Broke My Half Shaft - What Are My Options?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I took the Viper down the strip at the V10 Nationals last weekend in Columbus and broke my drivers side half shaft.:(:rolleyes:

Now I need to replace it. What options do I have? I think I will get a factory piece so I have it for safe keeping, but what options do I have for aftermarket? What brands? What price ranges? How beefy do I need to go?

Also, if I replace the factory units, what is the next "weak link" in my driveline that I could break?:dunno:

Thanks!

Robert

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Boy,
Most people go with Unitrax half shafts, which i believe are rated for at least 800hp. That should cover you.
PAvenom RT/10

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change your driveshaft U-joints as well. Make sure you get the same U-joints and not some off brand junk. Unitrax should be able to hook you up. Additionally make sure you replace the straps as well as the bolts at all the U-joint locations. Otherwise you should be fine.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I took the Viper down the strip at the V10 Nationals last weekend in Columbus and broke my drivers side half shaft.:(:rolleyes:

Now I need to replace it. What options do I have? I think I will get a factory piece so I have it for safe keeping, but what options do I have for aftermarket? What brands? ert

ROBERT: PartsRack can provide you take-off shafts at the low-end; Like new in fact. UNITRAX shafts at a deep-discount, 800hp or 1000 HP varieties.
As CAMFAB correctly states, we include new U-joints, new straps and bolts to hang em. A MUST. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Here are the pics of my trophy:omg::rolleyes:!

IMGA0644.JPG

IMGA0641.JPG

Also, I have heard rumors that the half shaft was designed to be the weak link. If they are beefed up, then the trans will be the next think in line that would break. Is this true?

Robert

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago i used to race my Gen 2 with a guy named Don Nace (Professional drag racer pro truck series )Don had a worked Gen 2 Ran mid 10s Na with Slicks Skinnys ect Unitrax Big shafts.I cant tell you how many trannys he broke (half shafts held though )Granted he had alot more traction from the slicks .Just be careful.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I have heard rumors that the half shaft was designed to be the weak link. If they are beefed up, then the trans will be the next think in line that would break. Is this true?

You should mod until your wallet becomes the weak link.

Because, there is always a weak link, and your wallet usually doesn't leave you stranded or on the hook.

:cool:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem could also be contributed to your car being an ACR, stiff rear springs doesn't allow it to squat aligning the shafts horizontally or absorb some of the launch load, and less lift from the front depending on your damper settings.. The ACR damper & spring rate is not an ideal setup for the dragstrip.

If you plan on more drag racing, hit JonB up for some halfshafts, and consider changing your dampers or getting them internally adjusted with lighter springs. The external adjustments are limited, typically a 30% change in spring rate requires the dampers to be adjusted internally.

At the time I read your 1/4 post.. I said to myself.. I bet he's going to break his halfshafts.. hindsight.. I should have replied with a comment, but not many read my crap most of the time anyway..

If you want to tinker this winter regarding dampers and springs.. I know of a place in Ontario that may be able to help you out..

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on more drag racing, hit JonB up for some halfshafts, and consider changing your dampers or getting them internally adjusted with lighter springs. The external adjustments are limited, typically a 30% change in spring rate requires the dampers to be adjusted internally.

At the time I read your 1/4 post.. I said to myself.. I bet he's going to break his halfshafts.. hindsight.. I should have replied with a comment, but not many read my crap most of the time anyway..

If you want to tinker this winter regarding dampers and springs.. I know of a place in Ontario that may be able to help you out..

I ALWAYS read your posts and study them for wisdom! :rolleyes: Oh well, I guess I have now learnt something new about Vipers...:irony:

As for drag racing, I do not intend to do it often. If there is a car show at a 1/4 strip, then it might be a little to tempting for me:dance::lame: In other words I am not going to go looking for them.

Robert

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My years of listening to the "skilled" drivers on the track, the half shafts help to protect the tranny, which would really be a big ticket item.....I think of the half shafts like "shear pins" on a lot of boat motors, the shear pin breaks if you hit something or someone in the water and doesn't allow the inertia force to go up the driveline on the boat motor and do more damage....just my $.02

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My years of listening to the "skilled" drivers on the track, the half shafts help to protect the tranny, which would really be a big ticket item.....I think of the half shafts like "shear pins" on a lot of boat motors, the shear pin breaks if you hit something or someone in the water and doesn't allow the inertia force to go up the driveline on the boat motor and do more damage....just my $.02

Exactly .Seen it many times .Power goes up the drivetrain to the weakest link-rear end gears or tranny.Kind of opens up pandoras box which can be alot more expensive than breaking a set of shafts at the track.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember Vipers are independ rear cars designed to roadrace not dragrace.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a sest of Untrax half shafts and drive shaft in my 2000 GTS. I have been thinking of putting in the stock ones since I'm never going to add power addes pluse I think it will cut down a few lbs.

Make me more motivated to remove them perhaps?

Carl

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither Naces tranny or mine on my Modded 96 went all at once (Dons went in approx 8000 miles mine went in 12000.00 (same power out -he ran slicks )so the halfshafts basically speeded up the wear cycle.As far as rear end gears mine were fine ,he on the other hand EXPLODED more than one set.Holeshots with MT Slicks can create total devistation.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run slicks and my 60's are low 1.4's - Never had to worry about these

I use the lightweight ones that are the better of the two from Unitrax

Here's a pic for comparison

You must be registered for see images

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Don N and his set up he could go to the track over a few month period and make 40 runs nothing would happen.Then the third month 2 rear ends wo and a tranny would virtually explode.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ALWAYS read your posts and study them for wisdom! :rolleyes: Oh well, I guess I have now learnt something new about Vipers...:irony:

As for drag racing, I do not intend to do it often. If there is a car show at a 1/4 strip, then it might be a little to tempting for me:dance::lame: In other words I am not going to go looking for them.

Robert

I hope you didn't read my reply the wrong way, I was just taking a jab at myself with slight humour.. I need to use emoticons more often.. if you're looking for wisdom, crap.. steer clear of my replies.. our resident Wizard is the man for that.

I forgot to say... that *****! I hate when stuff breaks.. especially in front of a crowd.. :omg:

Mike
You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also just bought some lightweight 1000hp Unitrax rear shafts. I didn't break my 800hp shafts but I did twist one and that causes bindind since it can't collapse properly on hard bumps. About every 5,000mi I need to repalce a Ujoint.

I run a stock clutch as my 'weak link'. The little bit of slippage that the stock clutch allows saves everything. I've got over 22,000mi on my halfshafts, trans and diff. The lightweight halfshafts are cost prohibitive, but they weigh about 1# lighter than stock. 800hp shafts are probably cheaper than buying stock shafts. Dana/spicer shafts are smaller and probably lighter than stock as well.

I also recomend Unitrax loops for the half shafts. Broken driveshaft could take out your wheel, shock, A arms etc. Safety loops are cheap insurance.

Ted

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of HP and tire setup are you running? From you signature you don't show serious engine mods or slicks or drag radials. I would think a broken half shaft would be pretty rare with a fairly stock engine and street tires. What kind of times were you running before the break?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What kind of HP and tire setup are you running? From you signature you don't show serious engine mods or slicks or drag radials. I would think a broken half shaft would be pretty rare with a fairly stock engine and street tires. What kind of times were you running before the break?

His sig shows 720 RWHP !! Ive been in that car a lot of scary-fast laps.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted has serious mods!:D

Me, it was the first time on a strip with that car and I had wheel hop. Also my tires were VERY hard (6 years old):( I was not aware of what could happen until I felt a big clunk....:rolleyes: Motor is stock, just the 3.73s.

Robert

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73s surely multiply the torque out of the hole.

It is more often than not, with relatively stock Vipers, that wheel hop breaks more 1/2 shafts than hp.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing a halfshaft - 1hr and $100.
Changing a clutch - 1 day and $300.
Changing a tranny - $$$

I'll stick with the stock halfshafts. But that's me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960