Car won't idle

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to take car out for a ride today and it would not idle, car starts fine . If I hold the gas pedal at the same spot the engine RPM will go down a few hundred RPM and then come back up.When I take my foot off the gas RPMs drop off and car stalls. The only thing I had done was to take off my K&N fiters and clean them, they were off the car a few days to dry.Any ideas on why it won't idle is appreciated

OP
OP
D

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions ,I'll try a new battery and cleaning the IAC

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some clarification:

1. You can use a scan tool and see if the IAC is opening.

a. If you show it is all the way open it could be a sign of a more serious problem.

b. If it is not open or open very little that could be the issue.

2. You may have a hard time finding IAC cleaner, but, MAF cleaner will work and is readily available.

3. With the scan tool verify the idle speed it should be 670-680.

4. If the car start easily it is probably is not the battery.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. You may have a hard time finding IAC cleaner, but, MAF cleaner will work and is readily available.

Throttle body cleaner is available at most auto parts. You just want to be sure it is safe with rubber and plastic parts as TB's and IAC's have that. Carb cleaners can be way more aggressive which is good for cleaning but they can attack the plastic and rubber goodies, leaving shiny and non-functional.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throttle body cleaner is available at most auto parts. You just want to be sure it is safe with rubber and plastic parts as TB's and IAC's have that. Carb cleaners can be way more aggressive which is good for cleaning but they can attack the plastic and rubber goodies, leaving shiny and non-functional.

That is why I suggested MAF cleaner, it cuts/cleans without dissolving the the non-metallic parts. It is great on electrical parts also.

OP
OP
D

dshaf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, 1st I changed the battery,the car would stay idling but when the clutch was pushed in coming to a stop RPMs would drop off completely and then catch and stay idling. So I took off the IAC and cleaned it with MAF cleaner ,everything works just as it should now.Again thanks for the Help.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, 1st I changed the battery,the car would stay idling but when the clutch was pushed in coming to a stop RPMs would drop off completely and then catch and stay idling. So I took off the IAC and cleaned it with MAF cleaner ,everything works just as it should now.Again thanks for the Help.

Did you reset PCM, throttle position???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32