"Callaway 440" in a Viper??

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\"Callaway 440\" in a Viper??

I had a friend trying to describe a Viper he had seen here locally. He finally took me to see it. It was parked under a carport canopy at a local muffler shop. It was a black '95 RT/10. Paint looked like cr@p. One of the workers was keeping it for a brother or someone that was from Colorado. Anyways, directly under the VIPER RT/10 logo on the front fenders it had "Callaway 440" lettering. I didn't pop the hood nor did I get a chance to talk to the individual who had it. This guy told my friend there wasn't very many made insinuating this was something special that Callaway did under Dodge's blessing. What the ???? :buttkick: .

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Callaway 440\" in a Viper??

Not sure but I don't think Callaway had DC's blessing and they were nothing special! I work on one and all it has is 70mm T/bodys, 1.7 rockers and some exhaust work. I met that bunch at a car show [I think in 97] and the Viper that they had there, the motor was way up on the right side [like a lot of them]! They tend to slide up the right motor mount over time. When I pointed it out to them they said "that I did not know what I was talking about and it was made that way"! What an A-hole! :buttkick:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure but I don't think Callaway had DC's blessing and they were nothing special! I work on one and all it has is 70mm T/bodys, 1.7 rockers and some exhaust work. I met that bunch at a car show [I think in 97] and the Viper that they had there, the motor was way up on the right side [like a lot of them]! They tend to slide up the right motor mount over time. When I pointed it out to them they said "that I did not know what I was talking about and it was made that way"! What an A-hole! :buttkick:

They obviously didnt know they were in the presence of a Wizard. ;)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Probable just a sticker.

I saw a BMW 740i with the M badging on it the other day but BMW never made a M7.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You probably didn't have your beard or hat on, that's why they didn't know you. :D

Reaction score

Perhaps that is acceptable work to Corvette owners :bonker:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i like the styling on the new C16 Callaway vette, a local guy i know has one of two Callaway C8 Camaros that were made it is one very fast car

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny! I never heard of a Callaway Viper ?

What's even funnier is I owned a Callaway Twin Turbo(1988) just prior to buying my Viper almost 7 years ago and was able to meet Reeves on a few ocassions at the Museum in Bowling Green. I won Judges choice at the ZR1/Callaway Gathering back in 2000. He drove my car and to make a long story short my opinion of Reeves after that was he was just and arrogant a$$hole!

Here's what happened to make me think that back then and even now!

History lesson if you don't know it - Reeves Callaway had created a car called the "Sledgehammer" it was a 1988 C4 TT 5.7 that made 900hp and went 254mph back in 1989. Guess who drove the car?

John Lingenfelter

If you ever get to see the movie "Sledgehammer" John speaks about the car just after setting the record. He said that he was not a big fan of Turbos but that car definately made some serious Horsepower. Well if you don't know it guess what John did 10 years later..... He mad a Twin turbo Corvette in 1999 and Car and Driver just so happen had an article that made the comparison between the Two. What's the irony? Lingenfelter now making Twin Turbo corvettes.

John's 650hp vs Callaway's 400hp(B2k car). Grant it is now 10 years later but..the article made comparisons and they pretty much kept things in perspective but in the end there was no comparison. It sort of bashed the Callaway production TT's and it did mention the "Sledgehammer". Reeves had put a price tag of the "Sledgehammer" at something like $400,000 to reproduce that car.
John's TT was only $45k on top of the price of a C5. No brainer right? well... I talked to Reeves about John's success (and yes I've met John too and not to mention his shop is here in Indiana) and you should of seen Reeve's temper flare! He wouldn't even answer any questions other than to say well John's trying! But he'll never accomplish what I did!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember seeing an Ebay auction where a guy was going to throw a V8 in a black RT/10, and even a discussion about it on this forum. Maybe this is the car we are talking about?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Probable just a sticker.

I saw a BMW 740i with the M badging on it the other day but BMW never made a M7.

You are right they didn't, because i would own it!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

they did make an L7. i have been told by a friend who works at BMW dealer at one point one of best selling parts at their parts dept were the M badges