Chrysler dealers eager to sell 2013 SRT Viper

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the Detroit Free Press;

As Chrysler prepares to launch the new Viper, only about 100 to 150 of more than 2,300 U.S. dealers will be approved to sell it, said Ralph Gilles, CEO of the SRT brand.
Dealers are receiving letters this week that outline how they can qualify to sell the car that will have an 8.4-liter V10 engine with 640 horsepower.
The No. 1 requirement "Is first of all, to have the fire, the passion," Gilles said. "That's the unofficial requirement -- that you have a love affair with the cars and you just love fast cars."
While the car will sell in low volumes, most dealers are eager to get their hands on it.
"It's the image. I want to be able to say I have Viper," said Chuck Eddy, owner of Bob and Chuck Eddy Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram near Youngstown, Ohio.
The base price is $99,390, while the more-refined 2013 SRT Viper GTS starts at $122,390.
Introduced as the Dodge Viper in 1992, it was sold through 2010 when the automaker's financial crisis caused Chrysler to put the brakes on production. The all-new Viper will sold under Chrysler's SRT, or Street and Racing Technology, brand, overseen by Gilles.
Dealers can start ordering the Viper in November, and a handful are expected to reach showrooms by Christmas, Gilles said. It will be built at Chrysler's Conner Avenue plant in Detroit.

To qualify to sell Viper, dealers must pay a total of $25,000 for two separate agreements.
The first $5,000 is for a special certification for the SRT lineup.
In return, they get SRT signs, logos, sales and service training for SRT models along with a full day of track time with professional drivers for three of the dealership's staff members. In addition, dealers must be willing to pay $20,000 for additional additional sales and technical training, service tools and track time.
While Viper will be the highest-profile SRT vehicle, the lineup also includes the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Chrysler 300 C SRT8 and Challenger SRT8. Gilles said Chrysler will sell more than 13,000 SRT models in North America this year and expects that number will climb next year.
"In terms of orders, we have more orders for cars than we are going to be able to build this year," Gilles said.
Dealers have until the end of September to apply, Gilles said. Once they apply, Chrysler will meet with dealers and review the number of Vipers they might get if they are approved.
It won't be many.
Chrysler plans to produce only about 2,000 SRT Vipers per year, Gilles said. Allocations will reflect demographics of a dealer's area such as population and average income, as well as the demand for other exotic cars.
"I want the person coming in to shop for an SRT product to meet someone who knows more about the product than they do," Gilles said. "That's really what I am looking for here."

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I want the person coming in to shop for an SRT product to meet someone who knows more about the product than they do," Gilles said. "That's really what I am looking for here."

I'll believe THAT when I see or hear it!!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"In terms of orders, we have more orders for cars than we are going to be able to build this year,"

I would be shocked if that were true. Did they really already receive that many deposits?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am hearing of about 500 pre orders for cars here in the Omaha and Blair area. So 2000 is not unheard of.

Bruce

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought a Lamborghini!!!???? I knew you had been talking about it. Congrats. How is it compared to the ACR?

I'll let you know after it arrives Tuesday....pretty excited going to be a looooong weekend.
Found a Superleggera with sub 4K on it in Orange....my dream car.
It's on the way up from Dallas Lamborghini.
Made a post with a few pics in the NY/CT regional forum.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am hearing of about 500 pre orders for cars here in the Omaha and Blair area. So 2000 is not unheard of.

Bruce

So they have no more left? They are sold out already?? Can Bill or Bernie or Mark comment on this??

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key words may be "this year". Production starts in December. I doubt that they will make more than 10 a day.
"In terms of orders, we have more orders for cars than we are going to be able to build this year,"

I would be shocked if that were true. Did they really already receive that many deposits?

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The key words may be "this year". Production starts in December. I doubt that they will make more than 10 a day.

Absolutely, very clever wording by Ralph. They are at capacity for orders this year, which can only be a few hundred units.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely, very clever wording by Ralph. They are at capacity for orders this year, which can only be a few hundred units.

I guess I didn't think about it this way. Hell, if I was ready to purchase, I would have called Bernie or Bill and begged for a spot. What a clever bastard, LOL!!!! :rolaugh:

Kudos Ralph, but if I ever meet you; you owe me a beer just because. :cool:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You watch these numbers dwindle year after year. Just look at ZR1 numbers. Just how many people have a 100k sitting around for play money"not many" your getting into exotic car territory at that price. And i would not call the Viper a exotic. Fantastic american muscle, yes but for 125k you can grab a lambo at that price, just saying.....

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You watch these numbers dwindle year after year. Just look at ZR1 numbers. Just how many people have a 100k sitting around for play money"not many" your getting into exotic car territory at that price. And i would not call the Viper a exotic. Fantastic american muscle, yes but for 125k you can grab a lambo at that price, just saying.....

You can also grab a porsche,ferrari,Zr1, Gt40, etc etc...its what you want in the end. It not what you can get your hands on. If your truly a Viper nut then youll get a Viper. If your just looking to get a car for the attention,then you have options. I always wondered why anyway buys any other car around 50K than a Viper. Why would someone spend 65K on a new Mustang or a Corvette? Well the answer is that is what they like. Some <unfortunatly,don't see the Viper the way we do. Most need glasses a doctor or hearing aids

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree.....I've been told many a time...(over the years) why spend that kind of money on American Muscle?! when you can get (for the same money) a Porsche or some other foreign (perhaps more respected ) sports car?!
I agree totally with slitherv10.....those (often snobby) naysayers just don't get it! They're too closeminded to really see and appreciate how fun and fantastic viper has been and continues to be!! They're well worth every penny and more!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh so if someone wants to get a nice car like a Lambo, Porsche or Ferrari they can't actually like the car it's only to be snobby and show off. Does that same principal apply to a bigger home, a nicer suit etc. Why eat at at a nice steak restaurant when you can have McDonalds you get just as full. Maybe people should look inside themselves and ask why they feel resentful of people with something better, newer or nicer than theirs?

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh so if someone wants to get a nice car like a Lambo, Porsche or Ferrari they can't actually like the car it's only to be snobby and show off. Does that same principal apply to a bigger home, a nicer suit etc. Why eat at at a nice steak restaurant when you can have McDonalds you get just as full. Maybe people should look inside themselves and ask why they feel resentful of people with something better, newer or nicer than theirs?

No, they shouldn't!!! Because you didn't pay your fair share of taxes and I don't have health insurance. :D

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By definition the Viper is an exotic, an entry level exotic. It's (was) a bargain alternative to the non-supercar Ferraris and Lamborghinis, etc. Now a supercar? No fricken way. Sheeple have been throwing that term around lately, maybe because they can't afford a real one. "Supercars" nowadays are $600k+. Most start around $1mm and go up from there.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By definition the Viper is an exotic, an entry level exotic. It's (was) a bargain alternative to the non-supercar Ferraris and Lamborghinis, etc. Now a supercar? No fricken way. Sheeple have been throwing that term around lately, maybe because they can't afford a real one. "Supercars" nowadays are $600k+. Most start around $1mm and go up from there.
If your definiton is price. Most people don't use that as sole definition.

Reaction score
I think he means for the 2013 "year", and yes I believe the 2013 year will be sold out fast at this rate. I won't "guess" at a number of pre orders locally, I only count actual deposited orders ;-)

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he means for the 2013 "year", and yes I believe the 2013 year will be sold out fast at this rate. I won't "guess" at a number of pre orders locally, I only count actual deposited orders ;-)

How many deposits you have thus far? Are they refundable!?

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the Detroit Free Press;

As Chrysler prepares to launch the new Viper, only about 100 to 150 of more than 2,300 U.S. dealers will be approved to sell it, said Ralph Gilles, CEO of the SRT brand.
Dealers are receiving letters this week that outline how they can qualify to sell the car that will have an 8.4-liter V10 engine with 640 horsepower.
The No. 1 requirement "Is first of all, to have the fire, the passion," Gilles said. "That's the unofficial requirement -- that you have a love affair with the cars and you just love fast cars."
While the car will sell in low volumes, most dealers are eager to get their hands on it.
"It's the image. I want to be able to say I have Viper," said Chuck Eddy, owner of Bob and Chuck Eddy Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram near Youngstown, Ohio.
The base price is $99,390, while the more-refined 2013 SRT Viper GTS starts at $122,390.
Introduced as the Dodge Viper in 1992, it was sold through 2010 when the automaker's financial crisis caused Chrysler to put the brakes on production. The all-new Viper will sold under Chrysler's SRT, or Street and Racing Technology, brand, overseen by Gilles.
Dealers can start ordering the Viper in November, and a handful are expected to reach showrooms by Christmas, Gilles said. It will be built at Chrysler's Conner Avenue plant in Detroit.

To qualify to sell Viper, dealers must pay a total of $25,000 for two separate agreements.
The first $5,000 is for a special certification for the SRT lineup.
In return, they get SRT signs, logos, sales and service training for SRT models along with a full day of track time with professional drivers for three of the dealership's staff members. In addition, dealers must be willing to pay $20,000 for additional additional sales and technical training, service tools and track time.
While Viper will be the highest-profile SRT vehicle, the lineup also includes the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, Chrysler 300 C SRT8 and Challenger SRT8. Gilles said Chrysler will sell more than 13,000 SRT models in North America this year and expects that number will climb next year.
"In terms of orders, we have more orders for cars than we are going to be able to build this year," Gilles said.
Dealers have until the end of September to apply, Gilles said. Once they apply, Chrysler will meet with dealers and review the number of Vipers they might get if they are approved.
It won't be many.
Chrysler plans to produce only about 2,000 SRT Vipers per year, Gilles said. Allocations will reflect demographics of a dealer's area such as population and average income, as well as the demand for other exotic cars.

I hope the dealers take the long view and don't try to price gorge with the old "market adjustment add on." But I fear that is asking too much. :(

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Oh so if someone wants to get a nice car like a Lambo, Porsche or Ferrari they can't actually like the car it's only to be snobby and show off."

Absolutely not....what I'm saying is to each his own....if I want to buy a VIPER I should be "allowed" to do so! I can't tell you how much disdain I've gotten from owners of the aforementioned groups.....like we're not even as good as VETTE owners...forget about Porsches ...BMWs....Lambo...what have you....all cars I love also btw!! (just not enough to want to own one.)

Viper owners (in general) seem to me to be a way more fun loving APPROACHABLE bunch of car enthusiasts...to everybody...(that's just my experience and opinion.).

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also grab a porsche,ferrari,Zr1, Gt40, etc etc...its what you want in the end. It not what you can get your hands on. If your truly a Viper nut then youll get a Viper. If your just looking to get a car for the attention,then you have options. I always wondered why anyway buys any other car around 50K than a Viper. Why would someone spend 65K on a new Mustang or a Corvette? Well the answer is that is what they like. Some <unfortunatly,don't see the Viper the way we do. Most need glasses a doctor or hearing aids

I think this thread is derailing, however you can't compare a new car to a used car. Buy the car you want and get over it. Why does everyone care so much about other peoples comments? Now back on track.................it's great to hear what Ralph wants to happen, how long it takes or if it even happens is going to be dependant on how strong his will is and if he truly has an iron fist. I for one am proud to hear his comments, and that's what this country needs, commitment and perserverance from the top. Go Ralph!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO dealer greed will be what makes or breaks the launch. Though, there will be plenty of people shelling out the $20,000+ markups that dealers will toss on the vehicles.

I am interested in picking up an SRT base next year (No interest in the GTS).

But, I've never even paid MSRP for a vehicle, I have no intention on paying a dealer "Markup" to get one. Now, paying MSRP for this new line I may have to do, but I think that is acceptable.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me a moot point with forum dealers wiiling to sell at MSRP and ship the car to you. The question is once you get the car, do you have a local dealer for service.

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC;

The bigger question is going to be if Ralph really sticks to his guns or not and is willing to walk away from some of these shaddy dealers who have the money to just hand over a check no questions asked, but don't really have the passion and commitment long term beyond the sale? We have seen that scenerio all the time and unfortunately it does seem that money trumps all common sense.

Remember most of the "bad" dealers that don't really care about the car or solid trusting long term support will gladly throw out a $25K or even a $35K check. They spend much more than that on marketing, without even a blink. Then, they will pass it on to the people that buy the car via the famous hand written **** sticker. I believe the approval criteria should be for the dealership to present their writtten plan to Ralph along with a face to face presentation. Rather than telling them what you want and them saying okay, why not ask them how they plan to support it all and their approach. That will tell you 10 times more about these guys than follow the leader.

Sorry but still a major issue in some areas. Colorado is still MIA for the "right" dealer to step forth so we will see. Other than the big ones, other areas are just as bad. I am not holding my breath. If one does step forth in Colroado, it will most likely be one of the slimers that do I am sure and why you say? Because they have the money from royally screwing people for years. Even the Jeep dealer with good service that has the certified Viper Tech has SRT8s on the lot, Jeep, Chrysler, etc. All with varying levels of **** sticker on each and every one. Just depends on how much *********** you can handle.

Sorry, the initial starting post sounds like a good plan but we will see if it even remotely approaches that. I am just skeptical based upon decades of proof to the contrary. Sorry but Dealer Mark-Up stickers should be illegal and dealership should be fined. Used car, they should be able to sell for whatever they want high or low but a new vehicle should be maxed out at MRSP.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me a moot point with forum dealers wiiling to sell at MSRP and ship the car to you. The question is once you get the car, do you have a local dealer for service.

Define "local".
With the reported 100+ authorized dealers nationwide, the odds are probably not.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then those who don't will just have to pass and buy something else....maybe a lamborghini? The Viper is just about to become more exclusive, for better or worse.
QUOTE=ViperJon;3109969]Define "local".
With the reported 100+ authorized dealers nationwide, the odds are probably not.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456