Best state to live in with a viper?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might relocate in the next year or two, and a big consideration of where I move to is which state it would be nicest to own a viper (or any exotic) in. There are a lot of factors, some more important than others.

Is a front license plate required?
How strict is the emissions testing, if required?
What are the speeding and other laws that have to do with driving?
How strictly are they enforced?
Are there red light / speed cameras?

I’m sure there are others that I can’t think of. Which states do you guys think are the friendliest towards our vipers?

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Louisiana the Cost of Living is a major factor. Being a transplanted NY'er I can tell you it's great LOW, LOW, LOW compared to the North especially TAXES. As for your questions:
No front plate required.
Emissions testing...None. Baton Rouge and New Orleans area do have some testing but I have no idea how thorough it is.
Four lane highways are 65 mph, Two lane 55 mph. Interstates 70 mph.
Not strictly enforced, locals in towns, State police on major roads.....but you can earn a Certificate of Speeding if you get carried away.
Nope no camera's here...don't know about big cities i.e. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport etc.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may as rule out "blue" states right off the bat. You know all those kill-joys and tree-huggers in the blue states are going to tax you to death, and do whatever they can to make things miserable for you just cause you're driving a fun car.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd vote for Nevada:
- I don't runa front plate on any car and have never been harassed
- If your car is OBDII then smog consists of nothing but a scan to make sure you're not throwing any codes - no sniffers or visual
- Around Vegas we've got two freeways and a beltway. Otherwise it's city streets (many 3 lanes each way) that most people speed on
- No red light cameras that I know of

Plus, the weather here and lack of rain allows us to drive the Viper year 'round, we have no state income tax here and a fairly low cost of living (alot lower than SoCal where I moved from).

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't move to Virginia!

Personal property taxes on the Viper are outrageous ($3K/year);

You can spend time in jail for driving over 90 mph in Fairfax County, a very large (and tax rich) DC suburb;

Front plates are required, but I've yet to see it enforced (this time is coming);

Photo lights are common, but unless you contest and lose, it doesn't affect your record or insurance;

Did I mention OUTRAGEOUS property tax???;

Maximum speed limit 65, although it's pushed by everybody; and

Radar detectors are illegal.

On the plus side, we do have the longest road course in America. :2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems obvious to me: whichever place you would drive your car most, and has good roads - forget the other crap. Although I wouldn't recommend CA for its political stupidness and multitudes of other detractions, the weather and roads in CA pretty much make up for the rest of it. Front plates are required, but I've yet to see a Viper with a front plate. Higher taxes sure, but you've already got a Viper. Photo radar in some places, but no front plate makes that less of an issue. Strict emissions testing, but considering my Viper is one of the few unmodified ones in our club implies to me that it isn't a prohibitive issue.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider Alaska.

Very few restrictions outside a few cities.
(note you did not mention weather)
Open roads, little patrolled, no smog, few cops, very open minded people, not only no red light cameras, but only a few red lights outside cities.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without question Florida...
Chicks
No front plate
Winghouse
Year 'round top off.
Women
No emissions
Low taxes
Big *******
Track all year long
Broads
College broads
Spring break

OP
OP
A

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I was thinking Florida would be the best state too, for all of the reasons you mentioned. That was until I looked a few threads down, and I saw this:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/03/379.asp

I'd hate to have to get a lawyer to make sure I don't get a suspended license for a year for "drag racing". It seems like this could happen from trying to merge onto the freeway ahead of another car or something petty like that.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though I’ve been to all 50 states, I’m struggling with this question because there are too many unknowns.

For example:

1 – Do you need to be near the water (ocean)
2 – Are you interested in attracting attention (women)
3 – Do you like driving on curving, mountain roads,
4 – Etc.

One place that should always be considered is central Texas. Cities like San Antonio and Austin are big enough to enjoy city living but all it takes is exiting the interstate and you’re instantly in the middle of nowhere with tons of long, flat roads on which to drive. Cities like San Diego or Miami provide the former but not the latter. In order to “escape” cities like those you have to sit in traffic and then drive thru the “burbs” a good while. We all know that traffic is the Viper’s worst enemy.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Look for the most sun with the least taxes.

NV, FL and TX are good.

NM good if you are going to retire. Not so hot if you will continue to work...taxes too high...but no front plates and low property taxes. AZ good also, no front plates. However, PHX is getting even more crowded, may want to stay away from there. Taxes seem to be going up. 8+% on cars.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without question Florida...
Chicks
No front plate
Winghouse
Year 'round top off.
Women
No emissions
Low taxes
Big *******
Track all year long
Broads
College broads
Spring break
Damn Chuck. You should work for the Florida tourism industry! I'm sold! :2tu:

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Florida would be perfect for half the of year atleast. If you want to play in So Cal it'll cost you but overall you just can't beat it.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget that when you move to Florida, you also will get a pay raise............no state income tax!

Cops here in S. Florida are used to seeing exotic sports cars every day, and unless you are doing something really stupid, they leave you alone. I make the trek from West palm to Ft lauderdale a couple of times a week and set the cruise control (on my truck) at 78 mph in a 65 zone and still get passed like I am standing still.

You will love your car here in the winter, clear blue skies and 78 degrees in January!

I see you are in Michigan, so I would recommend the west coast of Fl. vs. East. Reason being is that there are more midwesterners on the west vs. the east. People are more freindly on the west in my opinion.

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ARIZONA

No front plate.
Understaffed law enforcement (less tickets)
Red State
4 hours from the ocean/gulf (Mexico)
6 hours to San Diego/ocean
6 hours to Vegas
2 hours from skiing (in winter)
1.5 hours from cool air (in summer)
Hot broads
Hot broads with fake *******
Low cost of housing (although starting to skyrocket in last 18 months)
300 days of sun, year round
Summer nites are hot, but nice

and how could we forget,

the best NFL football team ever. Woops. Ok, just kidding on that one.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The so called "racing legislation" in Florida is designed for conspiratorial racing. The problem stems from groups of young kids which have irritated neighborhoods by mass assembly points. I believe all states will have some type of racing legislation soon.

Good roads-no *** holes - several isolated roads near homestead where you can power up.

no State tax - the tourists pay it

No City stickers,or any type of inspection,of course no front plates

DLM- in North Miami can supercharge you car-he knows several places where you can run you SC.

Good driving weather all year around

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Florida, if you don't mind getting swept away in a hurricane.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Florida, if you don't mind getting swept away in a hurricane.

Blah, last year was a fluk. Besides, that was the stretch from Punta Gorda to Orlando. I don't know why anyone would want to live in Orlando. You might say Orlando is the "Ohio" of Florida. Although they probably won't get hit by another hurricane for 100 years.

Tampa hasn't had a direct hit since 1925. A few feeder bands but no direct hit...of course, all that means is we're overdue.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might relocate in the next year or two, and a big consideration of where I move to is which state it would be nicest to own a viper (or any exotic) in. There are a lot of factors, some more important than others.

I’m sure there are others that I can’t think of. Which states do you guys think are the friendliest towards our vipers?

I'd tell you the best state, but then everyone would want to move Arkansas (oops, let the cat out of the bag).

Is a front license plate required? - Nope

How strict is the emissions testing, if required? - Emissions testing, what's that?

What are the speeding and other laws that have to do with driving? - Don't speed on the interstate.... that's what back road are for anyway, thousands of miles of curvy, twisty, hardly see another folk, smooth as glass back roads....

How strictly are they enforced? See above

Are there red light / speed cameras? six stop lights in the entire town, up from two when I moved here 15 years ago, oh, the urban sprall is so awefull here!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd tell you the best state, but then everyone would want to move Arkansas (oops, let the cat out of the bag).

How strict is the emissions testing, if required? - Emissions testing, what's that?

What are the speeding and other laws that have to do with driving? - Don't speed on the interstate.... that's what back road are for anyway, thousands of miles of curvy, twisty, hardly see another folk, smooth as glass back roads....

Are there red light / speed cameras? six stop lights in the entire town, up from two when I moved here 15 years ago, oh, the urban sprall is so awefull here!

Don't forget Paula Jones.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck you fogot another factor for Florida to add to your list.... age of consent -- 16.

Big negative now in Florida is Gov. signed into law that takes effect Oct. 05 that if you are caught street racing, they take your car away for good and put you in jail for 1 year.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are there red light / speed cameras? six stop lights in the entire town, up from two when I moved here 15 years ago, oh, the urban sprall is so aweful here!

Don't forget Paula Jones.

AR is still a great state to own a Viper, even if Paula did not make as much as Monica.

But at least Billary (Bill and Hillary) moved to New York (Our condolences to all you New Yorkers), all ended up $$$$ for Bills last girl friend, and Bill's six cylinder Mustang Convertible is still in a museum rather than ruining the reputation of the Mustang by Bill driving it, so all ends well ;)

P.S. Until Billyboy was elected goofunor in AR, there was no tax on used cars. He used the money from the tax to raise the level of our schools a -2 in national rankings....

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, let's try West Virginia:

lots of country roads and apex's to hit
no smog inspection
no front plate required
radar detectors allowed
VIR, Mid OH and Beaverun nearby

BIG drawback-property taxes!!!! arrrggghhh!

good luck on your search for free roads and lotsa speed