Can you drive your car places?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And to add to that... Dan's 06 Blue SRT Coupe, he bought last year AFTER he sold his red C5 Vette lol. I forget if Steve also had a Vette before his Yellow RT/10.

Anyway, I bought a Viper and never planned on buying a Vette. :)

I think everyone on last weeks cruise is setting us up, seems we are the only ones that have not had vettes :omg:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone on last weeks cruise is setting us up, seems we are the only ones that have not had vettes :omg:

haha yup, and I plan on keeping it that way lol. Don't get me wrong, I think newer C5/C6 Vettes(from 1997 and up) are nice, it just seems pointless buying one already owning a Viper. Unless I'm looking for something more practical to drive around as a daily driver in the warm weather. However, I would like to own an older Vette such as the 63 or 67, along with the 70s Stingrays. Anything in the 80s sucked.

Realistically, in regards to my next purchase, I'm leaning towards either a 1996-1998 Yellow or White 911 Turbo, an 01 or 02 yellow NSX or a 95 or 02 Yellow RT/10 Viper.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Learned that the hard way. Took my wife to dinner once and came out just in time to see some ass KICK!! my car!! Yelled at him and he took off. No damage thank goodness.

i would be in jail now for smashing his face

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I drove mine to work someone spit a big hunk of Copenhagen on the hood. With what it did to the finish I can see why it gives guys mouth cancer.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I wouldn't mind moving to Texas. Here in IL it's illegal to defend yourself or your property. I'll be down in the Austin area in 2 weeks and enjoy the fact that half the people down there will by carrying.

I agree about Texas.I lived there a couple years ago(North Central),and was always proud when a news story came on where someone had defended their home(some with deadly force)against crooks and home invasions. I live in Va now,and i don't care what the law says..anyone entering my home without permission in the dead of night especially will be greeted to either my S&W 38 ,SHOTGUN OR AUTO 32. Not a second thought.My family comes first.:usa:

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Locking gas cap? From where? The only one I found would not fit under the cap. Gotta get one!

I leave my GTS in gear, pull the hand brake, put the steering wheel lockbar on and engage the theft system. To date, I have not had any problems.
But use comon sense about where you go & park. How's there, time, etc.
Most people will just stand around and admire the roling artwork that is Viper. I came out of the grocery store one day to find some kid trying to take a photo. I asked him if he would like a photo of him in it. I let him sit in my Viper, got his photo and he quickly sent it off to all his friends via his Iphone.
So far, I don't mind the attention and happy to share the smiles this car brings.

I have the MGW gas cover. I just used one from the store and used sand paper to sand down the lock and edges so the stock gas cover would fit when I had the stock gas cover. Kinda tedious, but once you have one it's good for life.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 50k (6 yrs) of driving, my car has been keyed once, spit on once and bubblegum on the hood once. I am careful about where I park it, but it does get left unattended at places--mall, food places, etc for an hour or 2 at the time.

A locking gas cap was one of the very first things I bought for the car. Never had a problem with it. Paid $15 from NAPA, IIRC

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 50k (6 yrs) of driving, my car has been keyed once, spit on once and bubblegum on the hood once. I am careful about where I park it, but it does get left unattended at places--mall, food places, etc for an hour or 2 at the time.

A locking gas cap was one of the very first things I bought for the car. Never had a problem with it. Paid $15 from NAPA, IIRC

I think a locking gas cap is really all the insurance I need. The car had 32K miles when I got it, so it's not a "premium" example that needs to be mint with its original paint its whole life. If it needs to be repainted in 6 years due to vandalism, so be it. I'd love it if my other cars could get a paint job paid for by insurance!

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a $16 locking gas cap from Autozone. The kid was so enthralled to check out the car he peeled it from the plastic wrapping to make sure it fit for me and it did. SOLD!

So it fit an '01, I don't know about other years.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a $16 locking gas cap from Autozone. The kid was so enthralled to check out the car he peeled it from the plastic wrapping to make sure it fit for me and it did. SOLD!

So it fit an '01, I don't know about other years.

If it fit an '01, it should fit my 98 just fine!

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had a ZR1, I could use it for trips to the mall, movies, etc., since it didn't draw that much attention. The Viper on the otherhand gets left in the garage for those trips.

It would also be nice if the Viper's hood could be locked.

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never use the RT for anything but pleasure driving...that is the only reason I bought it. In my experience, way too many jealous people out there to park the car where it cannot be see all the time. Even people who do not mean any harm, leaning to see through the window and then scratching it with a zipper or something.

For me, just not worth it!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree about Texas.I lived there a couple years ago(North Central),and was always proud when a news story came on where someone had defended their home(some with deadly force)against crooks and home invasions. I live in Va now,and i don't care what the law says..anyone entering my home without permission in the dead of night especially will be greeted to either my S&W 38 ,SHOTGUN OR AUTO 32. Not a second thought.My family comes first.:usa:

Which is why I loved hearing the Joe Horn taping, loved every minute of it and wish the laws were like that around here. I personally wouldn't shoot anyone, I'd prefer beating them into the ground with my own hands, more enjoyable and satisfying.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know what year your gts is but i asure you its not a 30k car. your car depending on the year likely sold for a minimum of 70k and perhaps 80k.

my 03 sold to the origional owner for 90k.

i dont care if all these years later both our snakes have depreciated to 30 to 40k serpents. every last styling and performance element of our cars is and will forever be 70-90k worth of viper.

honestly 75k back in the mid 90s or 90k back in 2003 easily equates to 100k in todays dollars.

so while you and i may know the kbb values to everyone else they see a near 100k ride. some people just admire these serpents and some spread their hatin eagle wings ready to swoop down and strike any way they can.

As far as parking..i just find a spot a lil ways off and go do what i gotta do. ive sold to many cars to even care about that crap anymore. your either gonna eventually sell it or wreck it at some point. if you decide to keep her 10 plus years then you will likely repaint her at some point. just enjoy it!

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know what year your gts is but i asure you its not a 30k car. your car depending on the year likely sold for a minimum of 70k and perhaps 80k.

I think he meant 30K as the mileage on the car and not $30,000 :nono:

Ryan SRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had a ZR1, I could use it for trips to the mall, movies, etc., since it didn't draw that much attention. The Viper on the otherhand gets left in the garage for those trips.

It would also be nice if the Viper's hood could be locked.

I left my car on jack stands at my friend's house while getting my wheels powder coated and he hit the hood release to show someone the motor the factory alarm went off. But someone with common sense will just pull the fuse.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken mine to a couple of CBJ games (3+ hours unattended).
If you listen close, you can hear a few owners throw up after reading that. :D
I park it in the back corner of the lot where there's sort of a 1.5 parking space (light pole/trash can to the right). This leaves plenty of room for the guy on the left to open is door fully (even a '76 Mark VII) without tagging the car.

Like others have said, I don't sweat it too much. I have kickazz insurance.
And a brand new CCW. :)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, he didn't. That wouldn't make sense lol. Especially since he said this: "It's sad that I can't park a $30,000 car in a parking lot without it getting messed with, when there are cars worth 2-3x as much nearby."

Worth would imply money, not mileage. :cool:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, like I said earlier, I drive it all over the place and leave it parked without a worry, but I'm not going to the "hood" anyway.

Most of the time I drive it to restaurants, bars, clubs, etc, they have me park it right at the front anyway. That way, there's usually a door guy, bouncer, valet attendant or something standing right there too.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it interesting people do bad things to Vipers but not to Corvettes. I wonder if Lambos and Ferraris get the same kind of treatment? I do think it may be less likely to happen out here in "fly over" country where people rarely see exotic cars, but I'm still one of those who goes by "better safe than sorry."

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm sure this happens to all exotic car owners, haters are haters....but there are more nice then bad, i took my car for a wash this morning, then to the gas station, I got into a 30 minute convo with a guy about my viper and 4 complement from bystanders and not one negative

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The world has become so much more violent and disrespectful. There was no such thing when I was younger called road rage. People got upset with others, but I never recalled being flipped off or run off the road.

Someone shot my 2011 Edge with a BB gun while I was driving. I realize the Viper is just a car but it is still upsetting when it happens. Disobedience in today's world is greater. Morality has slid.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My car is both! I agree, the window sticker is over $70,000, but at the same time the car has 34K miles on it so it's not a museum piece. The car is absolutely flawless, but if I was going to park a GTS in a museum it'd have less than 10,000 miles on it.

Honestly, I don't mind if I have to repaint the car in 8-10 years. That's part of life. It'll give me a chance to have a show quality paint job and not a regular factory paint job. I'm going to enjoy the car and have fun with it.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as parking..i just find a spot a lil ways off and go do what i gotta do. ive sold to many cars to even care about that crap anymore. your either gonna eventually sell it or wreck it at some point. if you decide to keep her 10 plus years then you will likely repaint her at some point. just enjoy it!

The reason the previous owner sold my GTS is because he felt he couldn't drive it anywhere. The car sat under a car cover all year! I'm afraid to put the car cover on, as I *only* get a chance to hand wash the car once a week. That leaves 6 days of the week that I park it dirty and don't dare scratch the paint by putting a cover on it.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where in IL are you having issues?

I live in the Barrington area and take my car everywhere. Never had any issues. Always people who give me thumbs up or take pictures though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang