Broke the Driver's side Half shaft today...

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
....I guess it could have been worse. I was accelerating full throttle in 2nd gear when it let go. I didn't even shift hard. My car is stock besides air intake and exhaust. Pushed the car a half mile to my house. Question is now, what should I replace it with? Should i go with stock or upgraded. I broke it dead in the middle. Any input is appreciated.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have always been worried about one of the half shafts breaking loose. So I completed this halfshaft loop project last year for my Gen I. I modified JEGS universal drive shaft loops ($25 X 2) fab work / welding / bolts = total cost $100
Overkill.....maybe. Peace of mind....DEFINITELY! You may want to check your brake and fuel lines on the drivers side for possible damage. Glad you and the car are OK.​

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My guess is that it isn't that last run that really killed your halfshaft. Most of the damage probably happened during some wheel-hop on a previous occasion. I was under my car and noticed some serious twisting of the large tube of my halfshaft. I think that is where they are weakest. I have continued to use stock half-shafts (replaced the twisted halfshaft). If money were no object, i'd probably upgrade to Unitrax shafts. However, I've seen those break too. I did put safety loops on my halfshafts. If you don't have the welding skills of RT/ED, Unitrax sells nice halfshaft loops that are very easy to install.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! I thrash on my car pretty hard, blew up the diff. once, axles seem ok though......I think I'm gonna mellow out some, as I don't like to walk.:mad:

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the car. I dont have any opinion to offer, but I hope she's back on the road soon and better than ever.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNITREX.....well worth the money....will always be better then the stock half shafts...that one that broke was already getting weak from previous passes.....replace both sides.....:2tu: :drive:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. Welcome to the broken half shaft club. Lovely feeling when it goes eh? Heart kinda sinks.....

I found that my tires were a big part of my issue. I did in the driver haft back in 09, replaced with another stock one and also got new tires. I have been ok since....

And as mentioned above, think back to some wheel hop. Likely where is started....

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like the jegs loops you modified, I will put a order in for some now...what else can be done to reduce wheel hop? I have installed woodhouse engine and transmission mounts

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have always been worried about one of the half shafts breaking loose. So I completed this halfshaft loop project last year for my Gen I. I modified JEGS universal drive shaft loops ($25 X 2) fab work / welding / bolts = total cost $100
Overkill.....maybe. Peace of mind....DEFINITELY! You may want to check your brake and fuel lines on the drivers side for possible damage. Glad you and the car are OK.​

The loops are great to have on a Gen I, but on a Gen II the shock forks will keep the half-shaft in place for the most part. I have gone thru 5 or 6 halfshafts including some Unitrax(drag racing :D ). That being said, the loop is cheap insurance, especially if only $100. :2tu:

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what Unitrax told me when I brought my car in the 2002's have the best halfshafts of all the years. Those are the one you should get

OP
OP
I

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are there any other options besides Unitrax? I was going to possibly get their 300M shafts, but they have been discontinued. I just didn't want to put heavier shafts in if I could avoid it.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The UNITREX half shafts are marked,,,,,,left right....:headbang:

They are marked left or right because after you put a fair amount of torque to them, you would not want to reverse the direction(like putting them on the opposite side). They are interchangeable.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock 1/2 shafts are pretty strong, but wheel hop, or installing stickier tires can put them over the edge.

This might be a good time to suggest people take a moment up on a rack to check for loose bolts or fanteners.

We tend to flog these cars pretty hard, so a little preventative maintenance can go a long way.

Some Vipers have not been gone over in over 10 years. Have your Viper Tech give it a safety/maintenance look next oil change.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For information sake, the Unitrax half-shafts are usually in a back-order situation. I just bought a set, it took six weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang