Buying a Gen IV

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm buying a Gen IV vert, but am concerned about whether I'll fit in there...I'm 6'2" @220 lbs. I'm concerned about height and my head touching the roof. I fit in my '08 Z06 easily - no height issues at all there. Anyone know if I'll have an issue fitting in there?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will fit with no problem. Good chouce for a ride too. Tell us about the bike.

Bruce

OP
OP
F

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually - I sold all of my Busa's and am on my 2nd ZX14, which is stretched and had some mild work done on it, as if 198 HP wasn't enough...LOL. Though it's sick fast and not much can catch it, but my ride of choice is my Concours 14, which has seen the Tail of the Dragon more than once and easily keeps up with most super sport bikes in terms of handling - and beats the 600's in acceleration as well. Now - on to the Viper...how tall are you? I've been reading about height issues for taller drivers, but haven't really seen anything too conclusive. I have also read that you can get a seat lowering kit...but not sure what's out there for a Gen IV...I don't want something like that getting in the way of me acquiring a Viper...it's been something I've dreamed about for the past 17 years. I'd really be upset if it didn't fit me, or if I was looking at the window frame, instead of through the glass. :(

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6 ft and 210, but I have a coupe. YOu can only fit the 1 inch lowering kit in a gen4 Viper all others can have the 2 inch drop.

Bruce

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the one inch kit in my '09 and it is a coupe. There is more room in the coupe to begin with. I am 6'3". It becomes more of a view out the windshield than head room in the coupe. I have head room with the one inch kit but am still looking out the windshield a bit too high.

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6 ft and 210, but I have a coupe. YOu can only fit the 1 inch lowering kit in a gen4 Viper all others can have the 2 inch drop.

Bruce

I just installed a 2 inch kit in my 08 without any issues, just need to relocate the module from under the seat to the rear bulkhead. I am VERY happy with the result.

As for fitting it really matters how long you are from the waist up, I'm only 6 ft, but must be a little longer from the waist up then others, because I had some issues seeing out the front properly.

Best suggestion is to go sit in one.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'2" here but only 175lbs...you'll fit fine.

And even though I ride a Super Blackbird I used to have a couple Vetts so you are ok in my book!

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 6'5" and had the 1" drop kit installed in my Coupe. Fit now with no problem even with a helmet. The Convert doesn't have quite the headroom the Coupe does top up. With the 1" drop kit the seat can still be adjusted forward and aft, with the 2" its bolted directly to the floor. As the earlier poster indicated you will need to deal with the air bag module located under the seat if you decide to go with the 1" kit.

OP
OP
F

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! So if I understand correctly, I could use a 2" drop kit on the '08 Vert and the seat would be bolted directly to the floor - I just have to relocate the module. (easy fix I'm sure)

Now, if the seat's in a fixed position with the 2" drop kit; will it be all the way back to the end of its travel? I just sense I'm gonna have some height issues from what I'm seeing here...but really want that Vert. I'm not realy concerned about the rest of the comfort zone, as I realize it's not the ideal daily driver and it won't be a DD for me anyway, but if I can get the right vision without having to tilt my head down to the side, that's all I'd need to be able to do to be "comfortable" in the Viper. Any other issues, I'm sure I can deal with.

@ViperBob - thanks...LOL. I'm not a brand loyal fanboy and although I love my Z06, I always wanted a convertible - and I always wanted a Viper...and now that I have a monster coupe, and want a Vert, what better choice than a Viper? It's hard to step down to something less of a monster when I have the Z06, so I guess adding a Viper is the only logical choice for me...and BTW, BlackBirds are very cool machines! Always loved them - Honda should never have stopped making them.

Last edited:

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! So if I understand correctly, I could use a 2" drop kit on the '08 Vert and the seat would be bolted directly to the floor - I just have to relocate the module. (easy fix I'm sure)

Now, if the seat's in a fixed position with the 2" drop kit; will it be all the way back to the end of its travel? I just sense I'm gonna have some height issues from what I'm seeing here...but really want that Vert. I'm not realy concerned about the rest of the comfort zone, as I realize it's not the ideal daily driver and it won't be a DD for me anyway, but if I can get the right vision without having to tilt my head down to the side, that's all I'd need to be able to do to be "comfortable" in the Viper. Any other issues, I'm sure I can deal with.

@ViperBob - thanks...LOL. I'm not a brand loyal fanboy and although I love my Z06, I always wanted a convertible - and I always wanted a Viper...and now that I have a monster coupe, and want a Vert, what better choice than a Viper? It's hard to step down to something less of a monster when I have the Z06, so I guess adding a Viper is the only logical choice for me...and BTW, BlackBirds are very cool machines! Always loved them - Honda should never have stopped making them.

I had the 2" lowering kit in a '05 Vert. I had in the past and loved it - great being lower and where it should be...every Viper I have had seemed to have the seats too high. And you can fix the position where you want it and you can adjust everything else so you are comfortable - no need to relocate the under seat module IMO.

Yeah, the Super Blackbird was never a big hit here in the US and they even stopped selling it overseas in 2007. But Honda is coming out with a new hyper liter bike next year so we'll see what it turns out to be. I like the Busas as well and the ZX-14s are another nice hyper bike...I possibly see one of those in my future at some point and like you, I am not a "brand' person - I buy what I like!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2'' 215lb and feel the viper seats are to high. I always feel like I'm going to run through a light because I'm sitting so high.

Put in the 1'' adjustable lowering for the drivers seat and it's much more comfortable. I put them in both my Vipers.

ViperVeryOrange

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and 245lbs. I have an '08 coupe and I fit in it just fine for as much as I drive it. I do not fit in the early Vipers at all and it wasn't until I sat in a newer one that I discovered there was more room. It was then that I began my search and finally got my Viper.

Eric

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6'4" and 220, my problem is the seats are not wide enough for my shoulders....guess I should have not lifted for 20+ years. But you know what, still get little girl giggly when I drive my 08 coupe. *****.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and 230. For me it's not the size issue. At 69 yoa I just don't flex at the joints like I used to. A little effort to get in and out but well worth the effort. I just try to park where I can get the doors wide open and no witnesses.:D

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'1" and 215 ibs with 34" inseams here. No "issues" in my '05 or '08 but believe the lowering route would feel more natural in the car for me. Am considering.

Sort of like adjustable rearsets on a bike. Might not be an issue with stock but adjustables in the right spot are nirvana.

Had an '03 Busa that I sold. Great bike.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm buying a Gen IV vert, but am concerned about whether I'll fit in there...I'm 6'2" @220 lbs. I'm concerned about height and my head touching the roof. I fit in my '08 Z06 easily - no height issues at all there. Anyone know if I'll have an issue fitting in there?

Everyones definition of 'I fit fine' is different. Some people slouch down and lean way back, some tilt to the left with their left arm hanging over the wheel and some sit upright with their head bent over to see outside the windshield.
I like to drive as if sitting at the kitchen table eating. Pretty much upright, maybe a slight recline back. And this is NOT POSSIBLE for someone 6'3" or taller without a seat lowering kit. Evgen in the coupe. You would be looking out the top of the visor.

OP
OP
F

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have the car within a few weeks, so I'm guessing I'll drive it and then decide which way to go if anything at all needs to be done - 1" or 2" kit. I'm told with a 34-35" inseam, there should be no problem with the stock seat setup, but I guess I'll have to wait and see...this was never an issue in any of my Vettes, past or current, but I sort of figured it might be on the Viper.

OP
OP
F

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Viper Orange - and I should see it within 9-10 days. Drove it the other day and it seems to me that it will need a lowering kit to make me more comfortable, but I'll drive it just the way it is for now and see before I make any rash decisions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960