Catch cans-are they emissions legal in California?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since PCV is part of emissions system and catch can does appear to tamper with the way PCV functions, would you have to remove it for emission tests, not to fail the visual part?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they knew what they were looking at, yes you would need to remove it. Unless you can cough up a CARB certification for it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's a non-vented setup that just runs in-line with the standard PCV it really shouldn't make a difference, but the non-enthusiast would just see that "it's not stock" and may give you a hard time. If anything the can should actually clean up emissions since you aren't burning as much oil.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, I think a visual may miss the pvc bypass. But, hard to miss the open breather on top of the can. Not looking forward to my 1st smog test coming later this year, but removing the whole set up and reconnecting the pcv, maybe 1 hour?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's a non-vented setup that just runs in-line with the standard PCV it really shouldn't make a difference, but the non-enthusiast would just see that "it's not stock" and may give you a hard time. If anything the can should actually clean up emissions since you aren't burning as much oil.

The issue is that the nasty stuff a catch can collects is meant to be burned off in the combustion cycle, not trapped and collected to later be dumped.

But that's assuming the people running the checks knew how a PCV system was supposed to work, and what a catch can was. Or for that matter what a Viper was and how it came from the factory.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, I think a visual may miss the pvc bypass. But, hard to miss the open breather on top of the can. Not looking forward to my 1st smog test coming later this year, but removing the whole set up and reconnecting the pcv, maybe 1 hour?
Not sure, I got a car failed for repairing air intake boot instead of replacing it... Maybe things are better where you live but here, in Sacto, being an ***** must be a prerequisite to be a smog tech apparently.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These people cannot be reasoned with, I already know this part:crazy2:

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a closed loop stealth catch can from 42 designs that would be hard to spot (black).

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is that the nasty stuff a catch can collects is meant to be burned off in the combustion cycle, not trapped and collected to later be dumped.

But that's assuming the people running the checks knew how a PCV system was supposed to work, and what a catch can was. Or for that matter what a Viper was and how it came from the factory.
This is why the state provides them with vacuum diagrams. Since in California, the tail pipe testing is no more for OBDII cars, I have a suspicion the visual part will be expanded.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a closed loop stealth catch can from 42 designs that would be hard to spot (black).

It wouldn't matter if it was hard to spot the can itself or not...the hoses leading to it and away from it would be a dead give away.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my 2008 registered and licensed in CA. The smog place hardly even looked under the hood. He checked a sticker and didn't even look at the motor other than to say WOW thats a big motor. I highly doubt they are going to have any clue what they are looking at with our cars. Or care for that matter. Where are you taking your car that they are doing that detail of a inspection that they will look that close at your motor. PeterMJ I find it hard t believe they failed your car for a torn air intake boot. I had a car pass smog that was 550 horse no cats and oil breathers on the valve covers and a total built race motor in a 1989 IROC. I think you will be fine with with a catch can

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my 2008 registered and licensed in CA. The smog place hardly even looked under the hood. He checked a sticker and didn't even look at the motor other than to say WOW thats a big motor. I highly doubt they are going to have any clue what they are looking at with our cars. Or care for that matter. Where are you taking your car that they are doing that detail of a inspection that they will look that close at your motor. PeterMJ I find it hard t believe they failed your car for a torn air intake boot. I had a car pass smog that was 550 horse no cats and oil breathers on the valve covers and a total built race motor in a 1989 IROC. I think you will be fine with with a catch can
The boot was torn and repaired and fully functional and I still failed the visual. I guess it depends on the **** inspecting the car. I checked and there is not a single CARB approved catch can system. Since I know one smog guy, if he says no, then no catch can and no splicing vacuum lines. I have a problem clearing the curb to his shop with either my viper or vette but will do what I have to do not to deal with the other smog jerkoffs.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Never thought about it that way. Guess dumping it is probably the greater of two evils. Cats can clean up the combustion I suppose.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought about it that way. Guess dumping it is probably the greater of two evils. Cats can clean up the combustion I suppose.

Yep...I'm glad I don't have to worry about emissions, because I don't want that garbage flowing back through the intake. Given how quickly a catch can setup can be installed and taken back to stock, I'd just leave the factory stuff in place for the smog check, and put the catch can on for the rest of the time.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where are you located at. PM me and if you are close to me I know a shop that will pass your car. I don't know anyone there but they hardly even looked at my car. Cali ***** for cars and emissions. They harass people like us with nice expensive cars but then all the junkers that spit more black smoke than a 18 wheeler get the ok.WTH!
The boot was torn and repaired and fully functional and I still failed the visual. I guess it depends on the **** inspecting the car. I checked and there is not a single CARB approved catch can system. Since I know one smog guy, if he says no, then no catch can and no splicing vacuum lines. I have a problem clearing the curb to his shop with either my viper or vette but will do what I have to do not to deal with the other smog jerkoffs.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located at. PM me and if you are close to me I know a shop that will pass your car. I don't know anyone there but they hardly even looked at my car. Cali ***** for cars and emissions. They harass people like us with nice expensive cars but then all the junkers that spit more black smoke than a 18 wheeler get the ok.WTH!
I am in Sacramento, California. Maybe best is to forget about the catch can? California is so effed up, it is not even funny.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Sacramento, California. Maybe best is to forget about the catch can? California is so effed up, it is not even funny.

I wouldn't forget about it, but I would wait until after you pass the smog check to install it. A catch can is actually the first mod I did to my otherwise stock Viper...all it took was pulling the throttle bodies off to take a look around that convinced me it was needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62