parties at stupid sporting events buying a car at B-J is appropriate if not cheap fun for a 50 year old guy who loved muscle cars in high school and through hard work and luck has $10,000,000 or so in the bank. Heck he even gets a car he can sell in a year of to instead of nothing but a story about how some college football player dropped a pass.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And my observation is Carol Shelby's a J-OFF for pimping
that prehistoric tire smoker.
Give it to a museum where kids can see it or me for the weekend, ******.
Got any idea how long it takes me to save 5.5mil. :)
what the he!! was the topic.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I still LOVE the 5,000 - 10,000 low, low mile
originals! I believe those are the true collectibles.

Nothing like buying one of the most powerful cars ever built
to put in your garage...

under lock and key...

where UV rays can't hurt it...

never to be driven again to avoid depreciation...

yup, that's what it means to be a car guy these days...

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that when most of the big dollar mopar products hit the block speed went to commercial? And it was endorsed by ford this year, and no breaks when the big fords rolled on. And a surprising incease in their prices. Maybe for the seconds of fame?

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was watching the Sunday coverage last night on the DVR. One other point about this years auction:

Anyone else notice how the announcers were absolutely obsessed with their running top ten list of highest prices paid? Anytime a car started approaching six figures on the block, the commentators would break into an excited discussion of "this could be in our top ten for today" or "now it's clearly at least # 8 for today". After six days of coverage the running total stack rank of price thing got rather annoying.

I think they often wanted to say something like: "Cha-Ching!, another $100,000 car, that's a cool $18,000 commission for BJ"

I agree that prices on the Fords were strong this year. They said that in the 1998 BJ auction prices of Shelby Mustangs ranged from $17k to a high of $36k. A little different now!

Overall, great entertainment and a lot of good information.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how I know I dont belong at a Barrett-Jackson Auction..... When I look at this picture, the first thing that comes to mind is.....

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

"Hell, If I get rid of those old ass Paxtons, and put some newer Novi's on there, that should get me at least a couple more hundred horsepower!!!" :)

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rt/10 sold for $55k, GTS FE went for $66 and SRT sold for $106,700. RT/10 and SRT were heavily modded ans SRT was a white mamba also

The 106k car was turbo.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick that I wasn't there - I would have bid over $40K on Von Dutch's bus!

Oh well, hopefully the guy that got it will make some dough on it - he should be able to make well over $100K on it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi