Brake dust problems

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and need advise on brake dust issues. I understand there is no way to totally eliminate the dust, but have seen ads for "low dust" brake pads. Do these pads, like "Red Stuff" pads really help?
Thanks,
Bill
2009 Snakeskin Coupe

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with "Red Stuff". I use Hawk HPS pads and they have been great...minimal dust. You can also use their ceramic pads if you do not track. Hawk makes great quality pads.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, what was the bad experience?

Did you use the HPS pads on your Gen II, Gen IV or both? Did you turn the rotors before installing the pads? Thanks.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the 'low dust' pads will create less dust, but they will also not have as much stopping power. Everything is a compromise. If you want killer brakes, then they will sqeak and dust. If you want quiet and low dust, then you will not be able to stop. :rolaugh:

Reaction score
In my experience if you try and go with a low dust pad your braking efficiency will diminish to some degree. Brakes are a wear item and if there are no signs of "wearing" then they are probably not working as well as they should. I have always advocated using a secondary California duster for the wheels after they have cooled. if you hit them every time you drive or every few times the wheels will stay fresh looking as long as you want to wait between washes. Just don't ever share a duster for both body and wheels.

Side note, brake dust is very corrosive to paint and wheel finishes so it is better to remove it earlier then later. You have another choice, the Carbotech brand of brake pads work extremely well and are the ONLY pad available that creates NON corrosive dust so they are a great addition to not only stop your very well, but protect the finishes of your car. FWIW.

F

FrgMstr

I have the Red Stuff pads with StopTech rotors, and both have performed admirably, both on the street and after many heats at the track.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got reds on the front of mine, yes you do get dust, but a quick wipe when you get home normally cures it :)

The other way to reduce dust is not use your brakes so much and drive SLOWER ............ :D

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, what was the bad experience?

Did you use the HPS pads on your Gen II, Gen IV or both? Did you turn the rotors before installing the pads? Thanks.

My bad experience may have been unique, but I heard there was a "bad batch" of "red" pads around the time I bought my "reds" a few years ago. They squeaked and dusted like mad....same or worse dusting than the stock pads. I let them go for about 500 miles before I had enough and replaced them with the Hawks. I'm convinced they were part of the bad batch. They're probably fine pads, but I just wouldn't buy them again because of that experience and I'm really happy with the Hawks.

I'm actually running EBC Greens on my 01 GTS back when the "greens" used to be their low dust pad. They are "okay". I have Hawk HPS on the RT10. I had the ceramics on the Gen IV, but I don't track so they were fine for me....barely any dust at all. The Hawk HPS pads are a good compromise for stopping / dust if you track occasionally.

I think Jeremy is running a pad he really likes that barely dusts. He picked them up at Advanced Auto Parts....can't remember the brand though.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks Brian. Jeremy is running the house brand pads from Advanced. I think it was all of $20 per caliper or something like that.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake pads with a carbon/metallic content will stop better but they will create a lot of dust and eat your rotors. Fiber-based pads made from kevlar or other such materials produce very little dust but you tend to lose that initial bite and give up overall stopping power. The best option right now seems to be carbon/ceramic (or full ceramic) pads that have similar stopping characteristics to the metallic pads but less than 1/2 the dust, less noise and less rotor wear. You can cut down on squeaks by lubing the back of the brake pads when you install them.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the Carbotech pads for a while now and and VERY happy with the stopping power and heat resistance...BUT..the amount of noise and BRAKE DUST is UNBELIEVABLE......AMAZING amount of dust. The noise doesnt bother me ...but they sure are dusty!!! ..dont think that the OP will be happy with these....

In my experience if you try and go with a low dust pad your braking efficiency will diminish to some degree. Brakes are a wear item and if there are no signs of "wearing" then they are probably not working as well as they should. I have always advocated using a secondary California duster for the wheels after they have cooled. if you hit them every time you drive or every few times the wheels will stay fresh looking as long as you want to wait between washes. Just don't ever share a duster for both body and wheels.

Side note, brake dust is very corrosive to paint and wheel finishes so it is better to remove it earlier then later. You have another choice, the Carbotech brand of brake pads work extremely well and are the ONLY pad available that creates NON corrosive dust so they are a great addition to not only stop your very well, but protect the finishes of your car. FWIW.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and need advise on brake dust issues. I understand there is no way to totally eliminate the dust, but have seen ads for "low dust" brake pads. Do these pads, like "Red Stuff" pads really help?
Thanks,
Bill
2009 Snakeskin Coupe

I use only EKG brake pads because of that very reason....I have had almost NO brake dust on my rims with these pads...I always bought the green pads but now I think EKG has replaced them with their red pad.....always worked on my VIPERS.......I mean EBC pads....sorry....

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use only EKG brake pads because of that very reason....I have had almost NO brake dust on my rims with these pads...I always bought the green pads but now I think EKG has replaced them with their red pad.....always worked on my VIPERS.......
EBC ? ( I tried EBC Reds on an S2000 and they still dust noticeably. The formulation might vary per application, to compensate for car weight/HP. People have reported the EBC reds as very low dusting on a Viper )

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original EBC green pads were good for reducing dust compared with stock pads. They changed the formula and they are not as good. EBC reds today are frequently compared to the old greens but dust more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper