Cheap skipshift disable for 2001s

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured the impedance of the skip shift soleniod to be 13 ohms and bought a pack of 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistors. Disconnected the soleniod and plugged the resistor directly into the connector. Works great - no engine light. Why spend 30-60 bucks when you can get it for less than a buck?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SEASNAKE:
Why spend 30-60 bucks when you can get it for less than a buck? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I fear electricity !? Soldering connectors etc gives a chance that all those compresssed smoke particles from which wire is made will leak out....I DONE SEEN IT HAPPEN BEFORE!!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good cost savings topic for the "Illustrated Upgrades" for us electrically challenged.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A non-issue.When that arrow lights up which is rare.I understand the message to be."What the hells wrong with you?Forget which pedal to step down on?Feet don't reach the pedals?If you can't drive it than park it up there and please rip up your drivers license." Bruce

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
A non-issue.When that arrow lights up which is rare.I understand the message to be."What the hells wrong with you?Forget which pedal to step down on?Feet don't reach the pedals?If you can't drive it than park it up there and please rip up your drivers license." Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
bounce.gif

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those poor people like myself who drive their cars a lot and have gotten over most (not all, but most) of the stop light to stop light hard accelerations - the skip shift does come into effect and is an annoyance. So whats the problem with eliminating the issue? I understand the light goes off when you accelerate and believe me it never bothers me at the track, but for every day back and forth to work driving I want it gone.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont drive it like a wuss, you dont have to worry about ever hitting the skip shift.
smile.gif

I heard that you can just disconnect it, no resistor needed. My friend (beleive it or not, I have a friend) put the resister in his Camaro 3 years ago and it still works.

RED97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate you sharing this tip with us. You forgot to mention how you addressed the issue of protecting the 2 exposed connectors. Did you just tape over them??? I was planning on doing the same with a resistor, I just wanted to use another pair of connectors for protection.
I'll go back to Lurking now.

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This works great, we where doing this on the C5's my wife and I
had back in 97 & 98. Never a problem two inch strips of elecrtic
tape and your done, a whole $3.00 in parts.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't looked real ******* my '99, but it looks like I have to drop the plate that goes underneath the driveline. That takes more time than it is worth for me. Anybody know how/where to rezch up and do this without dropping that panel?

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not how hard you step on the accelerator, its how long. You can still get to ~1500 RPMs in first without mashing down on the accelerator. Just shift a little later.

I think I have only hit the skip shift about twice since I have owned the car, and I don't floor it from every stop light.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilddude:
The skipshift Eliminator can be had on Ebay all day long for $8-$10. Check it out!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and I emailed the guy.... he would not send a picture, then emailed him again asking if it was a "manufacured piece". He answered they are "custom made".... my bet is it is the resistor mentioned above, two wires, and a piece of pipe around the mess. I'd also bet it does not even have the connector. I say this because in the sellers feedback one person wrote..... "$10 for a piece of pipe with two wires sticking out, what a ripoff"

If this is what I was selling, I would not provide a picture to prospective customers either!

Has anyone here bought one?

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not have to drop the plate to get to this, although it is a pain to get your arms in. The skip shift solenoid is the one you see looking front to back on the driver side about 1/2 down the side of the tranny. You access it from the front. I put a little RTV over the resistor and then electrical tape. I also put a little tape over the solenoid connection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4