Branded Title and Titleing issues

rch105

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my Copperhead out of NC with a FL title. Title has been branded as a Mfgr. Buy Back. Reason presently unknown. Car was originally sold from a FL dealer, then went to NJ at Mfgr. auction to KT. From KT back to FL again. Private individual sold to a small car lot dealer and I bought it from him.
AAA in PA is telling me it might be a flood car (it is not!), and it needs to get a PA Enhanced Safety Inspection bc of the out of state branding and a letter from Dodge stating the reason for buy back and what steps were taken to remedy the issue(s) before the title can be accepted and processed. Enhanced inspection is fine with me, but why a letter when I am the 4th owner? Anyone have a similar situation? I'm curious to know the end result.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be the process in PA, or AAA is overreaching?

Reach out to a dealer, (Bill @ Woodhouse?) they can look up the vin and warranty history and tell you why (in detail) it was a "lemon-law" buy back. Car Fax will have brief description on the buy-back reason. Dodge/Chrysler repairs (via a dealer) after buy-back and before the auction sale.

Not that it matters to me but, did you know it was a lemon-law buy-back when you bought it? You didn't run a car-fax or auto-check before you bought it?

OP
OP
rch105

rch105

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Initially, March 15th, I contacted Dodge Customer Care. Spoke to the rep (Darryl) and he said he was unable to help me as I was not their listed owner. Said he would send me an email link to show I bought the car (Bill of Sale). I never received it. I did go to a local dealer but because Corporate didn't have the owner change they would only give the build info. Last week, I called Dodge again and somehow got routed to the SRT group. Von was most helpful and became my Case Manager. He said he has to request the info (Am I being stalled?) and will get back to me. When I told him I needed a letter he seemed to recoil like I was going to sue them. I tried to explain that I was told I needed that to satisfy the PA Lemon Law. Personally, i don't see the need. I am not the first owner after it went to the mfgr. auction. Yes, I did do a history check (Auto Check) and I felt it was a non issue as it isn't a flood car. I also checked NICB which confirmed it wasn't salvaged or theft recovery. I will go tomorrow to a different local dealer and request all what you suggested. Anthing I left out? And Thanks!!!!!

As an added note, Von sent me the link. I scanned and sent the Bill of Sale and that issue is now resolved... I am now the listed owner.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out! Keep all that info for when you go to sell your viper down the road.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Title Processing and Roadworthyness are two different things
in the DMV. A title only proves ownership, there are thousands
of non-road legal cars out there whose titles get passed all the
time.

Since you want to tag yours, the car needs to be inspected by
ATU - this is a standard procedure in 47 states for ANY branded
title, its not personal. ATU has no interest in the documents
(persey) but they want to be sure the car is safe to drive on the
roads and the parts on it were not taken from a stolen vehicle.
Its a pretty straight forward procedure... if you have all your
paperwork. I personally like dealing with ATU more than I do
the inspection techs at my DMV.

james32xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Initially, March 15th, I contacted Dodge Customer Care. Spoke to the rep (Darryl) and he said he was unable to help me as I was not their listed owner. Said he would send me an email link to show I bought the car (Bill of Sale). I never received it. I did go to a local dealer but because Corporate didn't have the owner change they would only give the build info. Last week, I called Dodge again and somehow got routed to the SRT group. Von was most helpful and became my Case Manager. He said he has to request the info (Am I being stalled?) and will get back to me. When I told him I needed a letter he seemed to recoil like I was going to sue them. I tried to explain that I was told I needed that to satisfy the PA Lemon Law. Personally, i don't see the need. I am not the first owner after it went to the mfgr. auction. Yes, I did do a history check (Auto Check) and I felt it was a non issue as it isn't a flood car. I also checked NICB which confirmed it wasn't salvaged or theft recovery. I will go tomorrow to a different local dealer and request all what you suggested. Anthing I left out? And Thanks!!!!!

As an added note, Von sent me the link. I scanned and sent the Bill of Sale and that issue is now resolved... I am now the listed owner.
You can also check your VIN with other services like epicvin, they usually show what other vin check services don't. They also sometimes have pictures of the vehicle previous sales, this one can help