Burnout Poll- 1st Gear Only?

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When warming up the tires (or keeping people from getting too close at lights, j.k.) how many people roll their foot on the brake and gas at the same time for a burnout. They are so close together in the SRT or do you just stay in first and side step the clutch directly to the brake?

Is installing a line lock worth it on a 95% street driven car?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When warming up the tires (or keeping people from getting too close at lights, j.k.) how many people roll their foot on the brake and gas at the same time for a burnout. They are so close together in the SRT or do you just stay in first and side step the clutch directly to the brake?

Is installing a line lock worth it on a 95% street driven car?

"Keeping people from getting too close at lights"??? I'd guess that every half decent smkeoy burnout costs about $60 for tires. Line lock or brake stand of any length of time - more. Warming tires is normally for pics or racing. Although it's not to difficult to race a stock Viper on the street a modified Viper is dangerous to try racing on the street and if you read enough threads you'll see that street racing seems to crash a lot of cars. Not recommended.

That being said, I have 2 supercharged GTSs and since I don't drag race at a track I have NO line lock. If I raced my cars, I'd have line lock. Since your post says SRT that is a vert? Not allowed to go faster than 13.0 ET at the drag strip without installing a rollbar. 11.5ET for a coupe/GTS.

To warm the tires it's best to allow the 5" of roll and lift your foot from the clutch directly onto the brake pedal. This allows more control since you're using two feet and may prevent an accident.

Ted

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drop the clutch and move left foot quickly over to the break. Works ok for me, but I'm sure the line lock is better.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What RPM do you hold and first or second gear?

I do it by feel really. Don't even look at the rpms, but I would say 3500 4000 rpm. I can do huge smokey burn outs in my Ford GT or Viper. Back in the day I could then shift to 2nd and burn out a little more:D:D Hold 1st then 2nd