Cam For Gen 1

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Witch cam will make the most HP and Torque with out running supercharges and alikes bolt on HP.
And I will be running a 1.7 Rocker

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
713-290-1103

greg is a caveman so you might need to wait for hi to call you back. hes still trying to figure out these new fangled answering machines :)

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The later 708 cam works well with the Gen 2 injectors and a calibration. 500rwhp with ported heads and headers. Good driveability too.

OP
OP
R

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'v been told that the 708 cam is a good cam but it makes less torque than it dose horse power.
With all the motors I have built have always had more torque than horse power
And they have always been very fast so I'm looking to do the same with my viper I'm looking for a cam that will make around 900 to 1000 in torque with about 550 to 620 horse power now that would be a good cam . Now I know they are out there because I have had then in my chevs and fords in the past but is there one for the viper . It's all about the lobe centers and duration .

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that would be something. What cam combo gave you that tq and hp combo on a 500in N/A Ford or Chevy. I'd really be interested to hear the EXACT details. Could you please list them.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol

April fools come early?

In all seriousness just call roe racing.

As far as I know I was one of the first cam only guys who posted for there cam and my gen 3. No bs picked up around 60 hp on the dyne.

Pre cam was 499 and after cam was 556. So a true 57 rwhp gain all on the same dyne using the same correction factors.

I'm very sure they have one for your car as well

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'v been told that the 708 cam is a good cam but it makes less torque than it dose horse power.
And they have always been very fast so I'm looking to do the same with my viper I'm looking for a cam that will make around 900 to 1000 in torque with about 550 to 620 horse power now that would be a good cam . Now I know they are out there because I have had then in my chevs and fords in the past but is there one for the viper . It's all about the lobe centers and duration .

The 708 is a great all around cam without going too radical. Coupled with 1.7 RR and a set of Greg Good heads you will be 525+ at the rear wheels.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait. What? You want 900-1000 lb-ft of torque and only 550-620 hp, and you are trying to get there with cam only????? The only way that's going to happen is with a turbo diesel that never sees anything past 3500 rpm. I would be shocked the day I see those numbers in a gasoline engine that's revving decently high.

As a side note, all motors make more torque than horsepower below 5250 rpm ;)

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually you would match the cam with heads/motor. You have rockers, rest of the motor is stock????
What does "rest is on its way" mean?
So, what are your motor or head specks?

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that there IS funny....You MUST have a sign.

OP
OP
R

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Iv been told also that gen 1 owners do two things .
Drive them into the ground intill they are dead and don't spend money on them , or hide them in there shed and dont drive them or spend money on them ether .
that is the biggest reason why dodge or anyone Else has not spent the time in making after market go parts . I have spent 9 years asking questions and getting mostly the same answer,

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compression and velve clearance is what it is all about.
All cams have a gide line . What they work best at.
Most motor builders once they have put your
New parts in the block,then they work out what compression and
What your heads flow at x amount of horse power.
Now with all that info they can pick your cam .And then they tell you what HP you have ,
and if your not happy with it ,You will start again .

My way horse power chasing
Now if you found a cam that will Mack the HP that your looking for and then It will tell you what compression your motor will needs and what your heads need to flow at .

Sorry guys it was all wrong . Using phone at the moment as computer is broken

Last edited:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what..., I think you should go for it.

I have a gam in carage zhat will mak at least 800HP and 1200lbs tq. and I'll shell it cheap. I'll throu few velve springs and velves in the pakage.
Inrerreted??

OP
OP
R

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I will bite
What compression dose it need to make it work at its best and what do the heads need to flow at .
And will gen one heads ported be anuff.

Last edited:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen1 had the following mods and achieved 480RWHP. I'd be surprised to see a Gen1 with a 708 CAM and stock compression get past 500RWHP. At 9.0:1, the Gen1 ratio isn't very high by HP per L standards.

GG heads - stock compression. 305CFM intake flow
1.7 RR
708 CAM
Ported Intake
65MM TB's
1.75" Edelbrock headers
3" high flow cats and 3" performance mufflers
VEC3

I now have a Gen1 with around 10:1 compression and a GG SPEC'd COMP cam. I haven't dyno'd it yet, but I'll post when I do.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen1 had the following mods and achieved 480RWHP. I'd be surprised to see a Gen1 with a 708 CAM and stock compression get past 500RWHP. At 9.0:1, the Gen1 ratio isn't very high by HP per L standards.

GG heads - stock compression. 305CFM intake flow
1.7 RR
708 CAM
Ported Intake
65MM TB's
1.75" Edelbrock headers
3" high flow cats and 3" performance mufflers
VEC3

I now have a Gen1 with around 10:1 compression and a GG SPEC'd COMP cam. I haven't dyno'd it yet, but I'll post when I do.

I would have bet with your mods you would be above 500RWHP easily. Did you dyno your car on a mustang dyno or dynojet? :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456