Changing Cams

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious here...I notice so many Gen II's (96-99) have done heads/cam. Isn't the stock cam during the forged piston years already very aggressive?

Also, the TT cars are so much more quiet at idle that the cam isn't even noticable. Is this because of how the turbos exhaust the hot gases...or do they maybe use a milder cam?

I'm from the old school and would certainly want the lopey sound. Just try to learn something here. TIA...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
turbos act as an extra set of mufflers.

the camns out of the early genII's are good but there is definetly more power to be had out of a properly ground cam and a "Good" set of heads.

Depends on what the application will be. Different cam grounds whether it will be TT, s/c or NA.

Pretty easy to get another 100+ rwhp/tq with heads and cam and then add whatever poweradder U want.

I wouldnt trade the sound of my car 4 nuthin'

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have over 600/600 on 93 octane with head/cam... love the sound and the driveability...

your right about the twin turbo.. just does not sound the same...

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You can't beat the old school, lopey sound and car shake of an aggressive cam and head package....nothing else like it! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all... I wasn't questioning the "heads/cam" package...just thought the early Gen II's stock cam was already very aggressive. Also, I figured the TT systems, by design, muffled a lot of the exhaust sound and that was why I hadn't heard any "lumpy or lopey" idles on TT Vipers. I too am from the old school and would not enjoy full pleasure from the beast if the nasty lope was gone.

My '94 LT1 SC vette was built to the max and still didn't have enough "lumpiness" for me (of course, it idled at 950 rpm and am sure that took some of the lope away). I maintained excellent vacuum with it and it was aggressive...just not lumpy enough. I realize the vette and viper sound is like apples and oranges, but have heard some really mean Vipers.

Thanks for your input and info... :2tu:

Agressive cam