Car & Driver does it again.......

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't read the Aug. issue yet but the results of a comparo between an ACR / ZO6 / Porsche GT2 / and Nissan GTR have been posted on some sites. Here are the numbers:

Corvette Z06 4th place

Curb weight 3180 lb
0-60 mph 3.8 sec
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 124
70-0 mph 159 ft
Slalom 62.9 mph
Lap time 2:01.7 / 79.9 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

Viper SRT10 ACR 3rd place

Curb weight 3420 lb
0-60 mph 3.4 sec
1/4 mile 11.8 @ 126
70-0 mph 149 ft
Slalom 61.9 mph
Lap time 1:55.7 / 84.0 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

Porsche GT2 2nd place

Curb weight 3300 lb
0-60 mph 3.7 sec
1/4 mile 11.8 @ 121
70-0 mph 155 ft
Slalom 67.2 mph
Lap time 1:59.7 / 81.2 MPH

Nissan GTR 1st place in the write up

Curb weight 3920 lb
0-60 mph 4.1 sec
1/4 mile 12.6 @ 111
70-0 mph 155 ft
Slalom 67.6 mph
Lap time 2:01.1 / 80.3 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

I have never seen CD so biased in their opinions when it comes to the GTR. So much for objective data. They have lost alot of credibility for me.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So, the Viper wins in 4/5 categories and I would really have to question why it did so poorly in the 5th (slalom) and they rate 3rd place. Guess Car and Driver really isnt for driver's any more.

I'm too busy enjoying the heck out of driving my Viper to read that trash any how.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have always found most car mags to be biased toward *** cars. C&D is one of the worst.

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt edmunds say the viper was among the three fasted cars ever in there slalom?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets face it, it takes certains balls to drive Vipers. Most people simply dont have those balls, and seem to resent those of us that do. Also, one must remember that the sole purpose of these rags is sales. The Gen 4 Viper alone dominates every sports car cateragory of significance (Road and Track Evil Twins Issue), and the ACR is simply untouchable. BUT, readers would tire of Viper winning in every contest in every rag.

So they simply print bull**** to make it interesting and to get sales.

We know we rule, thats good enough for me.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped subscribing to C&D years ago. I won't even buy it off the shelf. The Viper is not for everyone...its for us and we're a unique breed. Let's see...based on C&D's logic (assuming these stats are correct) then the '08 is lighter, faster in 0-60, faster in the 1/4 mile, has better braking, and the fastest lap time compared to the GTR. Yep...that sounds like a 3rd place finish according to C&R's logic. :rolleyes: No surprise here.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't get so worked up over subjective ratings. The mag is, IMO, worth it for the objective numbers alone. Look at it this way: Both the ACR and GT2 are on Pilot Sport Cups, yet the ACR is four seconds faster! Thats an insane advantage for a car less than half the price of the Porsche.

Its interesting that the GT-R beat the Z06 around the track; I wonder how things would go if C6s came with better (PS2?) tires? R&T's had it kill the Z06 and 997TT, but that test was obviously biased.

The 111 mph trap speed is the lowest I've seen for the GT-R (they usually seem to be around 116), and the Porsche was tested by Motor Trend at a 127.9 mph. What kind of gas were they on? Seems like both turbo cars were suffering.

The ACR's slalom speed is suspect, maybe they didn't set the dampers up correctly?

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah. I read the magazine with a "are you serious" look.. The GT-R seemed to be the worst...

But it's based on points... YAY for 5 points towards having back seats(that practically gave them the lead) trunk space and interior looks..

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 111 mph trap speed is the lowest I've seen for the GT-R (they usually seem to be around 116), and the Porsche was tested by Motor Trend at a 127.9 mph. What kind of gas were they on? Seems like both turbo cars were suffering.

The ACR's slalom speed is suspect, maybe they didn't set the dampers up correctly?

I am guessing that slalom data might be a typo. 71 sounds more around what I would expect from the car.

As for the quarter mile, if you have driven different tracks in the same car you know that different tracks on different days can give you very different numbers. A lot of car magazines will also correct their e.t.s and trap speeds for altitude and temperature. When a mag lists the actual numbers that they got, the speeds look low and the time high but it was really what they got on that day. I always take those numbers with a grain of salt because of the variables.

As for the viper getting third place, ah, who cares. It doesn't make me like my car any more or less because some person that I have never met likes one car over another. If you bought the car to impress other people I can see why people would get their pantys in a *** but whatever. The new ACR is pretty bad ass, the numbers show it, and that should be enough to make viper fans happy.

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about ordering a GTR until my wife saw the pictures of what it looked like and and made the decision on the Viper.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing that slalom data might be a typo. 71 sounds more around what I would expect from the car.

As for the quarter mile, if you have driven different tracks in the same car you know that different tracks on different days can give you very different numbers. A lot of car magazines will also correct their e.t.s and trap speeds for altitude and temperature. When a mag lists the actual numbers that they got, the speeds look low and the time high but it was really what they got on that day. I always take those numbers with a grain of salt because of the variables.

As for the viper getting third place, ah, who cares. It doesn't make me like my car any more or less because some person that I have never met likes one car over another. If you bought the car to impress other people I can see why people would get their pantys in a *** but whatever. The new ACR is pretty bad ass, the numbers show it, and that should be enough to make viper fans happy.

I think if they base it on Performance only it seems to me it should of been ACR, GT2, Z06 and then GTR but I guess they don't see it that way.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if they base it on Performance only it seems to me it should of been ACR, GT2, Z06 and then GTR but I guess they don't see it that way.

Yes, you are correct. The winner of a sports car shootout should always be the heaviest, ugliest and slowest.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But in order to get a good slalom time you need to know how to drive - without a babysitter .... :drive:

Winning 3/4 cats ... as they say you can make stats say anything - but it doesn't mean anyone will believe you!

So, the Viper wins in 4/5 categories and I would really have to question why it did so poorly in the 5th (slalom) and they rate 3rd place. Guess Car and Driver really isnt for driver's any more.

I'm too busy enjoying the heck out of driving my Viper to read that trash any how.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't read the Aug. issue yet but the results of a comparo between an ACR / ZO6 / Porsche GT2 / and Nissan GTR have been posted on some sites. Here are the numbers:

Corvette Z06 4th place

Curb weight 3180 lb
0-60 mph 3.8 sec
1/4 mile 11.9 @ 124
70-0 mph 159 ft
Slalom 62.9 mph
Lap time 2:01.7 / 79.9 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

Viper SRT10 ACR 3rd place

Curb weight 3420 lb
0-60 mph 3.4 sec
1/4 mile 11.8 @ 126
70-0 mph 149 ft
Slalom 71.9 mph
Lap time 1:55.7 / 84.0 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

Porsche GT2 2nd place

Curb weight 3300 lb
0-60 mph 3.7 sec
1/4 mile 11.8 @ 121
70-0 mph 155 ft
Slalom 67.2 mph
Lap time 1:59.7 / 81.2 MPH

Nissan GTR 1st place in the write up

Curb weight 3920 lb
0-60 mph 4.1 sec
1/4 mile 12.6 @ 111
70-0 mph 155 ft
Slalom 67.6 mph
Lap time 2:01.1 / 80.3 MPH (Button Willow No13 2.7 mile)

I have never seen CD so biased in their opinions when it comes to the GTR. So much for objective data. They have lost alot of credibility for me.

Typo corrected. The only performance or handling event the Viper did not win was top speed. Third place my ass. Note trunk space, rear seat room, accessories etc were the determining factor. Yep those are exactly what people look for when buyng an ultimate performance car. Not!

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh and if there was BMW 3 series in the test, they would have picked that over these cars too.

Idiots.

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone surprised by the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time of the GTR? I thought that was a mid 11 second car. :dunno:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear Car and Driver Magazine,

We would like to call your attention to the name of your fine magazine: CAR and DRIVER. We've long admired how your magazine was dedicated to car and driving enthusiasts. It has been observed how your magazine makes no pretense of higher importance to vehicle characteristics favoring passengers, or pets, or luggage, or say ...cup holders. It is a magazine dedicated to the collective love affair for automotive excellence, performance and the driving experience thereby made possible. So when your fine magazine does a comparison of extreme performance automobiles, at the pinnacle of performance for the entire automotive spectrum, we turn our full attention with keen interest and anticipation of such a doctrine.

Candidly, we fully expected our beloved 2008 Viper ACR to dominate all comers. It was built for just such a purpose. With a track lap time of 1.55.7 it beat the next nearest competitor by a full 4 seconds per lap. It dominated in nearly all other performance categories, as well. But shockingly, it appears C&D magazine has taken on a new automotive focus. Your magazine appears to now be compelled to dismiss supreme automotive performance. Despite the Viper’s clear achievements, you deemed not to recognize its superiority. With this test being among the utmost in such automobiles, it would now seem C&D is abandoning its roots, abandoning the priority it has placed upon performance, and giving way to a more general concept of transportation. Thus, we respectfully suggest a new name for your magazine: TRANSPORTATION and PASSENGERS. Just think of the broad new subject matter now possible once of you have officially freed your magazine of any emphasis on performance…

Respectfully submitted,

The Viper Club of America

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on their subjective testing, a new minivan should have been included, it would have won......heck it has more cupholders!

Regards,
Aaron

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear Car and Driver Magazine,

We would like to call your attention to the name of your fine magazine: CAR and DRIVER. We've long admired how your magazine was dedicated to car and driving enthusiasts. It has been observed how your magazine makes no pretense of higher importance to vehicle characteristics favoring passengers, or pets, or luggage, or say ...cup holders. It is a magazine dedicated to the collective love affair for automotive excellence, performance and the driving experience thereby made possible. So when your fine magazine does a comparison of extreme performance automobiles, at the pinnacle of performance for the entire automotive spectrum, we turn our full attention with keen interest and anticipation of such a doctrine.

Candidly, we fully expected our beloved 2008 Viper ACR to dominate all comers. It was built for just such a purpose. With a track lap time of 1.55.7 it beat the next nearest competitor by a full 4 seconds per lap. It dominated in nearly all other performance categories, as well. But shockingly, it appears C&D magazine has taken on a new automotive focus. Your magazine appears to now be compelled to dismiss supreme automotive performance. Despite the Viper’s clear achievements, you deemed not to recognize its superiority. With this test being among the utmost in such automobiles, it would now seem C&D is abandoning its roots, abandoning the priority it has placed upon performance, and giving way to a more general concept of transportation. Thus, we respectfully suggest a new name for your magazine: TRANSPORTATION and PASSENGERS. Just think of the broad new subject matter now possible once of you have officially freed your magazine of any emphasis on performance…

Respectfully submitted,

The Viper Club of America

That has to be sent!!!!! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly.

Besides, it's Car and Driver, not Car and Racer. Don't they also test SUVs and minivans?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear MarkRx,

I saw early test numbers of the GTR as well....I think it was a perfect example with a couple extra tweaks.....but the rest of them will likely be more like the examples they're testing now.

Regards,
Aaron

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
6 seconds a lap faster than a Z06. Good God!!

That's just the right amount of a$$ whipping for me.

At the track, I doubt the ACR has to worry about the ZR-1. It's just in the 50-150mph races the ZR-1 will win.

Even my Viper might need another 50rwhp to make sure I stay ahead of the ZR-1

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C&D's Reply to VCA:

On the track, the ACR doesn't disappoint. The elephant in the room was the 'Ring times, and SADLY, the ACR has yet to show up. (We couldn't test that, but we KNOW about it and its A BIG DEAL). Top speed is also an important factor (can you call a SUB 200 MPH car it a Supercar?), not to mention the all important 'How easy is it to swing into parking stalls at *******?' test (we had to back up and take a second shot at it, and while that got us more time to show off in front, it was kinda embarassing..we also had to crawl over the dip and scraped the nose on the way into the parking lot...then my date burned her leg on the exhaust tip).

(just having a little fun with you guys) ;)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let's see, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Cur & Drover owned by a French Publishing Conglomerate??? Nissan, and Renault are siblings conjoined at the hip, and I smell zee rat in da wood pile.

Who cares, anyone with an ounce of brain matter will see it is 6 seconds faster on a track and that translates to about 60 car lengths per lap ------- can you say seeeee yaaaa, Monsier!!

We are right back to the old scenario, where he who wallops on others is not as competent because he doesn't advertise as much.

All four are great cars, but why even bother to do performance tests if you decide to ignore them?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That has to be sent!!!!! :2tu:

That was my thought too ...although I could not find this comparison on their website (so I wonder if the posted results actually go with another magazine?).

I offer the note to the VCA as a suggestion ...to submit on the reader feedback area of the C&D website: [email protected] (once the comparison is confirmed)