Battery maintainer/tender?

98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to know what battery maintainer/tender to get. I don't know what battery it has in it and since it's in the wheel well I can't get to it easily to check. My thoughts based on what I have read is you can technically use a AGM battery maintainer on a flooded though it is not ideal versus you cannot safely use a flooded maintainer on an AGM. My plan is whenever I have to replace a battery just to use an AGM. My question is how many amp maintainer should I use on my Viper? Any advice would be appreciated

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I am sure you will get many opinions on this.

I use Deltran Battery Tender Plus units on all of our Vipers...and, have been doing so since 1998...accumulating just under 1.25 million Viper-tender hours. I like these units as they are quite dependable and have a good safety record. An old one did "die" recently...showing a green light but not charging while being used on a spare battery on the shelf. These units are usable on flooded lead acid batteries as well as AGM.

I am also fond of Ctek 7002 chargers...and, periodically rotate a couple of these into my charging schedule...setting it in the AGM setting until fully charged, then switching yo Recondition mode til fully done.

I hope this helps !!

OP
OP

98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. Is that the 1.25 amp maintainer?

OP
OP

98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about a Schumacher charger/maintainer. It claims to have a switch between AGM and standard. It maintains a 3A and charges at 10A. Would that be acceptable?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I really don't have an opinion as I have not tried one.

I will also add that I do use surge protectors on all units...BUT, if lightning is anticipated, I physically unplug them from the wall sockets. Also, I do not use units that automatically apply an amperage load (for desulfanation) when I am not at home.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've used some basic Schumacher units for years. I think my dad got them at Walmart or something. They seem to work okay as far as I know, but they are only maintainers, they don't have any large charge capacity or anything like that. The older ones are switchable between 6V and 12V, but the one newer one I have auto detects voltage (which is good because I've kicked the switch more than once). Not sure if they are AGM compatible though.

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use the Schumacher battery maintainers on my Viper and other vehicles, Boat, Bikes and ATVs.
I have slightly changed my charging practice during my extended Hibernation during Winter months by putting the maintainers on timers giving a three hour on window per day.
I have become concerned that these type units might "damage" the batteries if powered on 24 X 7.
Sometimes the "red" battery bad lights were coming on even though the batteries were still Ok.
Over this past summer I manually unplugged the units periodically and the red-light problem went away.
This is my first year and will see in Spring if I will continue this new practice.
Ky

Reguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using Battery Tender Plus for about 20 years. Pretty much attach it and forget about it. The original factory battery on my O4 lasted for 15 years.

Brilly

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Been using Cen-Tech Deluxe on Gen II. Have it hooked up directly to battery with the connect out the inside of the back wheel well. Easy and works great.

Monopoly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using this NOCO GeniousPRO since 2016. No issues so far on a Mustang, S2000 and now Viper. My battery on this Viper seems like its got a drain from somewhere. I'm assuming its from the Alpine deck someone did a **** poor job installing. Next years problems.

9yw559

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have used .75 amp Battery Tender Jr.'s for over 20 years. I run jumper wires to another stored vehicle so each charger actually charges two batteries. Have 3 of these chargers charging a total of 6 vehicles. Average battery life?, eight to 12 years per battery. Have a 2002 Viper still running on its second battery and the other vehicles/generators/lawn equipment show the same life. Good luck!

Reguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, what type of battery came with my '04 from the factory? Was it an AGM?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if AGM was even standard enough in 94 to
be a factory on any vehicle now that i think of it? Personally
i use 5amp Battery Tenders on all my cars, truck, and
tractor now since the upgraded unit can self-determine
which core the battery is using. They are expensive, and
dont last as long as the Juniors, but on my Excursion and
Freightliner multi-battery setups they seem to maintain
effortlessly...

tednphx

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I also have used Deltron battery tender units for over 35 years. I have two 2 car tenders which I have hooked to my C5 and my 2004 white Mamba. The mamba has a cable hooked under the hood and it runs out the lower opening of the front bumper.

I also have a Granite #1200 6-12 volt maintainer. I really like it because its small, automatically determines the proper voltage and polarity. I use this one on my 54 Corvette, which has a 6 volt AGM battery. Must be doing something right, I got over 15 years out of the last AGM battery here in Arizona.