Check engine light

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what the check engine light means when it comes on. I was out driving and parked for about 10 min when I tried to start the viper I hit the start buttonto fast and the engine turned but didnt start, then I started it and the check engine light came on anyone one know if this will need to be serviced I hate taking the car in to my dealer what a hassle Thanks for any help

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to check the codes to know what happened. The readers aren't very expensive or you can go to an Advance Auto Parts or other parts store - they read the codes for free.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that you needed a DRBIII to read codes on all the new Dodges- no one made an aftermarket reader yet.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that you needed a DRBIII to read codes on all the new Dodges- no one made an aftermarket reader yet.

Not true.

A generic reader works just fine. I have used one quite often. Bought it at my local autoparts store.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same thing last week. Stalled the car, then for about 20 miles the check engine light came on. I stopped into the dealership, they plugged it in and found out that it threw a code for "no power to the crank". The viper tech thought this was wierd since it started fine. Anyway he reset the computer and everything is fine. If the its a bogus check engine then it should reset after four or five restarts of the car.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That happened to me when my battery ran low and the starter struggled to turn over the car. My light reset on the next off/on of the engine.

Check it now to see if it stays lit.