Best shifter - B&M or Hurst ???

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the stock shifter in my '04. I already changed the lever to MGW short shaft, and while that was an improvement, I'm still think there is a lot of room for improvemnent in regard to throw and smoothness.

I have been reading posts about both the Hurst and B&M replacement and was hoping I could get some feedback from guys who have installed them. What are the pros and cons of each and was there a real improvement over stock? Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the same boat.

Had my 2006 SRT 10 Coupe for a week ,and I have been looking at B&M Hurst & SVS

I would Like to hear more about those using the SVS short shifter that comes with 2 shafts.

The only thing with me-I don't want something that is hard to shift ,and I need it to go into reverse easy. One member said that he had ,at times, to use both hands to get it in reverse with his short shifter, that will not be good for my right shoulder.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mopar Hurst shifter installed coutesy of Chuck Tator and absolutely love it. I found the stock shifter wayyyy to long and a bit sloppy. In fact mine wouldnt center itself if I put the shifter in between first and second. While the hurst is definitely short and does require a bit more effort to engage the gears, it is a must have compared to stock. The shifts are short, firmer and more mechanical.

Here is a pic with the MGW ball on top.

93849384DSC04034-med.jpg

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the hurst shifter is about 1 1/2" longer than stock. So I imagine I will be ok with the MGW first strike knob. I may get a hurst shifter that is cut off about 1 1/2"

In comparsion of hurst and b&m ,some say not much difference. They say the SVS is more of a race version. Dont hear of too many running the SVS.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is another alternative. Woodhouse modifies the stock shift mechanism. I have it on my SRTC. It works well.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hurst Mopar is what we have decided to use. It is shorter than stock and works perfect with the MGW know that has the short stem on it. It is a very easy and percise shifter. If you use the short MGW it will be harder to shift. I have sent bith Blue Steak and Vaetine Viper PM's showing this shifter and the different knows.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worm--Very nice looking--That looks like MGW knob. How hard is it to shift being that low ,any problems going into reverse.. I do have a first strike race knob(handle type)so mine would be low like yours with that Hurst shifter.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worm--Very nice looking--That looks like MGW knob. How hard is it to shift being that low ,any problems going into reverse.. I do have a first strike race knob(handle type)so mine would be low like yours with that Hurst shifter.

Very easy to shift over stock. The shifts are much more crisp and quick. No problem at all getting into reverse. I would highly recommend it.

Patrick

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both B&M and Hurts are great shifters. I have the B&M, but have driven cars with the Hurst and I can't tell a difference. B&M sponsors the Speed World Challenge races if that helps you decide.
Note: at some tracks we shift 12 times per lap, times 12 laps per session, times 16 sessions per weekend = 2304 shifts on the track at speed, not counting whatever we do in the pits!

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like either shifter is a good choice. One last question... From the posts I have read, it appears that I can use the MGW shift lever/knob I already have in conjuntion with the Hurst shifter. Is this correct?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justmake sure the thread size is the same. From what I have heard some of the original hursts came with a different thread size. Also anything but the screw-on ball will be too long as th hurst shifter has a shaft already.

See my pic above

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Justmake sure the thread size is the same. From what I have heard some of the original hursts came with a different thread size. Also anything but the screw-on ball will be too long as th hurst shifter has a shaft already.

See my pic above

Your pic is pretty dark and I can't really see any detail. This is a bit confusing. Most of the pics I have seen show the Hurst ball just barely sticking out of the boot with no visible shaft. The knob I have now is the MGW Gripper Shifter. It has a small shaft (maybe 3 inches) and I like that height. Are you saying this won't work?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the short shaft by mgw and found it was too long. The ball works best. My pic is taken at the height of the cneter console so it is a bit deceiving. It is short but that is the way it was designed. The ball that Hurst sells for the shifter does not have a shaft either. Believe me you will like the ball with no extension the best.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way my shifter is the exact height at the other pic in this post. The picture is a different angle. The Hurst does have a shaft that come above the shifter bezel as you can see from my pic.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the new Hurst / Mopar are the correct size thread to fit your oem or aftermarket Mopat / MGW knobs. The original Hurst shifter back around 2003 were different. I found that the MGW Gripper round knob with the 1" chrome stalk seems to work best as the new Mopar-Hurst shifters with just a round ball are really low and harder to shift as shown in WormDoggy's picture above. Height is a matter of personal preference.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my 2006 SRT 10 coupe for little over a week. I have the MGW First Strike Race knob on my stock set up ,but I have ordered the mopar hurst shifter from Racer Robbie-he takes the hurst shifter and blueprints it. Ill have it installed, with the MGW knob, probably by next week end. Ill post results.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the hurst shifter and knob and love it. Took some getting use to, but i really have more fun with it now.

flexcalibur

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where can the hurst mopar be purchased online? Thanks!
Is what Snake-Oyl sells the same thing?

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look in the "Market Place" section under performance parts. There are a number of venders who sell it. I ordered mine from Roe Racing. I have purchased a few other things from them and the service has been excellent.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished installing the B&M shifter today, and used the stock Viper shift knob. It seems about the same height as the OEM setup. I ordered the MGW knob, but haven't received that yet. Might just stick with the OEM knob, it seems OK to me.

Shifting seems a bit less vague than the OEM setup, but I would still like a stronger 1-2 detent spring. Overall the B&M shifter appears like a high quality unit, well made of good materials. The instructions were simple to follow although more geared to a Gen I or Gen II.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

SPARTICUZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have Mopar Hust shifter, very short and short throws as well.
Feels great but not much room for error, carefull from 3rd to 4th :) could miss shift thru driver error.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wreckless,

Actually it didn't take too long, but it was a bigger job than the instructions indicate. You need to remove the center console, not just the part near the shifter that snaps off, and in order to do that without breaking anything I needed to remove the plastic panel behind the seats. I have the Autoform roll bar, so my plastic panel is an Autoform unit; I am not sure if you would need to remove the stock unit. At any rate, in order to remove the panel, I needed to unfasten the seat belts, and in order to do that I needed to remove the seats (because I have harnesses) etc. etc....

As another diversion was that I have the RB1 & iPod kit and decided to re-route the iPod cable as I already had stuff out, but you get the point. The actual installation itself was very easy & simple.

At any rate once I got the center piece out everything was simple & smooth.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

wreckless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like my never ending, or should I say, ever expanding projects. Glad it did work out in the end for you. My family motto is "Nothing's Easy".

Hey Valentine, what color is your 04? I live in Moorestown and I've only seen a red and a black SRT/10 in the area. Is yours one of those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery