check engine light

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those with a 2013 viper. can you tell me how long the hatch LED lights stay on when the hatch is opened. Mine turn off after 20 or 30 minutes.
Thanx

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did contact the dealer and chrysler, they want to tow the car to a factory trained viper tech. Like everyone else, I know I will get the viper back with some type of damage.
The SRT guys have to know what the 20 second dash light means, it goes on every 20 seconds for 5 seconds, but when the hatch is opened and the hatch led are on, the dash lightd do NOT come on.

Suit yourself.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did contact the dealer and chrysler, they want to tow the car to a factory trained viper tech. Like everyone else, I know I will get the viper back with some type of damage.
The SRT guys have to know what the 20 second dash light means, it goes on every 20 seconds for 5 seconds, but when the hatch is opened and the hatch led are on, the dash lightd do NOT come on.

I may have missed this part but when you changed the battery did you just do a swap or did you leave the battery disconnected for a length of time before putting the new battery in? The ladder I believe is key in fixing the problem.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you also tell me if the dash lights come on when you open the hatch using the button above the rear plate, mine does. I am just trying to figure out what is normal.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you also tell me if the dash lights come on when you open the hatch using the button above the rear plate, mine does. I am just trying to figure out what is normal.

You are going to be shooting in the dark here, we all are new owners. As Bill says, get in touch with a local dealer.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all further proof that Dodge and these dealers are not equipped to sell a car this expensive. Just look at how concerned everyone is with taking their car to their local stealership. Add that to the initial bugs in the cars they're putting out (no excuse after the multitude of excuses and statements that they wanted these cars perfect when they left the factory) and I'm extremely happy I canceled my order and decided to wait it out.

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you determine what is normal, as far as the duration & triggers of lightning go, what's your next step? I don't see this playing out very well if you refuse to take your car to a dealer for service.

I would be itching to drive the car if I were you.

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trying to help you out here....testing on my G5

Opened trunk......dash lights come on for a few seconds. dash goes off.

Close hatch, dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off.

Open door, dash comes on for a few seconds. dash goes off.

Close door, dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off.

Release Parking brake, dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off. ( including tach)

Push brake, dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off. ( including tach)

Push side mirror adjustment buttons, dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off. (including tach)

Dimmer switches also causes dash lights come on for a few seconds. Dash goes off.

Fuel door.....may be a blown fuse.....did not look for a circuit w/ fuse for this

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree, this is a BRAND NEW car. I would have refused delivery if it were doing that when deliver. Call the selling dealer, tell them to come get it, and fix it.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not all dealers are the same and SRT has worked hard to get well trained, responsable service people on board. Do some homework and make a connection with someone at the dealer, you might be suprised. The SRT dealers I have dealt with in California have been great.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my .02 worth but it sure sounds like a faulty ground to me.

Sam you have some of my sympathy, I say this because you seam reluctant to take it to the dealer or send it to them.

Does anyone have a good dealer to recommend to him in his area?

Sam, have you contacted SRT? If not do so...right now!

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in contact with the dealer I purchased the viper from, they are working on solving these issues. I also contacted SRT, they referred to to a local dealer and told me they are certified and trained to work on a 2013 viper. I called that dealer and the service manager was honest enough to tell me they are only trained to change the oil in a 2013 viper. This is why I have a hard time trusting dealers like everyone else, can you blame me.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper just put out a code (P2104 ETC System Forced idle) Any idea what this might mean.
This *****... I'll keep your ordeal and few others in mind should I get tired of my Gen4. Gilles has a Twitter account, why not link your thread to it?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in contact with the dealer I purchased the viper from, they are working on solving these issues. I also contacted SRT, they referred to to a local dealer and told me they are certified and trained to work on a 2013 viper. I called that dealer and the service manager was honest enough to tell me they are only trained to change the oil in a 2013 viper. This is why I have a hard time trusting dealers like everyone else, can you blame me.
Not at all, rarely you see someone at big three dealership that would actually take care of expensive car, they will most likely mess up the car and scrape the crap out of it. Start rattling the cage from the very top, that would be Ralph Gilles himself.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This *****... I'll keep your ordeal and few others in mind should I get tired of my Gen4.

What "ordeal" are you talking about?
For all we know, there is a slightly loose fuse, or a screw that isn't quite tight that shook loose during the 1500 mile truck ride to his house? Is that a major manufacturing defect that should shame the SRT team? They have not been given the opportunity to fix the problem. I don't think anyone should expect to receive a house call from the SRT manufacturing team as a first response.

I do agree that if a person does not trust a dealer to touch the car, then they should not have purchased it. I understanding the feeling of disappointment; but, I have been in the manufacturing businees for most of my career, and on complicated low volume things, errors happen and they can often be HARD to detect in the factory.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What "ordeal" are you talking about?
For all we know, there is a slightly loose fuse, or a screw that isn't quite tight that shook loose during the 1500 mile truck ride to his house? Is that a major manufacturing defect that should shame the SRT team? They have not been given the opportunity to fix the problem. I don't think anyone should expect to receive a house call from the SRT manufacturing team as a first response.

I do agree that if a person does not trust a dealer to touch the car, then they should not have purchased it. I understanding the feeling of disappointment; but, I have been in the manufacturing businees for most of my career, and on complicated low volume things, errors happen and they can often be HARD to detect in the factory.
I had cars shipped across the country in the past, never had anything coming loose in the process. IF something indeed came loose, then it was not installed properly in the first place.

Fiat made a big deal out of setting up specialized SRT locations to not only sell but service new Vipers as well. If there is nobody around him, then SRT should have a contingency plan to deal with it. If the alternative for this guy is being at the mercy of a run of the mill Chrysler dealer, with grease monkeys dealing with minivans and darts, then I know very well why he dreads the possibility of taking his car there. No doubt something will get scraped, dented or scratched, this is even before actually repair will be attempted.

A house call sounds like a great idea as a matter of fact, not like Vipers are flying off the showroom floors, this could be a great PR move, never mind your sarcasm. Maybe there is a lack of QC at Viper plant? Not like this did not happened in the past. How much will that Viper have to cost to get OEM to care about the buyers? Apparently 130k is not enough.

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper just put out a code (P2104 ETC System Forced idle) Any idea what this might mean.

This is the drive-by-wire system. Either the sensor is faulty or the drive actuator is bad.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet its because I replaced the battery, and should go away after driving a few miles. Even with all the issues I having, the GEN V is a dam good looking car.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty crappy luck some of us are having and some have it alot worse than others. Hope it all gets sorted out soon.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do. U buy a house on four wheels and expect it to function as intended. It's frustrating when it doesn't. And I totally understand the hesitancy to take it to these dealers.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. As I suspected, it was the fuel cap release button on the door panel. I asked the service manager where I purchased the viper to check with another one and to let me know if the dash light come on when you press the button. I didn't here back from him today so I decided to investigate on my own. I partially removed the bottom part of the door panel, and the fuel button popped out a little, so I pressed the button and it opened the gas cap. I reconnected the battery terminal and closed everything up and NO dash lights. All that is left is a check engine light with a few codes. Will I be able to clear the codes with a scanner.
I thank everyone on this forum for your help

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome sambo32. anytime you want to go cruising, I am one borough away. drop me a line!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. As I suspected, it was the fuel cap release button on the door panel. I asked the service manager where I purchased the viper to check with another one and to let me know if the dash light come on when you press the button. I didn't here back from him today so I decided to investigate on my own. I partially removed the bottom part of the door panel, and the fuel button popped out a little, so I pressed the button and it opened the gas cap. I reconnected the battery terminal and closed everything up and NO dash lights. All that is left is a check engine light with a few codes. Will I be able to clear the codes with a scanner.
I thank everyone on this forum for your help
If it is like Gen 4, you will have to drive the car a bit to go through the readiness cycles. May be a good idea to spray some contact cleaner to lubricate the switch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950