Building new garage - Need advice

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripping frames off today, backfill later this week.
In the forms you can see the 2" of foam placed against the inner wall.
That goes down to floor level.
The floor will sit on that 2" cutout around the whole perimeter instead of just butting to the walls. With 8" walls that leaves 6" for the 2 x 6" sill plate.

You must be registered for see images attach

One of my biggest concerns about the build was storing my cars off site God knows where, and thanks to my neighbors
that worked out terrific. Renting out garage $100 a week. Having my cars right next door....priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's a good neighbor :2tu: When I built my garage, due to the shape I did not have a high apex roof but a pitched roof, so I built a inspection pit, its not the full length of the car but its great for doing oil changes and dropping gearboxes etc.. I also ran a piece of plastic tubing into the pit which I could push a power cable through and have a power socket. :2tu:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, thats gonna be a sick garage... That is a huge area. Almost makes your ACR look small, LOL.. best of luck.. I know the red tape is painful. But there will be no words for your excitement, the day you say goodbye to the contractors, and she's all yours.. congrats, man...

Ps- I was wondering where you were keeping them, during construction. that worked out great..!!!!

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forms stripped backfill Thursday.
Framing next week...:2tu:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats great you still have kept the small tool shed. I keep the lawn and yard shed seperate from my garage as well. That way, I don't stress when the wife or kids have to grab a rake or wheelbarrow. Keeping that stuff in a seperate shed means they don't have to walk by the cars with it.;)

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats great you still have kept the small tool shed. I keep the lawn and yard shed seperate from my garage as well. That way, I don't stress when the wife or kids have to grab a rake or wheelbarrow. Keeping that stuff in a seperate shed means they don't have to walk by the cars with it.;)

EXACTLY!
Nothing non car related is going to be hanging off the walls in this garage..LOL...
Unfortunatly the shed is going to have to be repositioned farther up in the yard, it's only about 6 feet behind the garage now.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So finally the framing began yesterday!
Crew of eight guys showed up and went to town.

By the end of the day most of the framing completed and some sheathing.
It dwarfs the old garage.

Massive 5 x 16" ridge beam to support roof with no columns:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So finally the framing began yesterday!
Crew of eight guys showed up and went to town.

By the end of the day most of the framing completed and some sheathing.
It dwarfs the old garage.

Massive 5 x 16" ridge beam to support roof with no columns:

'Stick built' with no trusses. I like it. Don't see that too much anymore. :)

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL....I am happy to report that after 7 months, a ton of issues small and large and some three weeks of additional bad weather delays today is MOVING BACK IN DAY! Still have to sheetrock the inside and paint as well as redo the driveway BUT I am finally out of my neighbors garage and in my own again. With a 15 foot open ceiling the cars look lost in it. Lots of room around each car even with all four doors open. This is 750 sq feet the biggest allowed without a variance. VERY happy I went 28 feet wide and 26 deep as there is plenty of room in every direction and I was just guessing what would work. I have 10' x 8' doors with side mounted openers so it is really airy and cavernous looking, I'll post up the finishes product this spring. having no overhanging door openers is great.

Undecided between polishing the concrete or Racedeck, pro's and cons of each. But thats in the spring going to let it set up for a few months. Still have exterior lanterns on order not in yet. I put a lot of floursecent lighting in 36 T8 bulbs and may do even more on the sides.

I tell you it's GOOD to be home again...

This:

Is now this:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the outside look. You have a ton of room.

I don't see headers over the door or window. Please post more photos of the doors and windows from the inside.
Thanks

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update ViperJon.
I love these threads about garages. Looks great.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jon. That does look spacious. An exciting day for sure. Did you run water?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks fantastic and glad you made it as large as possible. As far as flooring goes I would recommend the acrylic coatings that are about an 1/8 of an inch thick and resist staining and are easy to maintain over tiles which trap debris.

Bruce

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the outside look. You have a ton of room.

I don't see headers over the door or window. Please post more photos of the doors and windows from the inside.
Thanks

LOL don't worry they are there. The walls are 2 x 6" so they are just recessed in a little and there is some thin insulation in front of them.. They are doubled up 2 x 10" with metal strapping tying the jack studs to the headers. In fact the inspector insisted on the metal strapping around the doors and windows.

Pretty sure I wouldn't have got the framing inspection without them. :)
The front has two "Simpson Strong Walls" to add even more reinforcement.

Last edited by a moderator:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
outstanding Jon. Looks awesome.. the 97 looks like it rolled off the assembly line, the same time as the ACR. Amazing !!!

I could sit back in that red chair with a couple brews, and just stare/fuss around for hours.... Enjoy!!!

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys-
Having it sheetrocked beginning of next week but no tape or painting till the warmer weather.
Going to price having the concrete polished as my top choice for the floor, we had extra stone aggregate added to the mix for the reason.
If that is too pricey may use RaceDeck.
Can do the floor for about $1800.00 with RaceDeck and of course make it very decorative looking but I'm not completely sold on the modular floor stuff.

I must say in my short time being out there the concrete is HARD and COLD so having some sort of flooring to separate my knees from the concrete is becoming more attractive.
I used to buy some cheapo carpeting from HD and park on it and it made it much nicer for working on the cars in the old garage.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great, 7months??? thats a long time for a garage build, ive seen Ty build a house in a hour tv episode...lol :)

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's a slow day as we await Hurricane Irene to hit. :omg:.. I thought I would update this thread I started last year about the new garage.
Everything is done except for the floors and baseboard.
Still undecided what to do there so before I make an expensive mistake I am going to leave them as is for now and do something in the fall or winter.
So for fun, here is the build to date.

New addition added: :D

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the idea of a dark stain and a base board that is a little lighter than the stain, if the base board is a very light color it will show dirt to easily.....i hope someday I will have as nice of a garage

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice Jon...

Looks like you could have easily done 3 bays or even 4. What are the dimensions and door sizes ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss