BLACK PAINT ***** !

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I probably have a small case of OCD...but black paint drives me nuts! It seems like im constantly rubb'n and wiping on this thing... Yea, looks good, but damn !

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a black car prior to my Viper. NEVER again! I would wash it, drive it around the block and it'd look as bad as it did before I washed it. I still have the car, but I had it painted 2003 Mazda Sunlight Silver (the silver RX8 shade) back in 2003. Car looks much better and stays clean ALOT better

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine looks pretty damn good compared to most Black cars....it just works me to death! Just when i think its swirl free......the sun comes out and proves me wrong ! LOL

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine looks pretty damn good compared to most Black cars....it just works me to death! Just when i think its swirl free......the sun comes out and proves me wrong ! LOL

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black cars look great when they are clean, but they are alot of work.

I too used to have a black car - a black bandit edition TA - and i said never again. but that car was a daily driver which made it even worse.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they look great in a show room when there's a porter to dust the thing 4 times a day. i would not own a black car unless someone gave it to me, and i was allowed to sell it. they look beautiful when they are clean. it's just that after you finish cleaning them you need to start right over again.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once you go black you never go back. Until you have to keep it clean!! I love the color! I have owned a lot of black cars I just have to get a different color until I forget and then go back.

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Denali thats a carbon fiber color (not quite black) ...its amazing how just a shade off can make the cleaning so much easier ! Its very easy to keep..

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John,

You should check out Meguiar's online http://www.meguiarsonline.com/ they have a ton of useful information on how to take care of your car's paint.

When detailing your car you need to use different lights to ensure that all of the swirls are gone, you may not be able to see them in the garage, but then the sun (our best and sometimes worst friend) shows us the mistakes we have made.

crayne hurst

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 4 vipers all black,still have 2.Just got a ford GT
2 weeks ago.The vipers are easy conpared to GT to keep
clean!the vipers dont have the vents and air ducts to deal
with.a real bic.... to get dry after wash.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am just like you. The swirls drive me insaine. It seems like nothing you do can get rid of them. I have tried so many different products and buffers and still no end. I wish a repaint did not cost $10K or I would have already done it.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may not be the best solution for everyone and even more than a little ostentatious but I love my black Viper and would rather drive it than clean it. Every week a mobile detailer charges me $20.00 to wash it and details it every 6 months. None of the black cars have any swirls that I used to put on my cars by experimenting and using the wrong products or cloths. If I have a special occasion, he goes out of his way to make sure the car is ready. He carries his own water and takes a lot of pride in his work. He has appointments at businesses and residences and is quite in demand. I have had the same fellow now for 6 years and had to go through 3-4 before I found him. Lazy, expensive; maybe? I don't spend any money on car care products and my black and other cars always look great, until they get dirty. So for $1040 per year it's worth it for me. Otherwise, black is a pain in the a$$.
Larry

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU!!!!!!!

My last three cars were black, and every time I swear it's the last. I had a 1998 Saleen Mustang convertible that I was the original owner on from 12 miles. It was black and had swirl marks, rock chips and acid rain spots after 6 years. At about 30,000 miles I took it in to get the bumper touched up and told the guy to buff the whole thing out. He told me that he had a guy that would buff it out and Zaino treat it. I had previously bought and applied Zaino products, but applied them myself by hand. He charged me $350 for the treatment and let me tell you, IT WAS AMAZING. My car didn't have one swirl mark, scratch or anything even in direct sunlight. It also felt like the finish was thicker and one year after it was treated IT STILL DID NOT SWIRL MARK. I actually thought about keeping it because it looked brand new. I didn't of course, because I got my dream car.

So now I have a black 2003 SRT that I bought a year ago with 3600 miles and I already have swirl marks out the ass and slight acid rain spots (from the previous owner). I am going to take it to the same guy here in Charlotte, NC and have the same thing done to it. His estimate was around $450 (Viper tax).

Swear to God, my Saleen looked better with six years of driving and then the treatment than it did coming off of the showroom floor, no lie. Do not buy the Zaino stuff online because it doesn't work the same if you apply it by hand. Further, you can't get a nice finish until the swirl marks have been buffed out BY A PROFESSIONAL. You will be thrilled with the results if you find someone who knows what they're doing. I was also surprsed at how big a scratch could be removed by buffing.

I will post some before and after pictures after I get mine done, but it probably won't be for about a month or two. Hope this helps.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black is mean and sinister looking and no other color has the reflection that a well prepared Black does. It is not that big a deal to get looking and (keep looking) great. A little time and knowing WTH your doing, helps. :)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

:usa:

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
D.K. Show off :D

Damn I couldn't help it Yo Pres :crazy: .......None of these guy's know how to prep and maintain a tight black finish. If they did they wouldn't be so negative :D

My new stuff will be here Tues :D :buttkick:

Damn that's fast, no grass growing under your feet dude.

I ordered my 800lb springs from Hyperco. Should be here in a week. Then my wife and daughter won't have to wear their sports bra's every time they take a ride in Blade.
:usa:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a black 2000 gts, sucked to keep clean, that's one of the main reason for selling and buying a 06 blue s/s. I just bought a 06 black metallic magnum srt8. With the metallic flake in the paint, the car lookes clean even when its dirty.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a cool picture. dont get me wrong i like them a lot just not for me. kind of like the best kind of dog for, in my case(or both cases black cars and dogs) it's someone elses.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It always seems like an East Coast vs. West Coast thing. East Coast is constantly washing....West Coast....no big deal. Great detailing D.K.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally broke down and did the clay bar thing with detailer spray, then Porter Wagner with 3m swirl remover and the 3m polish. Looked great but too much #$% work. I just drive it now, screw keeping it "immaculate" I'll drive it all week and then dust it on the weekend or if I'm feeling spunky wash with Mr. Clean and hit with meguires detail spray.

I'd rather be driving than polshing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang